Replacing shut-off valve under toilet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing shut-off valve under toilet

I will replace the supply tube with a flexible one after I install a new toilet after I install a new floor.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftwerk View Post
      Well I found the same brand valve (brass craft) at Home Depot, except a quarter-turn version. The old compression nut matched up so I tried it first with a light amount of joint compound on the threads. It dripped water after I turned the water back on. So then I tightened it up a little more and it still dripped.

After this I took it off again and reapplied compound on the threads, covering them better, and I also applied some to the compression ring itself. I tightened it a little tighter and it does not leak now.

However in the DIY book I have it specifically says not to use joint compound, it calls for the use a small amount of oil on the threads. It says the old compression ring should be removed every time the fitting comes off (but no advice on how to remove it).

Anyway it seems to work so I guess I will keep an eye on it.
      Pipe dope on the threads is useless (except maybe for lubrication). Congratulations on using some on the mating surfaces. You should have years of trouble free service.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Always replace the supply line when you remove or adjust an old one, changing fill valves, pulling toilets, faucets, everything gets a new supply line, the old one has a great chance of leaking.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
        X