Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straight pipe water heater or use flex hose

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
    pipe dope on the female threads and about 4 wraps of teflon tape on the male threads
    Not on anything smaller than 1-1/4".

Comment

I've seen some people just use tape and some use pipe dope. I was just going to use tape and dope on the male threads unless someone suggest I not do this. Does anyone know if a dielectric fitting right at the nipple is acceptable. I purchased a 12 year GE (Rheem) 50 gallon electric today.

Comment

Decided to cut the local plumber out altogether?

J.C.

Comment

One of the DIY sites said a dielectric is unnecessary. I guess that is why I always just see copper attached directly to the nipples. The nipples that come out of the unit are lined (blue plastic). I guess I can do it all in copper including the nipples.

Comment

DECIDED TO CUT OUT THE LOCAL PLUMBER ALTOGETHER?

J.C.

Comment

NO RESPONSE ON CUTTING OUT THE LOCAL PLUMBER OUT OF WORK???

J.C.

Comment

One of the DIY sites said a dielectric is unnecessary. I guess that is why I always just see copper attached directly to the nipples. The nipples that come out of the unit are lined (blue plastic). I guess I can do it all in copper including the nipples.

Comment

One of the DIY people decided to come to a Forum Section for simple questions and decided to ask HOW TO COMPLETELY DO THE JOB SO THEY COULD KEEP A LOCAL PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER OUT OF WORK!

J.C.

Comment

This forum is a little deceiving. I came to it because it says ask the plumbing experts. If this board is meant for professionals only, they should change the name. It should be a professional only forum or be called ask the plumbing expert only if you are an plumbing expert.

P.S.

JC I had to refer to a cook book in order to make myself dinner tonight. I guess I'm keeping my local chefs out of work as well. I also drove myself to the grocery store today. There goes another taxi driver out of work.

Comment

Originally posted by navysuit View Post

I had to refer to a cook book in order to make myself dinner tonight. I guess I'm keeping my local chefs out of work as well. I also drove myself to the grocery store today. There goes another taxi driver out of work.
                      Not really. Those are do-it-yourself items A water heater is slightly trickier.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

YOU CAN PRETTY UP HOWEVER YOU WANT. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. BE JUST NICE ENOUGH AND KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS. MAYBE CHEFS AND TAXI DRIVERS HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOU TOO.

WHAT DID THEIR FORUM SAY? NO, REALLY-WHAT DID IT SAY? NOTHING BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T CHECK THEREFORE MAKING A REDUNDANT ARGUMENT.

YOU WANT TO PUT IN YOUR WATER HEATER. GO AHEAD. MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT YOUR WARRANTY THAT YOUR NOT A LICENSED PLUMBER AND NOT LIE ABOUT IT. MAKE SURE YOU CONTACT YOUR HOME INSURANCE COMPANY AND TELL THEM YOU DID IT. AND MAKE SURE YOU CALL YOUR LOCAL INSPECTION DEPARTMENT. NOT GONNA DO THAT EITHER, RIGHT?

I SEE THE ASK THE EXPERTS SECTION FOR SIMPLE BASIC ADVICE. YOU GOT YOURS AT THE BEGINNING. CALL A LOCAL PLUMBER. BUT YOU DIDN'T WANT THE ADVICE YOU GOT BECAUSE YOU WANTED TO DO IT YOURSELF AND CUT THE LOCAL PLUMBER OUT EVEN AFTER SOMEONE ON HERE WAS WILLING TO GIVE YOU A GOOD, LOCAL RECOMMENDATION. SO YOU GO ON AND ON AND ON.

FINALLY, I HAVE NO IDEA OF YOUR SKILL AS I HAVE ASKED YOU ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOU REFUSE TO ANSWER ANYTHING. YOU COULD KILL YOURSELF OR SOMEBODY. DON'T BELIEVE IT? IT HAPPENS.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                          Pipe dope should only be applied to male threads.
                          I know Section 505.12.3 I was always taught this way by everyone i have ever worked under so it is a hard habit to break... I wasnt thinking, it has been one of those days..... this office job takes a lot out of ya..... more than i would have thought!

Comment

This forum is a little deceiving. I came to it because it says ask the plumbing experts. If this board is meant for professionals only, they should change the name. It should be a professional only forum or be called ask the plumbing expert only if you are an plumbing expert.

P.S.

JC I had to refer to a cook book in order to make myself dinner tonight. I guess I'm keeping my local chefs out of work as well. I also drove myself to the grocery store today. There goes another taxi driver out of work.
                            Do a little history on this section of the forum. We usually give pages of advice except for generally specific 2 items-drain cleaning and water heaters. It's not because these are the 2 money makers we want to ourselves but because we don't want anyone to get hurt. You wanted another site to ask questions and I gave you one. Why not let them answer your questions if your dissatisfied with your treatment here? One thing that has always bothered me is that when I ask an expert for advice and they give it to me, I listen. If I didn't want to follow their advice, I would've looked elsewhere. You (and others) ask for advice but because it defies your logic you can't just listen to what we're saying. We're not talking out the side of our neck here. We're giving good advice whether you want to believe that or not.

We had one of our own fellow plumber's ask us a medical question. Did we tell him BS? No, we told him to go see a doctor to receive proper treatment. You're no different. If we think our advice might cause more harm than good, we'll let you know.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Not really. Those are do-it-yourself items A water heater is slightly trickier.
                              How about changing the brakes on my car? Is that considered trickier? I would consider that more dangerous than a water heater.

Comment

How about changing the brakes on my car? Is that considered trickier? I would consider that more dangerous than a water heater.
                                You tell us. Post the link to the forum where you asked the automotive experts.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X