X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions Regarding Plumbing

I came in here accidentally by surfing online. I have a few questions for professionals like you. If you could answer the questions, I would be much much appreciated.

I am wondering who would use stainless steel fittings and valves? I have heard only Restaurants and Hospitals would, but I am wondering would there be other places would need the stainless steel fittings and valves.

Also, I believe stainless steel fittings and valves are getting cheaper, but I don't see many stores carry them. For professional plumbers, is stainless steel fittings and valves a bad choice for your use?

If there is anyone can answer my question, I am grateful. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Questions Regarding Plumbing

Bar none, 316 stainless is the best metal for water there is, 304 is a close 2nd.

As for cost, I dunno where you been shopping, but the cost has been skyrocketing over the past few years...it's probably the main reason SS isn't that popular..and the fact that it's hard to cut & fabricate.

Comment

Thank you DuckButter. Did these price of stainless steel fixtures grow so fast? I thought the price is pretty stable compare to other things in these years. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Although stainless steel hardwares are hard to cut and fabricated, wouldn't professional plumbers prefer to use these due to longer life and better quality?

Please allow me to add one more question, does anyone know who would use plenty of the stainless steel fittings and valves? Construction Company? or Super retailers?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonl View Post
        Thank you DuckButter. Did these price of stainless steel fixtures grow so fast? I thought the price is pretty stable compare to other things in these years. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Although stainless steel hardwares are hard to cut and fabricated, wouldn't professional plumbers prefer to use these due to longer life and better quality?

Please allow me to add one more question, does anyone know who would use plenty of the stainless steel fittings and valves? Construction Company? or Super retailers?

The benefit does not justify the difference in cost.

SS is commonly used in food processing plants, chemical plants and refineries, and in candy factories.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
          The benefit does not justify the difference in cost.

SS is commonly used in food processing plants, chemical plants and refineries, and in candy factories.
          your right it is used for food because it is easy to clean and will not corrode
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by jasonl View Post

Sad but true, plumbers no longer make the overall decisioon.
            When code allows cheaper alternatives, it slowly has a residual affect on us as customers begin to learn they can get cheaper alternatives.
            In a nutshell, stainless is just too pricey and labor intensive to consider using in mainstream residential plumbing.
            It does have a place in high end boilers and water heaters, but it usually reflects the high price on those products.
            If your asking these questions because you're considering an investment in stainless MFG for mainstream use - I'd go another route, maybe specialized markets in the industrial or commercial sector.
            If your unfamiliar with the cost comnparisons relative to the standard materials we use...you have a little more homework to do, start by comparing it to the price of copper, brass, then PEX, amongst other plastics.
            Last edited by DuckButter; 06-23-2008, 08:48 PM. Reason: BOLD!

Comment

Car wash pump stations.

Comment

Coal burning power plants use a lot of stainless.

Comment

it's also used in high pressure misting systems. labs, high purity process piping, high pressure gasses.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Stainless steel is also not listed for use with potable water...
                    A company here in Phx installed their main in a high-rise using orbital welded stainless and had to rip it out and replace it with copper when the city inspectors could not approve it for lack of potable water listing...

Comment

Marine supply house. Boats either use ss or bronze.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

stainless steel pipes and fittings are getting popular, even for some households.. type 316 is a bit expensive though..

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
                          Stainless steel is also not listed for use with potable water...
                          A company here in Phx installed their main in a high-rise using orbital welded stainless and had to rip it out and replace it with copper when the city inspectors could not approve it for lack of potable water listing...
                          So why do dairies use it for their milk processing? I've wondered about that one before, just never got around to asking.
                          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Waste water treatment plants and some potable water treatment stations. It also is different in price due to types of grade of SS.

Comment

I've worked on some Police stations ,built during the Carter administration, that had stainless pipe with cast brass sweat fittings on the water piping and some of the drainage.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X