Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe threading question from a millwright who should know

HELP ME!!!

I am so frustrated. At my plant we have so many steam leaks and the maint. staff here are not pipefitters, me included. my question is; " How many threads should there be on black iron pipe? Are there a certain # of threads that should be showing? " One of the guys here believes that if there are threads showing after the pipe is totally tightened, that it will leak. I know this not to be true but didn't want to confront him about it without documentation, seeing that he is a little old-school and set in his ways. where do I find this hard proof?

The Canadian Millwright
    If you don't know, ASK!

Re: Pipe threading question from a millwright who should know

I generally use the 3 trick. 3 full turns by hand, 3 full turns with the wrench and 3 threads showing

Comment

what type of threader are you using?

Comment

There should be 7 perfect threads, sharp and clean, not nicks or gouges. 3 imperfect threads that are slightly flat on the tops and 3 to 4 that are quite flat on the top.

The 3 - 3 - 3 rule works quite well. If your threads look good and are proper there are two more things to check. One is over tightning. The other is not enough thread sealant or the wrong thread sealant.
        sigpic

Comment

Tell your old school colleague that over tightening can cause leaks..Black iron is malleable and stretches reasonably easy...I'm sure lots of guys here have seen a split fitting or 2 caused by over tightening
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
            what type of threader are you using?
            Ridgid m300 machine R12. Why?
            does it make a differenc what kind of threader u use as to how many threads there should be?
            If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

I still don' have a clue where to find any of this on paper as some kind of proof because this guy won't believe my say so. He wants to see it in a book or somtehing. do you or anyone else know the name of a book I can find it in? Maybe someone who has recently been through trade school and remembers where it can b found.
              You guys are all awesome
              If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

The answer can be found here.

Comment

Hey Killer. That's a great site, thanks. Lots of interesting stuff there.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Hey Killer. That's a great site, thanks. Lots of interesting stuff there.
                    You're welcome.

Comment

Killer you should submit that to the Jobsite Links Page

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Killer you should submit that to the Jobsite Links Page
                        Feel free, I don't know what that is. I ran across that site a few years ago when I was searching for a metric conversion formula.

Comment

Killertoiletspider, just wanted to say thanks big time for that site, I just book marked it.
                          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                            Feel free, I don't know what that is. I ran across that site a few years ago when I was searching for a metric conversion formula.

It's only on every page of this website how can you miss it?
                            Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

yes, It does make a difference, There's no adjustment on the 12r set. Personally I wouldn't hand the old timer anything, you'll just offend or insult him. you have to show him by proof.
                              Last edited by stokefire7; 06-08-2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X