X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straight pipe water heater or use flex hose

If you like the Myth Buster episode, log on to watts.com and get hold of their video titles Danger Lurks. They we're blowing up water heaters back in the 50's.

What could go wrong?

Again the freekin nipples that come with the heater are not dielectric unions. not not not not.

You need a freekin expansion tank. It's the code.
    Even you homeowners have to follow the code.

If the heater is installed on a finished floor, you need a freekin drain pan. Again it's the code. And if it leaks and ruins your freekin floor your freekin insurance company is going to tell you to screw.

There are things you can do (just ask home depot, they can freekin help) and some things you really should not. Believe it or not this is one of those things. Quit being a skinflint and hire the job out to a pro before you screw somthing up and have to listen to your wife say " I freekin told you so"
    sigpic

Comment

No offense gear junkie but hey Navysuit..... you know what they call the Marines......... The mens division of the Navy!!

But seriously man you are asking for advice then spitting in our faces trying to tell us we dont know what we are talking about!! just go away i am done with this thread you are just being unreasonable and rude!

Comment

No more NH. Just trying to wear you down. How do you put this person on ignore in my settings. Just post it here please.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          If you like the Myth Buster episode, log on to watts.com and get hold of their video titles Danger Lurks. They we're blowing up water heaters back in the 50's.

What could go wrong?

Again the freekin nipples that come with the heater are not dielectric unions. not not not not.

You need a freekin expansion tank. It's the code.
          Even you homeowners have to follow the code.

If the heater is installed on a finished floor, you need a freekin drain pan. Again it's the code. And if it leaks and ruins your freekin floor your freekin insurance company is going to tell you to screw.

There are things you can do (just ask home depot, they can freekin help) and some things you really should not. Believe it or not this is one of those things. Quit being a skinflint and hire the job out to a pro before you screw somthing up and have to listen to your wife say " I freekin told you so"

It looks like Bradford White has dielectric nipples preinstalled as well. I'm going to say this again. Modern water heaters come with dielectric nipples. You can throw away those dielectric unions. They cause more problems anyways.

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/topmodels_build.asp

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            No offense gear junkie but hey Navysuit..... you know what they call the Marines......... The mens division of the Navy!!

But seriously man you are asking for advice then spitting in our faces trying to tell us we dont know what we are talking about!! just go away i am done with this thread you are just being unreasonable and rude!
            None taken, I have the deepest respect for a Marine.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              No more NH. Just trying to wear you down. How do you put this person on ignore in my settings. Just post it here please.

J.C.
              Come my friend. We shall ride into the sunset. Tall in our saddles and leave this one horse town to the coyotes and scorpions.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                None taken, I have the deepest respect for a Marine.

Comment

I read a post from gearjunkie on another thread. He actually knows that new water heaters come with dielectric nipples. The odd thing is that you guys bash these DIY forums, but they actually know their stuff. How many of you (besides gearjunkie) knew that new water heaters come with dielectric nipples?

Comment

Originally posted by navysuit View Post
                    I read a post from gearjunkie on another thread. He actually knows that new water heaters come with dielectric nipples. The odd thing is that you guys bash these DIY forums, but they actually know their stuff. How many of you (besides gearjunkie) knew that new water heaters come with dielectric nipples?
                    My guess is everyone on this site knows some heaters come with dielectric nipples. I have no problem with your questions and I believe some here have given you sound advice. However, your line of questioning reminds me of pulling teeth to the extent it is nagging. I believe if you had collected your thoughts first and asked your questions in a single post you may have been better received.

Good luck with your project and I hope everything works out for you.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-17-2008, 11:22 PM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

• Re: Straight pipe water heater or use flex hose

Wow, another LOOOOONG crappy thread in the 'ask the experts' section. I am boycotting this section for awhile, all the people looking for a free ride gets on my nerves. Just my personal feeling. Carry on, bye.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ght=dielectric

Is this the thread I believe you're referring to you? Please don't twist my words to bring credibility to yours. I honestly still don't fully understand the process of corrosion in this regard but I listened to the plumbers out there and now pipe my WH in with 6" brass nipples. I didn't try to figure them out and bring plausibilty to my theory. I went with the concept that people who have a lot more experience than me is telling me to do this a certain way so that's the way I'll do this without question. Try it sometime.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          My guess is everyone on this site knows some heaters come with dielectric nipples. I have no problem with your questions and I believe some here have given you sound advice. However, you line of questioning reminds me of pulling teeth to the extent it is nagging. I believe if you had collected your thoughts first and asked your questions in a single post you may have been better received.

Good luck with your project and I hope everything works out for you.

Mark
                          I apologize for the line of questioning. I should have just asked the most pertinent questions or phrased them better. The pan questions never got answered until the very end. I was looking for what a professional would do and not what is acceptable. I personally do not believe that questions about connections or if a pan is required should be construed as dangerous. If I was asking how to replace a service panel, I would expect this type of resistance. I think ridgid should change the name of this forum or add a DIY section. This way plumbers that come here to only talk to other plumbers will not visit that forum. I found this site through google, but I, and others, would be a lot better off finding sites like DIYCHATROOM and TERRYLOVE. These sites help people grasp the concepts of what needs to be done without the barrage of resistance from plumbers who feel their trade is too difficult for any mere layperson. It feels like pulling teeth trying to get answers from the experts here. What is the purpose of having an ask the expert forum?

Comment

The simple answer is that you asked the experts and in their expert opinion, they felt you should hire an expert.
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

To make me wonder why I look and reply to this section.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I apologize for the line of questioning. I should have just asked the most pertinent questions or phrased them better. The pan questions never got answered until the very end. I was looking for what a professional would do and not what is acceptable. I personally do not believe that questions about connections or if a pan is required should be construed as dangerous. If I was asking how to replace a service panel, I would expect this type of resistance. I think ridgid should change the name of this forum or add a DIY section. This way plumbers that come here to only talk to other plumbers will not visit that forum. I found this site through google, but I, and others, would be a lot better off finding sites like DIYCHATROOM and TERRYLOVE. These sites help people grasp the concepts of what needs to be done without the barrage of resistance from plumbers who feel their trade is too difficult for any mere layperson. It feels like pulling teeth trying to get answers from the experts here. What is the purpose of having an ask the expert forum?
                                Of course consider many of the "experts" here work in States where the State has decided tasks like changing a water heater out are too dangerous for a homeowner to do so as such a Licensed plumber must do the job. My take is this forum is titled "Ask the Experts" so that a DIY can ask questions. Those that do not care for the questions do not have to answer. Those who are comfortable with answering the questions should also add the warnings necessary for the project being done. I believe you have received a little bit of each.

Mark
                                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                                X