X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Heater pilot cover (door)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww, Now that sounds like fun!!
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

See, how can we ever help anyone. A guy simply asks about a water heater cover plate and the conversation turns obscene. Back to your heater door, I would recommend just making an internal plate, leaving about 1" gap around the gas lines to allow air to enter. Make your exterior plate bow out in the middle around the gas lines so that it has slight curvature throughout. This should allow plenty of air, as most heaters have holes in the bottom that they draw combustion air in from also.

Comment

Please don't take this guys (Devine Plumbing) advice. HE IS NOT A LICENSED PERSON AND YOU SHOULD GIVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FROM HIM LESS WEIGHT THAN A LICENSED COMPANY. FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES SAFETY.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Please don't take this guys (Devine Plumbing) advice. HE IS NOT A LICENSED PERSON AND YOU SHOULD GIVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FROM HIM LESS WEIGHT THAN A LICENSED COMPANY. FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES SAFETY.

J.C.
          I couldn't agree more. Do NOT just fabricate your own door. Don't replace your W/H just because it's 5 years old. 8 and needs a new gas valve but not for a door that the factory will send you anyway.

Devine shouldn't be using this section. Stick to the Plumbers forum so we can
          ra you some more.
          Last edited by boillerman; 06-20-2008, 07:34 PM.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Yep, I agree boilerman, this isn't "ask the hack" section.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Have we become so *****-footed that we can't use a little American inginuity? Let's see if I have a heater that is has the potential to be dangerous everytime it turns on am I going to wait a week or more to get a door from the manufacturer? Hell no, you better believe I would make my own door. Water heaters are not rocket science as many of you would like to believe. I moved my own WH from my first floor utility room into my basement, where there was no easy way to vent it through a B-Vent. Solution: turn the tank into a direct vent. A used A.O. Smith Intellivalve and blower assembly and presto, back in hot water. Disassembled the front of the gas valve and relocated the push-button controls into the wall in the utility room, giving me complete control over the temperature without going into the basement. Would I ever do it for a customer, nope. Because any little problem, even if it was in no way connected to my work, and some pencil-pushing desk jockey would have my @$$ over a barrel.

Comment

DEVINE PLUMBING IS A SELF ADMITTED UNLICENSED PERSON AND OR COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING. IN OTHER WORDS, HE'S UNQUALIFIED TO HAVE THE BEST OPINION ON PLUMBING MATTERS AND ANY OPINIONS SHOULD BE OF LESS IMPORTANCE THAN THOSE THAT ARE QUALIFIED.

LISTEN TOO AND HIRE LICENSED PLUMBING CONTRACTORS FOR THE RIGHT RESULTS.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                  Have we become so *****-footed that we can't use a little American inginuity? Let's see if I have a heater that is has the potential to be dangerous everytime it turns on am I going to wait a week or more to get a door from the manufacturer? Hell no, you better believe I would make my own door. Water heaters are not rocket science as many of you would like to believe. I moved my own WH from my first floor utility room into my basement, where there was no easy way to vent it through a B-Vent. Solution: turn the tank into a direct vent. A used A.O. Smith Intellivalve and blower assembly and presto, back in hot water. Disassembled the front of the gas valve and relocated the push-button controls into the wall in the utility room, giving me complete control over the temperature without going into the basement. Would I ever do it for a customer, nope. Because any little problem, even if it was in no way connected to my work, and some pencil-pushing desk jockey would have my @$$ over a barrel.
                  At first blush your suggestion sounds fine for a generic water heater but the OP has still not posted what water heater he has. What if the heater he has is an American Polaris how would your recommended repair work for the OP? I don't believe anyone is saying they would not fabricate a temporary door for the heater but they are saying it would not be wise for the OP to do it based on his perceived ability after reading his posts.

As for you taking a standard vented water heater and converting it into a DV heater I almost don't know what to say. It seems as a "professional" your families safety should be paramount. How much work or money could it have been to the job correctly?

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, This Guy Is Going To Get Somebody Killed.

J.c.

Comment

Mark, This Guy Is Going To Get Somebody Killed.

J.c.
                      HOW?????????

Comment

DEVINE PLUMBING IS A SELF ADMITTED UNLICENSED PERSON AND OR COMPANY IN THE BUSINESS OF PLUMBING CONTRACTING. IN OTHER WORDS, HE'S UNQUALIFIED TO HAVE THE BEST OPINION ON PLUMBING MATTERS AND ANY OPINIONS SHOULD BE OF LESS IMPORTANCE THAN THOSE THAT ARE QUALIFIED.

LISTEN TOO AND HIRE LICENSED PLUMBING CONTRACTORS FOR THE RIGHT RESULTS.

J.C.

Sadly having skipped over both the Journeyman and Masters requirements of his State I don't know that he could be called an unlicensed plumbing company. Assuming his State has a "Handyman Exemption" he is more of an illegal handyman doing plumbing work. I have always felt saying "Unlicensed Contractor" is the same as saying "Undocumented Aliens". They may sound more PC but they are less descriptive.

Mark

Comment

I have not had a very good reception on this forum. Maybe I am not conveying myself very well. It is probably best I just stick to my "handyman" work. Maybe it is time I bid you all farewell. I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors.
                          Last edited by Devine Plumbing; 06-21-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Good luck to you and yours. Please go get properly licensed and be safe.

J.C.

Comment

I'm not sure I would say the reception was not good but I do think you lost a bunch of credibility over the way you have handled the lack of credentials. Those who have paid their dues are often put off by those who take the easy way out.

I have posted in the pass I felt you were knowledgeable as a plumber. However, if I knew a guy who did well in Law School but never passed the Bar I would not let him represent me.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                                I'm not sure I would say the reception was not good but I do think you lost a bunch of credibility over the way you have handled the lack of credentials. Those who have paid their dues are often put off by those who take the easy way out.

I have posted in the pass I felt you were knowledgeable as a plumber. However, if I knew a guy who did well in Law School but never passed the Bar I would not let him represent me.

Mark
                                Agreed! I wouldn't hire myself. What are my crazy customers thinking?

Comment

Working...
                                X