Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaking shutoff

Originally posted by Newman View Post
    If the threads on the old and new angle stop don't match, you can always use a sleeve puller to remove the old sleeve without damaging the copper pipe.

this is true, but remember when the ring is too tight, you can stretch the copper, if that happens to much, you will have to solder on an MIP and use a IPS stop.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Jesus, just go to Home Depot, buy a quarter turn 1/2 inch compression angle stop. Cost you about $5.95. Unscrew the BrassCraft, piece of junk you have there now and screw on the new one. Don't tighten it too tight. Hand tight and then a quarter to a full turn more and your done.

People how hard can this be?

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
        If the threads on the old and new angle stop don't match, you can always use a sleeve puller to remove the old sleeve without damaging the copper pipe.
        I don't trust those sleeve pullers - I tried one a few years ago and the sleeve did not move - but the puller broke instead.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          customers have a hard time understanding the cost of alot of things now adays. they forget gas is like 4.65 a gallon now....and material, our water heaters are going up 15% july 1st.

a standard 40 gallon costs 392.00 right now.

anyways, paying a plumber to replace 2 stops and getting it done right, is still better then having a flood when your not home
          I installed a Takagi TK1 tankless about 4 years ago and quite happy with it so far. Before I installed the softener I would flush the heat exchanger annually but don't have to do that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
            Jesus, just go to Home Depot, buy a quarter turn 1/2 inch compression angle stop. Cost you about $5.95. Unscrew the BrassCraft, piece of junk you have there now and screw on the new one. Don't tighten it too tight. Hand tight and then a quarter to a full turn more and your done.

It's better to post a million posts about it....geeze, it is called a forum, gotta have something to talk about atleast most of what is on here is worth while, although some members post repetative useless crap. they know who they are....
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post

Actually I did visit HD this afternoon and did get a quarter stop shutoff but I got tied up installing the undermount sink and after the gym workout it was too hot anyway.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

My main question all along was if I could reuse the compression nut and sleeve because they are usually a one time use - at least that what I understood.

Comment

The ferrule is already set.You can replace the stop on the old ferrule and nut as long as the threads are compatable.

The puller was a cheap one.I've pulled hundreds with mine.Then I'm able to install the new.

Comment

I think the best thing for you to do in this situation is to change them REALLY fast without turning off the water. But seriously, turn the water off to the house first.
                  Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    The ferrule is already set.You can replace the stop on the old ferrule and nut as long as the threads are compatable.

The puller was a cheap one.I've pulled hundreds with mine.Then I'm able to install the new.
                    me too i've never had a nut and ferrule that didn't come off.

usually the nut is the same fine thread. the real old 1 pc. supplies had a coarse thread.

simple test. remove the old stop and try the new nut on the old stop. if it screws on easy, it's the same. remember the nut is a straight thread, like a nut and bolt. it's not a tapered thread like a pipe and fitting.

a little dope or oil will ease the tightening process. i prefer wax, but don't expect you to buy a wax ring for 2 angle stops.

nothing wrong with keeping the old nut and ferrule if it matches. if not, a puller is a simple fix.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      I think the best thing for you to do in this situation is to change them REALLY fast without turning off the water. But seriously, turn the water off to the house first.
                      OK I guess I'll do it without turning off the water - why bother - just another extra step.

Comment

I believe I bought the puller at Home Depot - cannot remember the brand offhand. But I agree - if it is strong enough it will do the job. I have a whole stack of much stronger pullers for automotive work including a 20 Ton press - but all of those are too big for this job.

Now that I know it is common to just keep the old ferrule and nut I will not attempt to take them out.

I assumed all compression nuts had the same thread pitch

Comment

You got the puller at HomeDepot - that's the problem. Go to a plumbing supply house and buy a professional's puller, not that made in China crap from HD. I've pulled lots of sleeves off during remodels and have had no problems.
                          Never assume anything - especially when it comes to old plumbing!

Comment

The stop which has the coarse thread is often stamped BOB on the handle and it is a 1/2" FIP so FIP adapters will work but not a good solution..

The Pasco 4661 is a cheapen down version of what they use to make but will still last a life time.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...ELAID=49699636

An alternative to a ferrule puller is a handle puller with a Pasco 4655 or a 4" PP stem (or similar) inserted into the tubing, broach first.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...ELAID=49699642

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Looking at your picture you should not have a problem reusing the old nut and ferrel. Seems like the ones that I find where I cant reuse them are In Ryan homes in my area and the shutoff valves have braided supplies built right into them

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                It's better to post a million posts about it....geeze, it is called a forum, gotta have something to talk about atleast most of what is on here is worth while, although some members post repetative useless crap. they know who they are....
                                I agree, but I think this one is about crapped out. I'm going back to Devine bashing for awhile. Can't let a good thread die
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X