Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Straight pipe water heater or use flex hose

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ght=dielectric

Is this the thread I believe you're referring to you? Please don't twist my words to bring credibility to yours. I honestly still don't fully understand the process of corrosion in this regard but I listened to the plumbers out there and now pipe my WH in with 6" brass nipples. I didn't try to figure them out and bring plausibilty to my theory. I went with the concept that people who have a lot more experience than me is telling me to do this a certain way so that's the way I'll do this without question. Try it sometime.
    No, it was a post on terrylove. I'm not twisting your words to bring credibility to my statements. I have much stronger resources that are much more credible than youself, such as manufacturers.
    Last edited by navysuit; 06-17-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      Of course consider many of the "experts" here work in States where the State has decided tasks like changing a water heater out are too dangerous for a homeowner to do so as such a Licensed plumber must do the job. My take is this forum is titled "Ask the Experts" so that a DIY can ask questions. Those that do not care for the questions do not have to answer. Those who are comfortable with answering the questions should also add the warnings necessary for the project being done. I believe you have received a little bit of each.

Mark
      They should add (DIY) after the ask the plumbing expert. I don't think people like service guy like to answer diy questions. I think I'm going to email the administrator regarding this. I think they would gain a lot more subscribers, click throughs, and ridgid sales if professionals didn't drive away the diyers. A DIYer will have to buy tools to install their water heater. These tools could be ridgid tools if professionals didn't try to talk every DIY out of a simple job by showing them videos of water heaters exploding. These scare tactics do nothing to promote this site. I had to go to the other sites to obtain the information I needed. How many ridgid subscribers/diy do you thing follow the same path? By looking at past threads, I would say the vast majority.
      Last edited by navysuit; 06-17-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by navysuit View Post
        They should add (DIY) after the ask the plumbing expert. I don't think people like service guy like to answer diy questions. I think I'm going to email the administrator regarding this. I think they would gain a lot more subscribers, click throughs, and ridgid sales if professionals didn't drive away the professionals. A DIYer will have to buy tools to install their water heater. These tools could be ridgid tools if professionals didn't try to talk every DIY out of a simple job by showing them videos of water heaters exploding. These scare tactics do nothing to promote this site.
        No need to email him as he is an active poster on the site and does not miss much. Initially the top forum was the Professional section and all of the DIY would ask their question there. Things have gotten better since they moved the DIY forum to the top but there still are those who feel plumbing is better left to the professionals. I personally would rather stay out of a thread if I feel the OP is going to get themselves in trouble.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Of course consider many of the "experts" here work in States where the State has decided tasks like changing a water heater out are too dangerous for a homeowner to do so as such a Licensed plumber must do the job.

Mark
          Exactly, in my state IT IS ILLEGAL to install a water heater without a license. I know its not that way in some other states, and thats fine.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            Exactly, in my state IT IS ILLEGAL to install a water heater without a license. I know its not that way in some other states, and thats fine.
            HAHA! I knew you couldn't stay away!
            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              HAHA! I knew you couldn't stay away!
              Its like watching a train-wreck, I can't look away.

Comment

A DIYer will have to buy tools to install their water heater. These tools could be ridgid tools if professionals didn't try to talk every DIY out of a simple job by showing them videos of water heaters exploding.
                Oh give me a break...now you are playing the "we are hurting tools sales" card? If you don't buy a Ridgid tool based on the fact that you don't like me or anyone else, thats infantile. I spent about $4000 on Ridgid tools this year, how about you?

Comment

No need to email him as he is an active poster on the site and does not miss much. Initially the top forum was the Professional section and all of the DIY would ask their question there. Things have gotten better since they moved the DIY forum to the top but there still are those who feel plumbing is better left to the professionals. I personally would rather stay out of a thread if I feel the OP is going to get themselves in trouble.

Mark

I didn't even notice that. THIS IS A DIY FORUM. Why the resistance? If guys like service guy and others don't like chatting with DIYers or think it is too dangerous, just bite your tongue and stay out. You are ruining this forum. No other forum gives this much flak for asking diy questions. Ridgid is losing potential profits because of this. They should be made aware of it. I just bought some tubing cutters today. I might return them and buy lowes brand tomorrow.

Comment

I didn't even notice that. THIS IS A DIY FORUM. Why the resistance? If guys like service guy and others don't like chatting with DIYers or think it is too dangerous, just bite your tongue and stay out. You are ruining this forum. No other forum gives this much flak for asking diy questions. Ridgid is losing potential profits because of this. They should be made aware of it. I just bought some tubing cutters today. I might return them and buy lowes brand tomorrow.
                    Keep it up this is great stuff!

Comment

Oh give me a break...now you are playing the "we are hurting tools sales" card? If you don't buy a Ridgid tool based on the fact that you don't like me or anyone else, thats infantile. I spent about $4000 on Ridgid tools this year, how about you?
                      Your $4000 dollars is minuscule in comparison to click throughs and the amount of ridgid tools sold at Home Depot. Think about it. How many plumbers are there and how many DIYers are there? A plumber will use his tools on 100's of jobs and diyer will use it on a few. I'm quite sure ridgid doesn't mind the occasional purchase from diyers. If they did, they would not sell at big box stores. This is a diy forum. If you don't want to answer DIY questions, do not click on ask the expert.

Comment

Only a few people at this forum actually work for Ridgid, I (and the other plumbers) don't work for them and we are not officially associated with the company, so why would you return a Ridgid tool based on a personal disagreement? It makes no sense.

Comment

Actually no it is not a DIY forum. It is a forum for other trades persons or apprentices to ask those who have been doing this for a while. That does not mean a DIY can't ask questions as well.

I do agree however there is no reason to respond when you don't support the question. There have been a surprising number of DIY who have done everything through advise on the forum including new construction. On occasion certain people come off as non appreciative and as such are treated poorly. I believe the response you have received has more to with what I posted earlier.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I spent about $4000 on Ridgid tools this year, how about you?
                            PLEASE don't ask Rick. Rick PLEASE don't answer. It may make me

Ignorance is bliss
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

RIDGE TOOL COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE MATERIALS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RELIABILITY OF ANY ADVICE, STATEMENT OR OTHER INFORMATION DISPLAYED OR DISTRIBUTED THROUGH THE SITE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE BY THE USE OF THE SITE THAT ANY RELIANCE ON ANY SUCH MATERIALS, ADVICE, STATEMENT OR INFORMATION SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK

Ridge Tool Company is a subsidiary of Emerson Electric Co. (“Emerson”), and the following website terms and conditions apply:

http://www.gotoemerson.com/disclaimer.html

Comment

Actually no it is not a DIY forum. It is a forum for other trades persons or apprentices to ask those who have been doing this for a while. That does not mean a DIY can't ask questions as well.

I do agree however there is no reason to respond when you don't support the question. There have been a surprising number of DIY who have done everything through advise on the forum including new construction. On occasion certain people come off as non appreciative and as such are treated poorly. I believe the response you have received has more to with what I posted earlier.

Mark
                                I have to disagree. It makes no mention of professional only. I carpenter isn't going to be much better off installing a water heater than a DIYer. The ask the plumbing expert is a place where a (any) person can ask an expert. The professional forum is for apprentices and experts. Ridgid does not advertise this forum to professionals only.

Comment

Working...
                                X