X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to use or not to use sharkbite

just wondering how they work and maybe some pro and cons .

THANKS

Re: to use or not to use sharkbite

take a gander......................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVvcw..._sharkbite.php

Comment

there has been several reported failures with sharkbite in harsher conditions

Comment

As a plumber, I see what happens to rubber seals in contact with chlorinated/treated water all the time.
        In knowing that, I won't use them.
        They are completely dependant on a rubber O-ring to seal.
        If harsh weather has already proven them ineffective, it's probably symbolic of wear and tear over time as well.

Do you have any links on this info?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter
          They are completely dependant on a rubber O-ring to seal.
          So are 1/4 turn stops, Nibco valves, many ball valves, and commercial ProPress fittings.

Comment

its not the o-ring that the problem with them. its the low pressure they can only opearte at. 200psi or below.

Comment

Originally posted by Herk View Post
              So are 1/4 turn stops, Nibco valves, many ball valves, and commercial ProPress fittings.
              Thats exactly my point.
              How often do you get calls for leaking stops & valves?
              When you can no longer tighten packing nuts, you can at least replace them as they're intentionally installed where we can access them.
              Sharkbites are allowed in concealed locations in many jurisictions now...I can just see the problems down the road.
              Propress is new also, time is the test.

Originally posted by nibcorules View Post
              its not the o-ring that the problem with them. its the low pressure they can only opearte at. 200psi or below.
              I sampled sharkbite on a low pressure application, a baseboard run in a garage.
              If I appled lateral (sideways or twisting) pressure, they weeped...that was at under 20 psi.

The O ring is in a fixed circular position...any movement or pressure that creates the slightest ovalling seemed to allow a break in it's seal.
              I can't imagine how long it takes for treated or hard water to eat away just enough for a leak.

Propess may have that advantage over sharkbite where they're crimped, but lets just say I'm a wimp ....too afraid to stake my livelyhood on it.

Comment

I think we all battle through this question differantly. I stock a small assortment of sharkbites on my truck for emargencies. I try as hard as I can not to use them if I can help it. They are a last resort for me. I have never used one in an inaccessable area but, I will freely use them in houses that are going to be replumbed in the near future..

Comment

i feel everything has its place and its use, they may end up in the high court of praise or the low court of trash, but i will say this they are handy in low ****ty crawl spaces,let time be the judge.

Comment

I would put money down on the leaking fitting with the sharkbite to the end of the pipe not being flat and or not inserted completely into the fitting. Your pipe needs to be straight and run at tight right angles right at the fitting. Some inspectors might fail them as a mechanical joint depends on where its located because it will fail, the O-rings will not last forever, and that is the critical test against municipal tap water.

Comment

Originally posted by notrichyrich View Post
                      I would put money down on the leaking fitting with the sharkbite to the end of the pipe not being flat and or not inserted completely into the fitting. Your pipe needs to be straight and run at tight right angles right at the fitting. Some inspectors might fail them as a mechanical joint depends on where its located because it will fail, the O-rings will not last forever, and that is the critical test against municipal tap water.
                      In my example above, they were both couplings & 90's.
                      Granted water piping isn't going to be stretched or twisted in ordinary situations, but the fact that you can cause them to leak with movement distresses me.
                      I see it as a sign of how little corrosion or wear they'll handle over time.
                      I have to admit, Aero has a good example of where I might use them, suspended over a dirt crawlspace where it's a major act of congressw just to get a few basic hand tools in with you.
                      I'd have to go to confession though to get it off my chest.

Comment

They are crap crap crappity crap
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          They are crap crap crappity crap
                          Thats an excellent technical breakdown.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Propress is new also, time is the test.
                            Already been done in Europe for the last twenty or so years.

Comment

All chime in here as someone that has used press-in fittings for over 15 years. We use these fittings in a lot of industrial high purity water treatment applications

John Guest an English company actually invented the concept of a push in fitting over twenty years ago. Today I can name at least six other companies that have followed suit once the patents ran out, most of them are junk.

These fittings work under three conditions.
                              A) they have enough line pressure to keep the -o- ring sealed, and
                              B) there is no undue vibration or movement of the fitting. (this is the biggie)

C) They have the right composite -o- ring to handle the water conditions.

Other then the three items listed above we see failures due to bad cuts on the pipe. The pipe not being properly de-burred and cleaned. Remember your shoving a pipe through an -o- ring. If the pipe has burrs it is going to cut the -o- ring and it will eventually fail.

Using an improper OD pipe with the fitting. There video is a little deceiving, not all plastic, pex etc.. piping has the same OD as copper.

Comment

Working...
                              X