Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drip pan under water heater

Originally posted by navysuit View Post
    I just read online that if your house is built on a slab with no wood subfloor, you do not need a panor you can just cap off the drain line to the pan. Has anybody heard of this before?
    Sure the majority of water heaters don't have a pan to begin with. Rather than beating yourself up over this just forget you have a pan and when/if the water heater leaks hope it is a small leak.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The reason I ask is that the drain line would be hard to run. I would have build a platform and run it through walls. This means I would have to cut sheet rock and drill through studs. I'm still looking into having an alarm like water surgeon recommended. Let's say I called one of you guys up to come to my house to replace the water heater. The old heater has no pan and is in the middle of the house. What would you do in this scenario?

a. install the water heater with no pan
      b. install the water heater with a pan and build a platform for proper elevation and run a drain line (pan installed)
      c. install pan and cap it
      d. install pan and have water alarm
      e. install pan and install alarm with shut off valve

What would your competitors do?
      Last edited by navysuit; 06-14-2008, 06:27 PM.

Comment

OMG! This is getting beat to death.

J.C.

Comment

b. install the water heater with a pan and build a platform for proper elevation and run a drain line (pan installed)
          d. install pan and cap it
          e. install pan and have water alarm
          f. install pan and install alarm with shut off valve

With this scenario I always go with option C

Comment

That killed me PC.

J.C.

Comment

I'm probably just going to hire a plumber. If he recommends that I just replace with no pan or cap pan, is this standard procedure/code?

Comment

Capping the drain is almost like having no pan at all. If the water heater is in a location where it can do property damage when it leaks, its best (and code) to install a pan with a drain.
                That is the only RIGHT way to do it, but its ultimately your choice, ask the plumbers opinion when he comes to look at it.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The reason I ask is that the drain line would be hard to run. I would have build a platform and run it through walls. This means I would have to cut sheet rock and drill through studs. I'm still looking into having an alarm like water surgeon recommended. Let's say I called one of you guys up to come to my house to replace the water heater. The old heater has no pan and is in the middle of the house. What would you do in this scenario?

c. eliminate my water heater and install a black plastic bag on my roof to heat water.
                  d. install pan and have water alarm
                  e. install pan and install alarm with shut off valve

I concur I believe at this point C would be the only viable option available to you.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    I concur I believe at this point C would be the only viable option available to you.

Mark
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I just read online that if your house is built on a slab with no wood subfloor, you do not need a panor you can just cap off the drain line to the pan. Has anybody heard of this before?
                      On an existing home you can either pan or not pan the water heater. You can either run the drain outside if you can or to a floor drain, your choice but seeing that the heater is in the middle of the house I would just forget about using a pan unless your going to be checking it for water periodically. One thing is if you do use a pan make sure that you Do not pipe your T&P into the pan as you will not know if you are having issues that could be dangerous.
                      ________
                      Bmw gina
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

This post is getting beat to death. Navysuit, all assume your retired Navy, and I have great admiration for you and all military branches as the D.O.D. is my largest customer.

I will give you the following questions, you fill in the answer.

1. Do you have a wood floor, quality carpet, nice furniture?
                        2. Does your house have drywall?
                        3. Have you fully read your insurance and all there exclusions? (you will be surprised to find that a lot of policies now omit water damage)

Lets say that tonight your water heater develops a leak at lets say 9:30 pm, just around the time you went to bed. (Yes water heaters generally develop leaks at night because city water pressure goes up at night as more and more people stop using water) The leak is 16 oz a minute. You wake up Sunday at 7:30. That's ten hours of leaking, or about 75 gallons of water.

So the real question you have to ask yourself is how much is the headache and nightmare worth to you?

First your going to have to call your insurance company. If they don't have a twenty four hour emergency service number, your then going to have to call a water damage speciality company.

The first thing there going to do is, a) if you have carpet say good bye its coming out. If the dry wall abosorbed any water. Good by drywall. Once its wet its done. (black mold issues) Furniture. Let's hope you don't have some nice antiques that abosbed water. That's a whole other insurance night mare. So far your entire day has been abosorbed by dealing with crisis managing your water damage, we have not even started on getting a new water heater installed.

Personally if I was in your shoes and I did not want to hassle with ripping open walls, elevating the water heater etc... I would buy the water alarm shut off unit and be done with it.

Smart plumbers carry insurance and a lot of it. We cover our As$ for everything. So why not be a smart home owner and buy some additional insurance in a emg. water shut off alarm.

Just something to think about before you go to bed.

Nothing says FFFFFFFFF more then waking up to a flooded house.
                        Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-14-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aero1 View Post
                          watersurgeon gave you great advice, follow it.
                          hate to quote myself but here goes,read above. this thread is becoming no is ridicules.

Comment

Working...
                          X