X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: fumes from sink, Double trapping?

As I look at the 3rd picture at the stack for wet venting the line should connect above the w/c connection.
    Ridgidpipe was correct it is an s trap and it siphons away your water in your p trap letting sewer gases into your home.
    Last edited by Cuda; 06-12-2008, 01:38 AM.
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
      As I look at the 3rd picture at the stack for wet venting the line should connect above the w/c connection.
      Ridgidpipe was correct it is an s trap and it siphons away your water in your p trap letting sewer gases into your home.
      Thanks for pointing that out.

I have just made my final decision on the matter; I am tearing the bathroom apart and starting from scratch and when it goes, so is the stack. That shouldnt cost too much more?

Then I am going to sell and get out of here before something else goes... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dionysius View Post
        Water quality is ok, no other water faucets produce this sewer smell.
        You did not answer all my questions?

Comment

[quote=Dionysius;150004]There is no breaks in the stream between the sink trap and the stack however; the stream flows from the trap, into the wall, straight down, turns just over 90 degrees, runs 7 feet and then takes another turn of nearly 45 degrees before it hits the stack. At no time does this pipe-line break the horizontal barrier.

The only vent is at the top of the main stack, yes.

I am unsure if a air admittance valve would work, isn't this a pressure and not vacuum problem?. Where would you attach it on to the pipeline?

I have included a diagram for better clarity.

I have Seen air admittance valves that are a intragle part of the trap
          Or where the ABS pipe comes out of the wall under the sink add a tee with a with a with a pipe going up at least 4 inches above the weir of the trap and put on a hub by female adaptor then your AAV Then trap the sink As before. You may have to Use a street 45 first if you dont have enough room . I have also seem AAVs as an intrgal part of the trap itself

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
            The bottom line from an engineering and physics standpoint is its impossible to get sewer gas smell if what your showing in the pictures is true. You would have to vacuum gas through the trap while water was running. That takes positive pressure to achieve. The only way I could see that happening is if there was another line tied into the drain in the wall directly behind the sink.
            If what you are saying is true, then you have just confirmed my theory. Higher pressures within the pipe forces the air out, or is vacuumed out the sink by the lower pressure outside the pipe.

Thanks

Comment

If what you are saying is true, then you have just confirmed my theory. Higher pressures within the pipe forces the air out, or is vacuumed out the sink by the lower pressure outside the pipe.

Thanks
              You seem very eager to prove your theory. Did you make a bet with a significant other on who was right?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There is no breaks in the stream between the sink trap and the stack however; the stream flows from the trap, into the wall, straight down, turns just over 90 degrees, runs 7 feet and then takes another turn of nearly 45 degrees before it hits the stack. At no time does this pipe-line break the horizontal barrier.

The only vent is at the top of the main stack, yes.

I am unsure if a air admittance valve would work, isn't this a pressure and not vacuum problem?. Where would you attach it on to the pipeline?

I have included a diagram for better clarity.

Thanks
                NICE DRAWING BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT THEIR IS NO VENT COMING FROM THE TOP OF THE SINK DRAIN? DID YOU OPEN UP THE WALL AND SEEN THAT IT IS A 90 THAT DROPS STRAIGHT DOWN AND DOES NOT RUN ANYWHERE ELSE AND TIE INTO A VENT TEE? DO YOU HAVE AN INSPECTION STICKER ON ANY PART OF YOUR PLUMBING SYSTEM THAT SAYS APPROVED? IF THAT PIPE DOES NOT HAVE A VENT ON IT IT WILL SIPHON EVERY TIME THE TOILET IF FLUSHED AND YOU WILL HAVE THE SMELL COMING FROM THE SINK. THE WAY YOU SOUNDED IN YOUR FIRST POST WAS THAT EVERY TIME YOU RUN THE FAUCET YOU GET A SMELL FOR 1 TO 2 MINUTES AND THEN IT GOES AWAY. IF THAT IS CORRECT AND YOU DON'T HAVE THE SMELL OTHER THAN WHEN YOU RUN THE FAUCET IT IS NOT A VENTING ISSUE!!!! HAVE YOU TRIED SNAKING THE DRAIN JUST FOR S**TS AND GIGGLES? YOU NEVER KNOW IT MAY BE A PARTIAL CLOG? YOUR WATER PRESSURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW WELL YOUR DRAIN WORKS AS THE FAUCET WILL ONLY PUT OUT X AMOUNT OF GALLONS PER MINUTE AND THE 1 1/4 DISCHARGE WILL ONLY TAKE X AMOUNT OF WATER SO IF YOU SAY IT IS FILLING UP IN YOUR SINK YOU SHOULD TAKE SOME ADVICE FROM SOME OF THE FORUM MEMBERS AND CHECK YOUR DRAIN COMPLETELY BY RUNNING A SNAKE THROUGH IT.
                ________
                BUY MARIJUANA SEEDS
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Pour bleach in the overflow at the front of the bowl.

Comment

Working...
                  X