X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawing water from a creek

I would like to draw water from my creek for the purpose of watering lawn,garden,fruit trees, etc. The creek is at the lowest level of the property. The bank is about 6' high. I can set a pump in the creek or on the bank,whichever is better. The ground level at the creek stays level for about 30 yards then slopes upwards for 20 yards in distance and about 15' in elevation. From that point it slowly rises upwards for about 40 yards distance and about 15' to 20' in elevation. From that point the ground is fairly level for a distance of about 25 yards to our fruit trees. I can provide 120v or 240v power to the creek from my house. What I would like to find out is what size of pump and water line will I need to provide good water pressure in various locations all along the way from the creek to the fruit trees farthest away from the creek. I realize that I will only be able to use one location at a time. I have looked at utility pumps that would set in the creek with a 2" discharge line that I thought I could reduce down and I have seen pumps that would sit on the bank with a 2" suction line and 2" discharge line I just haven't seen one yet that tells me it will push water up 30 to 40 feet a distance of 350 or so feet. Maybe this can't be done with one pump I may need a reservoir to pump into and out of along the way. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by t. graff; 06-22-2008, 09:47 PM. Reason: Giving more information

Re: Drawing water from a creek

Not going to happen with a jet pump. You can only pull up about 26' maximum and thats under perfect conditions with a new pump. You will either need to put the pump down by the creek, or run a pump with it's venturi jet near the creek and two pipe it.
    sigpic

Comment

You need to provide some additional info.

1. how are you getting the water out of the creek.

Line in the creek, pump on shore?

Pump in the creek?

Resevoir next to creek, pump in resevoir?

Resevoir next to creek, pump next to resevoir?

What kind of voltage do you have available. Phase, Amps, etc....

What are the enviromental conditions the pump will be exposed to.

You indicated 40 feet of head, (elevation from the creek to the garden) is that 40' total. In other words do you have an elevation rise 0' being at the creek and 40' being 350 away at the garden, or is the elevation of 40' a short distance and then a long horizontal run to the garden or is the long run to a section with a 40' rise to the garden.

Pump dynamics is an engineering science. There are a lot of calculations that need to be made to get to a pump that will meet your needs. Most people don't realize this.

All help you but your going to need to provide alot more information

Comment

some additional help. try terry love plumbing forum. they have a separate well forum.

You will be talking to drillers. good luck
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
          You need to provide some additional info.

1. how are you getting the water out of the creek.

Line in the creek, pump on shore?

Pump in the creek?

Resevoir next to creek, pump in resevoir?

Resevoir next to creek, pump next to resevoir?

What kind of voltage do you have available. Phase, Amps, etc....

What are the enviromental conditions the pump will be exposed to.

You indicated 40 feet of head, (elevation from the creek to the garden) is that 40' total. In other words do you have an elevation rise 0' being at the creek and 40' being 350 away at the garden, or is the elevation of 40' a short distance and then a long horizontal run to the garden or is the long run to a section with a 40' rise to the garden.

Pump dynamics is an engineering science. There are a lot of calculations that need to be made to get to a pump that will meet your needs. Most people don't realize this.

All help you but your going to need to provide alot more information
          This is EXACTLY right in my opinon. There are literally thousands of pumps for all sorts of applications. If you don't have all of the right information noone can give you the right pump suggestions.

Come back with a little more info and I think you'll get the right answer.

J.C.

Comment

first of all how may gallons of water a min are you wanting and and at what pressure of delivery are you wanting,
            TO run a sprinkler,
            To just trickle out of the hose or pipe,

as stated there are many type and designs of pumps, the horizontal distance is not the big concern (it has a bearing do to pipe friction), but the elevation is the bigger, and if you want pressure. (Each foot of elevation change is equal to 0.433 PSI or which is approximately 2.33 feet for a pound of water pressure).

then there is some design issues if your always going to have open flow on the discharge pipe or if one will valve it, that will bring up if you need pressure tank and switch, and if you will always have the discharge flow constant,

also how clean the water is and the type of pump to use,

you may also need to look in to the legalities of pumping the creek, some places you are not to access that surface water, (depends on the water laws).

depending on the situation you may want to go with a big trash pump, or a pump similar to a submersible well type turbine pump, or a jet pump, a small impeller pump, maybe some thing like a sump pump, (I doubt it but even a piston pump is a possibility, one in Montana on the old radar station I worked at, pumped water 650 feet up the mountain,),

I have a huge cast Iron pump setting here that was ran by a 60 hp tractor that was used for irrigation and has a 6 inch discharge, that once was used for pumping out of a small lake, and I have seen pedestal sump pump a small flow out of ponds, and I have seen grain augers used to fill water trucks out of irrigation ditches, so pumps can vary and the out puts and the pressures so you need to figure out what you want to do gallons and pressure wise and then the elevation added to the pressure, and start to narrow it down some.

My 2" (inch) transfer pump will pump many gallons a min, but lacks water pressure, ran by a 3 hp gas motor, it only develops about 15 to 30 pounds of pressure, and will only draw about 5 feet of elevation and it has to be primed fully to do that,
            but normally it is used for transferring water from one tank to a sprayer tank. so the head is not that important.
            Last edited by BHD; 06-23-2008, 12:28 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I seriously doubt you have the rights to do this, mechanically pumping water out of a creek. More than likely its against the law, sort of like someone placing a dam up hill and not letting the lower neighbors get any water. You may think its alright, but I'm sure its not. You better check this out, before you go placing a pump into a creek then get slapped with a hefty fine, because you don't wanna use your well water.

Why don't you collect the water from your roof and put into barrels or something to that idea. Some areas they have underground containers for this purpose. As soon as rain water is in our rivers/creaks, you need to get special permits and have a good reason to take water out and place back in. Things just are not as simple as they were 50 yrs ago......

Sorry BHD, I missed this part on your about the legality issue, I didn't mean to copy cat you....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

We resolved the legal issue of pumping from a creek by digging right next to the creek and putting in a perforated catch basin. The same thing could probably be accomplished using cement blocks on edge. Then we surrounded the basin with small rip rap and crushed stone and installed the pump. Water migrated from the creek into the pump hole with no problem. We made two of these installations one for a 125 hp pump and the other for a 75 hp pump. This was in the early 70s and as far as I know they are still working today.

New York State will nail you big time for using the King's water. The creek we pumped from was a trout stream and dried to a trickle at times. When the water was low we would go to the small pools, catch trout in a net or by hand and take them to an area downstream that never dried up. Brother-in-law was caught - $500.00 fine. We thought we were helping the fish population. Go figure.

Comment

Your brother's a good Man
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Have you answered any of the q's posed by the replies? I am new here and I dont see any. I like the of to the side sump and pump design. The various replies are mostly good and all $ considerations arent addressed yet! I might add NONE asked you the first question needed to be answered! what is the budget ? so there!
                    Greg

Comment

If the budget is under $5 then a 5 gallon bucket is the pump to use,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                      X