Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaking shutoff

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
    99 percent of the time you can reuse the nut and sleeve, but it looks like you have enough room to push the nut back and gently grab the sleeve with a pair of adjustable pliers (Channel Lock). Make sure when you do put the new stop on to be sure and use some pipe dope on the mating surfaces (a little goes a long ways). In my area something like changing two shutoffs would be around $75 including material. However, I am not allowed to touch those so you would have to call someone licensed. A cr19 is a chrome 5/8" x 3/8" compression angle stop.
    I have a question, If you are not licensed to work on plumbing in your area even to change angle stops then what is your business comprised of? Do you just do drain cleaning? Just wondering as a lot of the other members on this forum are not licensed, but do repair work along with drain cleaning. In your State are you not allowed to do simple plumbing repairs like lets say change a ballcock or replace a flapper on a toilet or just change out a toilet, replace or repair a leaky trap, etc....I'm not trying to sound like an *ss I'm just wondering what your allowed to do as a unlicensed plumber in you State??
    ________
    TELSTAR
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM.
    Mike

Comment

I am still staying quite busy as I can do drain cleaning, faucet repair/replacement, valve repair/replacement, installation and replacement of water treatment and water filter systems, main water service and waste lines.
      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Has anybody seen the nut break? I did a job for a manager who replaced an angle stop but left the old nut on and it broke and flooded an apt. Since then i've always replaced everything....

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
          Has anybody seen the nut break? I did a job for a manager who replaced an angle stop but left the old nut on and it broke and flooded an apt. Since then i've always replaced everything....
          Out of the thousads I've seen 2 break out of the box,the back blows out(bad casting).You can feel it immediately,feels like when you strip a bolt.It tightens real easy all the sudden.

Good point though

Comment

Its good plumbing practice to always install new supply stops , replacing nuts and ferrules while doing so.Many of the suggestions in thread are viable if no problem is encountered.My practice is to pull existing nut and ferrule with proper tool for this purpose.This should be easy if original nut was not over tightened compressing ferrule into pipe.If over tightened,pulling can be difficult ( i have many broken pullers, pulled apart while being used ) this can leave pipe under sized and hard to make leak proof joint.If pipe is undamaged a new valve can be installed after cleaning with sand cloth ,however if pipe is malformed cut back sufficient pipe to allow ferrule to bite at new place (your picture indicates this is possible)After cutting and cleaning apply light oil to valve while assembled lubing threads and ferrule (pipe dope can be used in a bind but oil is preferable, don't have time to explain but 40 years have proved this to be true)Tighten valve to pipe with adequate torque as both over and under tightening can be problematic.Always use quarter turn valves for replacement and don't forget to turn off water first!Also always inspect pipe with fingers for dents at area where ferrule grabs , although unlikely i have had it happen , a sizing tool can be used to reform either dented or undersized pipe .In best case scenario the fore going can be ignored but when these problems occur these suggestions can save aggravation.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! Good info.

I prefer sweat stops. Tried them all.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                Welcome to the Forum! Good info.

I prefer sweat stops. Tried them all.

J.C.
                Sweat stops?...they still make those?

I'm curiuos as to why you prefer them

Comment

Just noticed for myself no callbacks with sweat stops. You've got it or you don't and it shows pretty quick. (I know someones gonna post a horror story where one leaked a week later.) Don't have to worry about bad castings, weak nuts, bad ferrule, weaping, retightening.

Just found it works best for me.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Sweat stops?...they still make those?

I'm curiuos as to why you prefer them
                    That all I'll use unless of course it is an i.p.s. stop.

A question for those who use compression stops What do you use when you have a pedestal installation?

I use brasscraft CS40B's (sleeved sweat stops) It makes it look nice to see all the chrome under the pedestal and toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                      A question for those who use compression stops What do you use when you have a pedestal installation?
                      I install my angle stops directly touching the escuctheon plate. There's no gap between the two. There's no copper showing.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        I install my angle stops directly touching the escuctheon plate. There's no gap between the two. There's no copper showing.
                        What if in the future the valve has to be replaced, how will the next guy replace the ferrule?

Comment

Reuse the ferrule. I use brasscraft angle stops the the comprssion nut is interchangeable between the brands.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Reuse the ferrule. I use brasscraft angle stops the the comprssion nut is interchangeable between the brands.
                            I wouldnt reuse the ferrule in my house.

Comment

That all I'll use unless of course it is an i.p.s. stop.

I use brasscraft CS40B's (sleeved sweat stops) It makes it look nice to see all the chrome under the pedestal and toilet.
                              i'm with ben, i cut the copper properly to allow for a flush fit to the estucion.

i can't picture soldering the tens of thousands of angle stops i've done in my new construction days. commercial were typically ips loose key stops and residential were compression stops.

remember i was good for roughly 400 stops a day, installed and tested. waiting for water to stop dripping and prepping to solder would be down to less than 100.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a compression stop. remember the outlet side is either a compression connection or a slip joint connection.

now if you want to have an angle stop competition at the next roundup, i'll be glad to put that trophy next to the 4 that arrived today

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

What if in the future the valve has to be replaced, how will the next guy replace the ferrule?

very simple, use a puller. there is always 1/8'' of play to get the puller behind the nut. and if need be, crush the estucion and replace that too.

the hard ones are on the 1 pc. toilets that are difficult to get to with the toilet installed.

i've had to remove my puller handle just to allow me to tighten the puller.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X