Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leaking shutoff

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    i'm with ben, i cut the copper properly to allow for a flush fit to the estucion.

i can't picture soldering the tens of thousands of angle stops i've done in my new construction days. commercial were typically ips loose key stops and residential were compression stops.

remember i was good for roughly 400 stops a day, installed and tested. waiting for water to stop dripping and prepping to solder would be down to less than 100.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a compression stop. remember the outlet side is either a compression connection or a slip joint connection.

now if you want to have an angle stop competition at the next roundup, i'll be glad to put that trophy next to the 4 that arrived today

rick.
    I never said I was against them. Most inspectors here will not allow them.
    I dont do commercial so your argument about doing 400 a day is meaningless to me. Speed is not really a concern for the 3 that I would install for a bathroom renovation.

Oh hey congrats on the trophey's but if you want to have a contest lets have one at the round up for nicest looking solder joints, to me thats a contest. Any takers?

Comment

i have seen out here the plumbers use a solder stop with a chrome tube on them

way back in the old days when i did it i used a solder stop and chromed the pipe so it looks good
      the only time i went close to the wall was on a pedestal sinks thats how we did it when i had to walk to the jobs in 3ft of snow
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I'm out of the contest on the best looking solder joints. Some of mine look like Stevie Wonder did them after about 5 espressos.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I'm out of the contest on the best looking solder joints. Some of mine look like Stevie Wonder did them after about 5 espressos.

J.C.

rick uses pro press
          Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

Puss Press.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Out of the thousads I've seen 2 break out of the box,the back blows out(bad casting).You can feel it immediately,feels like when you strip a bolt.It tightens real easy all the sudden.

Good point though

adam me too

i had issues with washing machine valves. there was a brand we used at 1 time that was a combination compression and mip. those were the bad ones and i had our shop change brands.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I'm soo clever ,It hurts. I have a great shop. Carpentry and welding. So nice to be able to weld steel,S.S. allum. I re-inforced one of My ferral pullers,to the Max. I call Her MAD MAX. Ist nasty old pull,was a disaster. 5000 ft lbs of Irish forarm,and it's movin. You guessed it .Extruded that copper down about 3/16 in diameter. Cut and solder
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

rick uses pro press
                  when ever possible now

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Puss Press.

J.C.
                  because i've invested the money in 5 machines and 2 sets of xl jaws, would make me the wise man.

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                  I never said I was against them. Most inspectors here will not allow them.
                  I dont do commercial so your argument about doing 400 a day is meaningless to me. Speed is not really a concern for the 3 that I would install for a bathroom renovation.

Oh hey congrats on the trophey's but if you want to have a contest lets have one at the round up for nicest looking solder joints, to me thats a contest. Any takers?
                  i'm there and lets make it more interesting

vertical joints, with no glove or rag. possibly 2'' or 6'' if your buying

i have plenty of 2'' , 2.5'' couplings, and a handfull of 3''-6''

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Just jealous I can't use one.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      when ever possible now

because i've invested the money in 5 machines and 2 sets of xl jaws, would make me the wise man.

i'm there and lets make it more interesting

vertical joints, with no glove or rag. possibly 2'' or 6'' if your buying

i have plenty of 2'' , 2.5'' couplings, and a handfull of 3''-6''

rick.
                      I have to buy??? You are the one that was doing commercial work making all that money by saving time doing 400 angle valves a day

No glove or rag, you're on.

Comment

i have done joints and wipes the drips with my fingers

and i have seen how pro press does save time ,the plumber is using one on a large job and it is nice
                        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

I accept that challenge.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have to buy??? You are the one that was doing commercial work making all that money by saving time doing 400 angle valves a day

No glove or rag, you're on.
                            that was when i was working for a company. they were making the money, i was making wages

i'll bring the fittings, the pipe would be hard to pack

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Upto 6 pages on this already

I got it done today - took less than a minute. The old nut came off easily, the threads matched and it was easy to work on since the sink has not yet been installed.

Comment

Engineers can plumb!?

Good Job!

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X