Problem with blk iron unions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem with blk iron unions

I have tried 2 different types of unions, the allignment is perfect, I don't know what name brand they are. I thought the nut was warping so I used a 300lb union, thinking that maybe it would hold up a bit better.
    I'm 6' 4", 220 lbs and a firefighter to boot, I think by the sounds of things that maybe I should be using 2' wrenches. I'm gonna google this "MONKEY SNOOT " and see where I get.
    If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

i believe the dope is "keytite" it's dark green and is a mess if you spill it.

a 300# union can take a lot of tightening.

when you remove the halves, is there a nice bite onto the brass seat?

try the keytite or equivalent and put some weight into it

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i believe the dope is "keytite" it's dark green and is a mess if you spill it.

a 300# union can take a lot of tightening.

when you remove the halves, is there a nice bite onto the brass seat?

try the keytite or equivalent and put some weight into it

rick.
        Agree with Rick. Also, Never-Seeze is thread lubricant, not a sealant, it will not stop a leaky joint. Like the name says it keeps threaded connections from seizing, usually used on flange bolts and the like. But just like keytite or the "monkey snot" you refer to, don't get it on you or your clothes...its a bugger to get off. And if you get some on a shirt or jeans, better get ti off before you toss them in the washing machine. I had a gob of Never-Seeze on my jeans years ago and put them in the wash with other work clothes. Wife came along to do a load later and had Never-Seeze all over her blouses. Man was I in trouble.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I agree with BobD's statement. I'll add this; Never Seize should be re named to "Seize". Try this instead, Mix wheel bearing grease (I prefer Wolfs Head red) with graphite powder to a black paste. You can add some motor oil if you want too. This will outperform Never Seize in every respect. This formula was handed down to me by my mentor and was used in the railroad industry on steam fittings that would need to be disassembled for routine maintenance. I guess if a client specs Never Seize you have no choice, but otherwise you will do yourself a favor down the road with what we call "schmutz".
          Only to be used where oil based products will not contaminate or react with the product in the plumbing, goes without saying but I will say it anyway.
          Steve.
          Last edited by Stevan Sweeney; 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I tried some of your tips and I got it to hold using a new 300# union and 18" wrenches. I had to use food grade never cease because I'm in a food processing plant. Thanx alot guys. God bless you all.
            If you don't know, ASK!

Comment

Glad to have help, oh wait a minute, I didn't help. Oh well, on behalf of the people who actually help out, you're welcome. Seriously, I am glad you got some advice that worked for you. I have used oil on the mating faces, and in a pinch, I have used pipe dope.

Comment

im glad you got your problem fixed and now you know what to do next time
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                X