X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washer drain overflowing

The washing machine in my garage goes into a 2" abs line down to a p trap and then a T no hubbed into 2" galvanized drain with about 15 ft. horizontal run into the main drain line the top of the T reduces to a 1 1/2" galv. vent line which runs through the roof. The 2" drain line also services the kitchen sink and dishwasher which have another 1 1/2" vent. The washer drain has been overflowing lately. I have tried using a manual snake to clear the line as well as one of those gizmos you attach to a hose and it supposedly pulsates jets of water to clear the line. It seems to help for a week or two but then the problem begins again. I am not sure what more to do? Should I upsize the vent line to a 2"? Should I rent a power auger and run it through the line or should I seperate the 2 drains? Or?????? Please help

Re: washer drain overflowing

Why not call a plumber to help you out?

J.C.

Comment

Are you sure you want to snake it yourself?

People can get hurt if they are not careful.
      I've had friends that have rented snakes and gotten lucky without getting hurt.
      How are your tool skills?

Comment

dont want to call a plumber because I believe I can and should fix my own house and I love to learn new skills. My tool skills are good. I am a carpenter by trade but I dabble in all aspects of home remodeling. Unfortunately plumbing is my least developed skill. I only really lack the experience and wisdom.

Comment

You only lack the experience and wisdom? WTF else is there?

Ok. Lighten up.

Probably restricted at the galvanized. You can remove the no hub to confirm this.

Also, if it's a new washing machine then the pump may be putting out more volume than the original piping can handle. Seen it.

Remove the no hub. Clear the galvanized. Still have a problem, call a plumber.

Remember, the plumber might call you to fix his/her deck, door, windows, siding. Happens all the time.

Good luck. Post results.

J.C.

Comment

There is common sense. Mechanical aptitude. Familiarity with the trades. Basic knowledge and ability to consult wise and skillful individuals and listen well to the voices of experience. Isn't the internet great? Besides I am poor and plumbers make a whole helluva lot more than I do (albeit well deserved) and as a last resort I will certainly call a plumber but I am not quite there yet.

Comment

Once again Good Luck and come back to Post Results.

Stick around, the Plumbers will probably have a wood question sometime.

J.C.

Comment

I was kinda hoping I could get some technical advice. Anyone have any suggestions other than hiring a plumber? Is the 1 1/2" vent adequate? Is it likely that the problem is anything other than buildup in the galvanized? Would really appreciate some insight.

Comment

Shan you've joined the right forum.If you are looking to finally familliarize yourself with working with a drain cleaning device you've come to the right place

Among the plethura of knowladgeable plumbers here we have one that specializes in clearing lines that a certain plumbing contractor,lets just call him Steve,can't get.I honestly think this guy should leave the state.

Me???
                  I'm a better golfer than drain cleaner.I leave it to the pros.

As our beloved Mrs.Seatdown/Joey says "Please Hold".Our next available representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome to the forum
                  Adam
                  Last edited by drtyhands; 06-14-2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Your lucky day.

You said the magic word, Galvanizied pipe.

Here is an example of Galvanizied pipe we pulled out of a project last night.

Your going to need a snake with an auger to go through the kind of build up that happens in Galvinizied pipe. If you don't know what your doing and the snake grabs or locks up, it can get ugly pretty quick. I am all up for jumping into the deep end of the pool, only if you have 110% confidence your not going to drown. Just an FYI.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-14-2008, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
                      I was kinda hoping I could get some technical advice. Anyone have any suggestions other than hiring a plumber? Is the 1 1/2" vent adequate? Is it likely that the problem is anything other than buildup in the galvanized? Would really appreciate some insight.
                      I don't vent W/M with 1.5". Increasing DWV sizes does reduce positive & negative pressures in the waste system. But you state it works for a week or 2 then you have to work on it again. Based on that it seems to be an adequate vent but I'm not looking at it either.

Check the galvy at the no hub and report back.

J.C.

Comment

There is common sense. Mechanical aptitude. Familiarity with the trades. Basic knowledge and ability to consult wise and skillful individuals and listen well to the voices of experience. Isn't the internet great? Besides I am poor and plumbers make a whole helluva lot more than I do (albeit well deserved) and as a last resort I will certainly call a plumber but I am not quite there yet.
                        What you have to remember is that your time is worth something! if you hire a plumber in and say he charges you $100 and get the drain flowing like new and lets say that you would be working on it for a few hours every other week! is it not worth paying the $100 knowing that the job is going to be done right and you wont have to mess around with that drain over and over? I know if lets say my air conditioner takes a dump i would call a HVAC guy in as I have some Knowledge in that field but I do not specialize in it nor do I have the proper tools to get the job done.
                        ________
                        FORD MUSTANG SVO HISTORY
                        Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM.
                        Mike

Comment

Heres a few Possible solutions in my opinion that Might work

1) Try extending the washer train. With the Galvanizied (shrinks over time) the drain is most likly not what it use to be. Extending your drain higher 1 a foot or 2 might give your drain the time to catch up for the loss .

2) anohter solution would be to replace the Galvanizied line all together. Put in all ABS. as said about Galvanizied lines tend to shrink over time. aspecially if they are already old the chances are youll run into more and more trouble as time goes on. The Vent should be fine. but i suggest replacing the drain with 2" ABS.

Lets me know what you decide to do and goodluck!

Comment

Originally posted by matt- View Post
                            Heres a few Possible solutions in my opinion that Might work

1) Try extending the washer train. With the Galvanizied (shrinks over time) the drain is most likly not what it use to be. Extending your drain higher 1 a foot or 2 might give your drain the time to catch up for the loss .

2) anohter solution would be to replace the Galvanizied line all together. Put in all ABS. as said about Galvanizied lines tend to shrink over time. aspecially if they are already old the chances are youll run into more and more trouble as time goes on. The Vent should be fine. but i suggest replacing the drain with 2" ABS.

Lets me know what you decide to do and goodluck!
                            Our code(UPC) only allows the tailpiece to rise 30" above the wier of the trap.
                            I understand your theory if the line is restricted it would have backpressure to keep the trap seal possitive.

Comment

dont want to call a plumber because I believe I can and should fix my own house and I love to learn new skills. My tool skills are good. I am a carpenter by trade but I dabble in all aspects of home remodeling. Unfortunately plumbing is my least developed skill. I only really lack the experience and wisdom.
                              Perfect solution for you. Buy a k60 from north state for around 1400. Then watch the training video about using a k60 on the video demonstrations. I'll even help you out more-use the 5/8 cable and bend the end of a cable about 35 degrees-not 30, not 40, must be 35 degrees. Then use a 4 bladed cutter T-214. Your entry point will be either your vent or you washer standpipe.

Your vent's are most likely fine. You just need to snake your lines out. This isn't rocket science. If this was me, this is what I would do. Hire a plumber to do this and watch what he does. Next time this happens you'll properly know how to fix the problem and most importantly-safely fix the problem.

Remember-35 degrees-I cannot stress this enough.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X