X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater pilot cover (door)

I have a water heater that is missing the metal cover (door) that you usually remove to relight the pilot light.

1. Can I fabricate one out of a large tin can?

2. Can I just duct tape (aluminum tape) it water heater to cover the opening?

3. Do I need to allow an opening for air? Does the pilot and/or burner get oxygen from that opening or elsewhere?

4. Should I not even worry about it and leave it open? (The water heater is functioning ok without the cover.)

Thanks.

Jim

Re: Water Heater pilot cover (door)

In my professional opinion you should contact the manufacturer and they may send you a new one at little or no cost. It is a bit of a safety thing so i do recommend you replace it. Do not just tape over the opening as air flow is needed a number of reasons. This is not something that you need to hire a plumber for. Any further questions let us know!

Comment

Originally posted by JimA View Post
      I have a water heater that is missing the metal cover (door) that you usually remove to relight the pilot light.

1. Can I fabricate one out of a large tin can?

2. Can I just duct tape (aluminum tape) it water heater to cover the opening?

3. Do I need to allow an opening for air? Does the pilot and/or burner get oxygen from that opening or elsewhere?

4. Should I not even worry about it and leave it open? (The water heater is functioning ok without the cover.)

Thanks.

Jim
      Keep in mind most water heaters include an inner door and an outer door. Are you missing one door or two doors?

As simple as it sounds you may want to give the manufacturer a call. They may have a supply of replacement parts. Every water heater is a little different and to use generic information is probably not in your best interest. For the most part the door is there to light/service your pilot only. However, without it you might have a problem if you ever experience a flame roll out.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

You are right. There were two doors. I guess the doors are there to prevent the flames from igniting anything near the "door". A followup question: is the oxygen supply for the pilot through the door opening??? (In which case I better leave some air holes if I fabricate a door.) Also, does the burner itself get its oxygen supply from the air at the door or are there other openings for air supply to the burner?

Thanks.

Comment

You are right. There were two doors. I guess the doors are there to prevent the flames from igniting anything near the "door". A followup question: is the oxygen supply for the pilot through the door opening??? (In which case I better leave some air holes if I fabricate a door.) Also, does the burner itself get its oxygen supply from the air at the door or are there other openings for air supply to the burner?

Thanks.
          That would depend on which brand heater you have and which model number it is. If you could possibly post a picture of the missing doors we could give you an answer without guessing.

Mark

Comment

Thanks.
            Please don't fabricate a door. If you don't get one from a manufacturer, at least go to someone that sells whatever brand you have and see if they might have a W/H that was replaced by warranty or whatever that they could take one from that matches it. Nowdays some of these are designed to be sealed and some aren't. You don't know, so don't guess.

Write down the Model # and Serial # and call the 800 number if there is one on the tank. You'll likely find them helpful.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

^

J.c.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing
                Just put a new heater in. Problem solved. Plus the heater you have must be old if it is not a sealed unit. That makes it at least 5+ years old. Time for a new one.
                But """""DO NOT BUY IT AT LOWS OR HOME DEPOT"""""!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing
                  Just put a new heater in. Problem solved. Plus the heater you have must be old if it is not a sealed unit. That makes it at least 5+ years old. Time for a new one.
                  This is such a stupid statement I don't know what to say.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                    I hear the statement a lot though, I use to tell home owners I've seen heater last 5 years and I've seen them last 20-years. I always figured a 5-year old heater may last 15-more years while a new heater may last 5-years. Then I let them decide if the risk is worth it or not.

Mark

BTW: Of course the truth of the matter is I saw an old copper coil water heater in a basement of a large estate in Pasadena which was built in the early 1900s and was still heating. I tried to talk the owner into parting with it so it could be put on display but he wasn't interested.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                      Don't be upset because you didn't think of it. Anything over 10 years and it is time to go. This is one of those times when an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                      Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

"Thou Shalt Not Lie"

J.C.

Comment

I always tell my customers that the average life of a water heater is around 10 years. Then I let them decide if they want a replacement or not based on the age of their heater. My line is, "It could last 10 more years, or it could go tomorrow!"
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            I always tell my customers that the average life of a water heater is around 10 years. Then I let them decide if they want a replacement or not based on the age of their heater. My line is, "It could last 10 more years, or it could go tomorrow!"
                            I like to grab them right by their necktie and tell them, "Listen you buy this heater, or I break your ******* legs." That tactic seems to work well.
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                              I like to grab them right by their necktie and tell them, "Listen you buy this heater, or I break your ******* legs." That tactic seems to work well.
                              You shouldn't be installing water heaters period.
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Working...
                              X