X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball valve question

ball valve is very easy to shut off the flow. my question is can I use it to control the flow not just fully open and completely closed? if yes, does that will affect its life span? thanks
    Attached Files

Re: ball valve question

a ball valve is considered a throttling valve. it can be used for volume control.

depending on the volume, psi and aggressiveness of the water, time will tell how well it holds up.

a safe thing to do with any valve is to cycle the valve so "arthritis" doesn't set in. this is very true on ball valves too.

gate valves can not. they will wear away the the wedge/ gate, and water ways.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

In terms of hydronic heating, I would say ball valves should not be considered throttling valves. Not only does the condition of the water quickly deteriorate the ball and seat area of the valve(especially in non filtered systems, or systems which are treated with a variety of chemicals) but when water passes through a throttled BV, it becomes very turbulent. Turbulence causes air in the piping, and as we all know air is the enemy in a heating system. I also find that they are very loud when throttled.

In my opinion full port ball valves should be used for allowing the full volume of water to pass through the valve, including domestic systems. I've always been taught that way so I guess its what is ingrained in my head.
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I am not going to use it on the heating system. It will be used in the normal cold and hot water pipes for bathroom.

Comment

I too have always been taught that a ball valve is not for throttling. Only a globe or butterfly valve. When I did waterwell we controlled our flow to a pump with a 2" ball valve but had to rebuild them every 2 weeks. The ball would be so worn down it was unrecognizable.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why would you want to reduce the flow to a bathroom using a ballvalve anyway? They make flow-restricted aerators and showerheads for that.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              a ball valve is considered a throttling valve. it can be used for volume control.

depending on the volume, psi and aggressiveness of the water, time will tell how well it holds up.

a safe thing to do with any valve is to cycle the valve so "arthritis" doesn't set in. this is very true on ball valves too.

gate valves can not. they will wear away the the wedge/ gate, and water ways.

rick.
              what he said

Comment

I have no problem using them to throttle, even and especially in a heating system since they don't get the constant makeup water. But not if I will definately need them for a full shut off someday. If you have to meter it or get real specific, you need a circuit setter. People use shutoff valves on toilets to throttle them all the time, and yes they wear out but so what? You throw in a new stem and all is good again.

If you're really having problems with the water pressure at your faucet though, you should look at a pressure reducing valve on your house. Too high of pressure wears everything out quickly anyway. Do you know your water pressure?
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                X