X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drip pan under water heater

I have seen drip pans under water heaters with the drain line for the pan capped off. I can't remember if this was in a garage or interior. Do I have to run the drain line for the pan to the exterior?

Re: Drip pan under water heater

run outside or to a floor drain
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Is there any exceptions for existing homes? The old water heater didn't even have a pan. It is in a closet in the middle of the house. It is almost impossible to run outside.

Comment

If your concern is what to do if there is a leak and you can't drain the pan the solution is to put the water heater in a pan, and then install a water detector alarm.

Battery operated item, fairly inexpensive with a sensor that you can put in the pan. Hopefully your home when it goes off.

If want to spend a few dollars, you can install an electronic cut off valve on the inlet side of the water heater which would shut off the flow of water if water was detected in the pan.

A final solution if you have an elevated water heater would be to install a small pump that actuated when water got to specific height. Basically you would have a drain pan installed that had a drain that went down into a small bucket. AC units use these when they can't gravity drain condensate. You would have to find a pump that could handle hot water.

Just did a google search and here is an example of something you might be interested in:

http://www.thewateralarm.com/wateral...p?idCategory=6

Comment

From our experience here in the big KY, whenever we installed any type of drain pan under a water heater or air handler in an attic, we would always terminate the drain line to a noticeable place for the homeowner, such as above the garage entrance or main entrance to the home. Water damage is bad enough, but high water bills in the case of a water heater ain't no fun either. This way they could call someone when they noticed water where it shouldn't be. JONESY

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. The water heater in the closet has never leaked. Is it common for a water heater to spring a leak? It would be unfortunate for that to happen, but I have numerous things that could cause water damage. This would include any of my pipes bursting, washing machine hose breaking, or dishwasher hose breaking. What do you guys do with an existing house where you can't run a drain?

Comment

watersurgeon gave you great advice, follow it.

Comment

The floodstop like the anti flood supply line look like great ideas.

I like the principle of the idea.What does the forum know about them.Like,are the automated ball valves full port.And everyone knows to have a backup valve in case the floodstop fails.

Comment

Originally posted by JONESY View Post
                  From our experience here in the big KY, whenever we installed any type of drain pan under a water heater or air handler in an attic, we would always terminate the drain line to a noticeable place for the homeowner, such as above the garage entrance or main entrance to the home. Water damage is bad enough, but high water bills in the case of a water heater ain't no fun either. This way they could call someone when they noticed water where it shouldn't be. JONESY
                  I have a customer that I wish I'd have terminated the drain line in his freekin mattress.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I have a customer that I wish I'd have terminated the drain line in his freekin mattress.

Comment

Wherever you terminate a water heater pan drain line the most impoartant thing is that it is observable so you know if there is a leak with the water heater have never intalled the alarms and pumps on the pan but sounds like a good idea

Comment

I'll look into the alarms and shut off. I noticed a couple of people made reference to an attic. The water heater is on the first floor in a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by navysuit View Post
                          Is it common for a water heater to spring a leak??
                          Its not a question as to if it will, the question is WHEN?

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                            The floodstop like the anti flood supply line look like great ideas.

I like the principle of the idea.What does the forum know about them.Like,are the automated ball valves full port.And everyone knows to have a backup valve in case the floodstop fails.
                            I don't see any problem with them as long as the home owner actuates them on occassion. Unfortunately we all know that won't happen.

I can't tell you how many times we do an industrial project and we instruct the engineering staff that at least once a month they need to actuate every butterfly and ball valve as PM courseof action.

A year or two later we get a call and go out to the job only to find balls, and butterflys that you literally need to put an extension bar on the handle to get them to turn, and then they rarely ever seat.

I go through my house every couple of months and turn every 1/4 angle stop. I also go to the water heater and actuate the ball valve, and the ball on the incoming line to the house.

Comment

I just read online that if your house is built on a slab with no wood subfloor, you do not need a panor you can just cap off the drain line to the pan. Has anybody heard of this before?

Comment

Working...
                              X