X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Noise

My sister had a water leak on her line from the house to the meter. A company came in and replaced the entire line. Now when she flushes the toilet it makes a horrible and loud noise. She can go to the other bathroom and turn on the water and the sound goes away. On the bathroom sink faucet you can actually feel the vibration. What has caused this to start and what needs to be done to fix this?

Re: Loud Noise

sounds like the angle stop is not open all the way and the washer is fluttering. check that and open it up all the way.

or clean the ballcock and flush the line.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Could also be a partially open gate valve, either main shutoff, or somewhere in line.

Greg

Comment

sounds like water hammer from an improperly installed line. lack of or poorly placed hanger and supports.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          sounds like water hammer from an improperly installed line. lack of or poorly placed hanger and supports.
          is the water meter in the house and did the put a back flow protector on it . maybe there wasn't one on there before and they did not put an expansion tank on the system
          but i would look at the way it is supported to like bob said
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

All the above or possibley more options...hard to generally guess online with a simple description.

You have better/increased flow at the main, so I'll guess either water hammer or a valve washer is loose and the problem has been revealed by the higher volume of flow.

Comment

The house I grew up in had a bad ballcock for months.Shook the whole house

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                The house I grew up in had a bad ballcock for months.Shook the whole house
                That was a new DIY fad...built in vibrating whole body massager, sold exclusivley at Homely Despot.

Comment

Most of the time when I run into this problem replacing the toilet ballcock works most of the time. If that doesnt take care of the problem I check the pressure reducing valve and make sure that there is a good working thermal expansion tank on the water heater

Comment

Loud sounds are generally caused by faulty Pressure Reducing Valves, PRV.

You said these guys replaced the line from the house to the meter. Did they replace the PRV. Chances are they got crap in the line, over soldered, dirt, etc.. and it wedged in the PRV. If the PRV is built into the street side of the meter or the city regulates the pressure the city needs a call.

When we get emergency calls for, let's say a ruptured water treatment tank, the first question we ask is if there has been any type of street construction in the area, or whether they have a fire hydrant in the vacinity. The answer is usually yes.

Once we hear that we know that a) someone opened a hydrant and it shocked the water mains in the vacinity which usually blows out a PRV, or if the city was working on a water main they got crap in the line when they reinstalled it and since our customer is the most likely user of high volumn water in the area, they got the debri in the water line.

We replaced a PRV in one customer and two weeks later they had a rupture. Boy were the P.O. First question, by any chance is there any construction going on in the area. Customer: Yeh, the city has the street out in front of the plant all torn up.

We go out to the sight and sure enought the idiots were working on the city main. We pull the PRV apart and it has gravel in it.

Comment

"You said these guys replaced the line from the house to the meter. "

DOH! I missed that in the OP. I was thinking the line INSIDE the house was replaced.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The plumber that went out to my sisters house did replace the line from the house to the meter on the street. I am guessing it was about 50ft. They charged her $5000. Now with this loud noise when the water is turned on in the house the plumber is saying the PRV needs to be replaced saying it cannot handle the water pressure. He wants $1200 to replace this. Feedback is welcome for my sisters sake.

Comment

I can replace a 3/4" for as cheap as $125.00,that's if it's my next door neighbor and it's swett/copper double union outside the house in an easily accesible area.

What size you got?
                          What does he know that I don't?
                          What type of material is it,50 year old galvanized thats going to crumble to pieces as soon as I pull into your driveway

Yes it could be a $1200.00 job.Maybe even double that.Shoot what do I know,it could be triple.

Pictures would help a lot.

Adam

Comment

if this is the same plumber that did the other work he should have known he may have needed to change it when he did the other work
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              if this is the same plumber that did the other work he should have known he may have needed to change it when he did the other work
                              Agreed,
                              I wonder if he just figured that he made such a killing on the service he'd knowingly hit up the same cash cow later on.
                              You know how they do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X