Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Straight pipe water heater or use flex hose

Originally posted by navysuit View Post
    No, it was a post on terrylove. I'm not twisting your words to bring credibility to my statements. I have much stronger resources that are much more credible than youself, such as manufacturers.
    Had to check myself and this is what I found http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20665
    I said I take them out and put in brass nipples. Hmmmmm.

If you also checked the terry love site about diy water heaters, you would also see the resistance met there as well. Never did answer my question about you being a CEC officer?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I don't think this forum was intended for professionals only. You make it sound like DIYers are not welcomed, which is not the case. DIYers are just as welcome as professionals.
      DIYers are welcome. I've asked lots of questions and gotten good answers. I've also argued a bit with a few of the pros, but you need a thick skin for any Internet venue. I've also gotten to know one of the plumbers on this forum in real life, and have had him fix things in my house; and every time he came over I learned some more from him. The reason you aren't getting your questions answered is because you are hostile and say various contradictory things.

For example, you say you'll probably hire a pro:
      I probably will end up calling one, but it doesn't hurt to know what the plumber is going to install. For example, I can tell him I want a Rheem, hard piped, with a pan.. I noticed it isn't that much to hire it out. I just don't want a guy hooking up a piece of junk with cpvc.
      Then you ask a question like:
      I decided to hard pipe it. Do you guys use tape and pipe dope (this is for the dielectric union)?
      If you are hiring a pro, why the heck are you asking about pipe dope?

I think you should be able to install an electric water heater, and get it inspected (I know some of the pros disagree with me here), but if someone who knows more than you is giving you advice listen to it and don't argue with it. If you don't like it, you can ignore it; just like you are advocating people who don't like DIYers ignore your question.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Had to check myself and this is what I found http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20665
        I said I take them out and put in brass nipples. Hmmmmm.

If you also checked the terry love site about diy water heaters, you would also see the resistance met there as well. Never did answer my question about you being a CEC officer?

I don't understand what the problem is. I said you knew that modern water heaters come with dielectric nipples. Based on the above thread, it would be fair to make that assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          here's the problem. DIY'ers come on the site for advice, which is fine. But often they don't like the advice they are given. Usually because they don't want to spend the money or the time to do the job right. So the quibble over every little thing. If you hire a professional to do the job, he will do the job to code because he has to. His licence and ultimatly his job are at stake. Very few DIY'ers will bother to get a permit and have the job inspected. Will you? Probably not but a profession will. Why? because if there is a problem with the installation, he needs to correct it and make sure everything is done to code so that if something goes wrong, you won;t be able to sue the crap out of him. That's why you need the pan. To cover your *** when you make the insurance claim. It's all about liability. That's why it costs what it does to hire a pro. Because it will get done right. Which gives you, the homeowner, piece of mind.

The so called dielectric nipples do not isolate water from two dissimilar metals. The manufacturese tout them as being dielectric, but I've seen many of them hopelessly corroded. A true dirlectric union totally isolates the dissimilar metals. And they are not that expensive, so why take the chance. As for your drain pan, if you can't get a proper drain location, put a pan alarm in it. About 25 bucks.

You should have said that in the first place. You will were saying they were NOT dielectric nipples and instead a dip tube. The manufacturer states they are acceptable. The plastic runs over the rim of the nipple and makes contact with the copper npt. This is how it isolates the water from the two dissimilar metals.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            DIYers are welcome. I've asked lots of questions and gotten good answers. I've also argued a bit with a few of the pros, but you need a thick skin for any Internet venue. I've also gotten to know one of the plumbers on this forum in real life, and have had him fix things in my house; and every time he came over I learned some more from him. The reason you aren't getting your questions answered is because you are hostile and say various contradictory things.

For example, you say you'll probably hire a pro:

Then you ask a question like:

If you are hiring a pro, why the heck are you asking about pipe dope?

I think you should be able to install an electric water heater, and get it inspected (I know some of the pros disagree with me here), but if someone who knows more than you is giving you advice listen to it and don't argue with it. If you don't like it, you can ignore it; just like you are advocating people who don't like DIYers ignore your question.
            I wasn't contradicting my statements. I never said I would hire a pro. I said I was probably going to hire a pro. I was still on the fence. I still don't know why plumbers think that installing a water heater is so difficult. Other than making the proper connections and setting it, there isn't a whole lot to it. I could have easily just pulled the old one out and used to braided hoses. The new heater lined up perfectly. I just wanted to do it right.

Comment

I don't understand what the problem is. I said you knew that modern water heaters come with dielectric nipples. Based on the above thread, it would be fair to make that assumption.
              Assumption equal SNAFU. Done with this thread.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

HOOOOLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY Crap Batman!!!!!

Jeeez I don't look at this forum for a day and this thread grew
                exponentially.

About the only thing were missing.

At this point I think we need a full set of stamped submittal plans

Man I hope he does'nt ask how to change a light bulb. Because frankly I don't think enought people have chimed in a responce!!
                Last edited by Watersurgeon; 06-18-2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Assumption equal SNAFU. Done with this thread.
                  I really do not know why or what you are arguing about. You said you remove dielectric nipples and replace them with brass nipples. I mentioned you know that modern water heaters come with dielectric nipples. I would say that you explicitly stated you are aware that they exist.

Comment

Couple of things navysuit.
                    It looks like your a HO that thinks he's smarter than he is. I've met lots of people that think the way that you do and I have to say I can't stand being around people like you. You ask then want to argue with the answer you get.

You come here and don't even have the common courtesy to answer simple questions about where you live and what kind of experience you have.

It really looks to me that your a lurcher that goes to forums to start crap like this. I've seen it on other sites and believe others here have also.

I take back what I said in the beginning and hope they ban your sorry butt.

shup

Comment

ENOUGH

SAID
                      DROP IT ! ! !
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

This thread is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          DECIDED TO CUT OUT THE LOCAL PLUMBER ALTOGETHER?

J.C.
                          DUH!

Comment

Is it better to hard pipe a water heater or use one of those copper flex hoses? Is there a minimum height the nipple has to be before connecting a flex hose? It already has a nipple with heat trap.
                            Yes it's better to hard pipe the heater.........next!

I see that there has been already 150 replies to this topic

Is it worth it for me to go back and read them all?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Yes it's better to hard pipe the heater.........next!

I see that there has been already 150 replies to this topic

Is it worth it for me to go back and read them all?
                              No, you would just get upset.
                              The Other Rick

Comment

You guys are relentless.
                                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                                X