advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: advice

Not a clue, but I have seen a pile of tefloned compression and flair fittings as well as a bunch of the same slathered with rector-seal or worse yet that black sticky tar like varnish crap that leaps out of the can the second you open it and even though your tool box is back at the shop somehow manages to spill all over the inside of it.

Way way back in my apprentice years my master reamed me a new one for doping the wrong parts of fittings. As he explained it to me "if the joint is leaking it's most likely that there is a lack of lubrication on the threads that leads to galling when you tighten the fitting which is why you should put a couple drops of oil on the threads, not pipe dope.

I think if I look in the Mech. code commentary I can find a reference but it's late and I just don't feel like it.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: advice

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
      that black sticky tar like varnish crap that leaps out of the can the second you open it and even though your tool box is back at the shop somehow manages to spill all over the inside of it.
      Permatex.

I hate that stuff, but it works well for keeping cramite gaskets from sliding out of flanged fittings.

Comment

Working...
      X