X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooved pipe questions

I have been doing a grooved pipe (Victaulic) demo in class for the past couple of years. 3" pipe with 90's, 45's, couplings, etc...I have each student install a section of pipe, then we test the monster with about 70# of water pressure to check for leaks. What's the best type or brand of lubricant to use on the rubber flex gaskets and what is the most economical grooving machine that Ridgid makes? So far I've been sending my pipe to a former student and he grooves them when he's on a job with the grooving machine.

Re: Grooved pipe questions

You can get a roll groover (the hydraulic model is my favorite) that will fit a 300 power head. This will easily handle up to 6" and can handle up to 8" I believe. You'll at least one roller stand and two is better is you're handling lengths over 8 feet long.

Short pieces can be a challenge but there are ways to groove pieces as short as 4".
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ridgid was just demoing their new hand grover at the last roadshow. it either will work in place or attach to a machine.

i met the designer/ engineer there. his name is brian m.

he can give you all the facts.

with $2500, you can buy that and all the stands plus some

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have never used Victaulic systems so I'm ignorant to them. A plumber friend of mine that worked on commercial jobs told me "Victaulic is garbage. Keeps from doing it right by a true welder for the longterm." He actually seemed kind of mad about it.

Is this correct or is he a little off?

J.C.

Comment

Victaulic is very good with class and training as well as give out info. As fare as Groovers go its all about what you are doing with it. Victaulic makes there own lube but wink wink Gojo works Crisco, Duck butter, soap.

Comment

I have the adaptor for the 300. It works very well. I was first introduced to Victaulic when we piped a couple of oil trucks about 30 years back. Victaulic is producing propress like fittings now in galvanized steel with rubber washers.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              I have never used Victaulic systems so I'm ignorant to them. A plumber friend of mine that worked on commercial jobs told me "Victaulic is garbage. Keeps from doing it right by a true welder for the longterm." He actually seemed kind of mad about it.

Is this correct or is he a little off?

J.C.
              Victaulic is NOT garbage. It is, and has been reliable for many years. He is way off. I use Duck Butter for lube.

Comment

I was gonna crack a silly joke about Duckbutter, but by the time I finished estimates & phone calls tonight and got to this thread, I'd been beat to the punch.

I've done Victaulic on commercial heat lines & sprinklers with the 300 adapter and, of course, duckbutter

Comment

before propress, i have used victaulic roll grooving for large copper up to 6''. same groover, just wheels for copper.

now with propress i can work wet copper up to 4'' in seconds

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Victaulic was originally designed for the army, as it is a quick, reliable way to provide pressurized liquids. The process is simple and provides a union at every joint. The problem with vic for me is finding oddball fittings when im in a pinch
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Since unreamed copper is so big a problem concerning pipe failure; how does the grooving process differ in regards to turbulence in the line?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

we use Vic all the time for our heating and cooling lines(pending on the engineer) but i have no bad things to say bout the stuff. Tiny drip? hit the clamp with a hammer and re-align it. and like others have said before, every joint is a union and can change gaskets and not clamps for different fluids. Great stuff!
                        if u cant bedazzle em with briliance, baffle em with bulls&*t

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Since unreamed copper is so big a problem concerning pipe failure; how does the grooving process differ in regards to turbulence in the line?
                          The groove is on the outside, the fittings have a ridge that mates up with the pipe end so the transition is smooth, though you do still need to ream the pipe.
                          sigpic

Comment

So the ridge doesn't cause turbulance? Or enough to matter?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              So the ridge doesn't cause turbulance? Or enough to matter?
                              It's not enough to cause a problem in most cases Ben. On larger pipe you cut the grove instead of rolling it as you do on small pipe. I forget where the cutoff point is but I've rolled 8", I think you can go to 12".

We had a head for a RIDGID 4" pipe machine that would cut groove for Vic pipe. Everyone calls it Vic (for Victaulic) but GruvLok is another brand you might look at. Gruvlok is made by Anvil (formerly part of ITT/Grinnell).

Steam is the one process that Victaulic has not been able to conquer.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X