Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

fumes from sink, Double trapping?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

    upstream of the p-trap

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

      Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
      Are you on Well Water or City Water?
      Aldergrove, BC is City Water but is from a 'Well' (Aquifer)

      Is this a second story bathroom?
      Two story home and it is on the second floor.. This is the highest drain on this stack but one of the last to tie in.

      Are absolutely sure your trap keeps water?
      Please do not ask questions that have already been answered.

      Do you know for a fact that once the drain under the sink enters the wall it is not attached to anything else? Have you opened the wall and looked?
      No I haven't opened the wall to look but there are no other fixtures above or below it nor piping or vents.

      The bottom line from an engineering and physics standpoint is its impossible to get sewer gas smell if what your showing in the pictures is true. You would have to vacuum gas through the trap while water was running. That takes positive pressure to achieve. The only way I could see that happening is if there was another line tied into the drain in the wall directly behind the sink.
      This is what I think is happening, Positive Pressure. Please see my drawing posted earlier. Please read my theory.


      The only other thing I could think of is water quality.
      Water quality is ok, no other water faucets produce this sewer smell.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

        Originally posted by stokefire7 View Post
        upstream of the p-trap
        No, there is no reason to.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

          Originally posted by djrenek1 View Post
          i was was thinking if you have a second floor maybe that line for the lav goes straight up and is being wet vented to another fixture like the stack is , the waste rushing vertically down from the upstairs fixture might be blowing the trap seal
          Originally Posted by Watersurgeon

          Is this a second story bathroom?
          Two story home and it is on the second floor.. This is the highest drain on this stack but one of the last to tie in.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

            OK, so I update my graphic to explain this theory of why the smell is emanating from the sink drain. I am unsure why nobody who even attempted to answer my original questions.

            I believe this 7' section of pipe is too slow (6"drop).
            If it backs up with water, it would trap any gases between it and the sinks P trap. As more water enters, this would create a positive pressure situation forcing the gases up and out the drain.

            Seems to make sense to me, anyone else?
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

              Has this problem always existed?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                Ever since we got the house 2 years ago.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                  Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                  Sounds to me like your trap goes into the wall and straigt down until it hits the stack and the only vent of the lav is from the main stack . which acts almost like an S trap as it is not vented until after it ties into the main stack. You might think about installing an air addmittace valve underneath the bathroom sink . That will eliminate the burping Isue and more than likely the oder you are getting
                  I think this is it. The slope of the pipe is on the extreme side, not the other way around. The wye that goes from hor to vert can block air. If this is a recent problem, I think it's hair in the pop up drain.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                    Listen to ridgidpipe, he's on the right track.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                      Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Listen to ridgidpipe, he's on the right track.
                      Originally Posted by ridgidpipe
                      Sounds to me like your trap goes into the wall and straigt down until it hits the stack and the only vent of the lav is from the main stack . which acts almost like an S trap as it is not vented until after it ties into the main stack. You might think about installing an air addmittace valve underneath the bathroom sink . That will eliminate the burping Isue and more than likely the oder you are getting

                      Where does it go?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                        Between the trap and the wall. Might want to call a plumber for this one.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                          Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          I think this is it. The slope of the pipe is on the extreme side, not the other way around. The wye that goes from hor to vert can block air. If this is a recent problem, I think it's hair in the pop up drain.
                          I dont understand what you are trying to say.

                          NO HAIR THERE.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                            In the second picture as it comes thru the floor does the sink have a santee and a vent or just the series of 45's I see kinda looks like and s trap.
                            Seattle Drain Service

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                              Originally posted by Dionysius View Post
                              I dont understand what you are trying to say.

                              NO HAIR THERE.
                              Forget the hair. Normal slope is 1/4" per foot. You have almost 1" per foot. Do you understand the words coming across your screen?(say real slow)
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

                                Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                                In the second picture as it comes thru the floor does the sink have a santee and a vent or just the series of 45's I see kinda looks like and s trap.
                                Here is a closeup. It looks like to me, going downstream, from the vertical pipe to a 45, to a short straight piece, to a 45, and then across.
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X