Mysterious crack in tub

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mysterious crack in tub

I know, its just the principal of the whole thing driving me nuts.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
      I know, its just the principal of the whole thing driving me nuts.

Greg
      By California law if it is a defect from original construction you have 3-years from when you first notice it but no longer than 10-years from completion of occupancy.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had a crack in my tub. I told her to get the hell out.
        sigpic

Comment

Here's an update: Builder's representative came in and tried to give me some line about my warranty (1 yr fit and finish)being expired. Then I explained to him that I was a plumbing professional, and that it was my opinion that this was either poor workmanship, or manufacture defect, and both I thought should be under a different sort of warranty. So I asked as we were parting after the first visit if he could get me the manufacture info on the tub(as it was not included in the new homeowner book) so that I could look into contacting them and proceed from there. He took note and left.

A week or so later I saw him driving down the street as I was out walking with the kids as they rode their bikes. He flagged me down and said that he had talked to the bosses and they all agreed that this should be fixed.

That was a couple of weeks ago. Still no phone call from the repair guy. I presume it will be as they are getting the next batch of houses finished and they need to fix the tubs that were damaged during construction before change of ownership.

We'll see.

Greg

Comment

It's a shrinkage crack, they sprayed the finish coat and moved that unit to a cooler temperature, that's why it's cracking in such a strange place.

Don't worry, there will be more. Most if not all of them will spider crack in the floor of the unit if it is not sitting on a mortar/solid base.

Pock marks show up; bubbles in the finish that eventually pop and cause the tub to leak.

It's fair to assume that the cheapest unit went in that structure. In my area

AquaGlass
            AKER
            Lasco

are to name a few
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Im sure it's one of the cheapo's, The Master Tub is a Florestone, but That may be the cheapest 60x36x20" deep tub around. Hall bath could be any of the cheaps, it's a 60x30 tub standard as they come.

Greg

Comment

Tub repair guy was in on Thurs, and things keep getting more and more interesting. This tub was previously repaired, it is a Sterling moulded plastic unit, and the previous repar goes down 6" into the bathing well. The tub repair guy says he can repair it, but the repair will carry no warranty...So I ask him to inform the builder of the problem, and that I don't want a repair done that doesn't have some sort of warranty, as the house is only 1.5 years old. He agreed and called the builders rep, then his boss, then told me that I was to expect a call from someone with the builder that has the authority to make a decision. I will post pic's as to what the tub looks like now in awhile.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                  Tub repair guy was in on Thurs, and things keep getting more and more interesting. This tub was previously repaired, it is a Sterling moulded plastic unit, and the previous repar goes down 6" into the bathing well. The tub repair guy says he can repair it, but the repair will carry no warranty...So I ask him to inform the builder of the problem, and that I don't want a repair done that doesn't have some sort of warranty, as the house is only 1.5 years old. He agreed and called the builders rep, then his boss, then told me that I was to expect a call from someone with the builder that has the authority to make a decision. I will post pic's as to what the tub looks like now in awhile.

Greg
                  Good job and stick to your guns. If the builders repair guy won't warranty the repair on a new tub the repair should not be accepted.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here's a pic. camera has a hard time focusing on the white on white. Extreme left crack is rail above skirt, then as the crack continues into the shadow, that is the bathing well. Pretty nasty.

Comment

Oh heck yeah,
                      If I had put it in and it was found to be my responsibility.I'd feel furtunate that they didn't have me replace the WHOLE thing.
                      And pay for entire patch/repair.

Comment

On another note. When my wife called me to ask if I had listened to the message (from the tub repair guy) and called him to confirm the appt(which I hadn't) I had her text message the info, and when I got the info, I already had the contact info in my phone. He is my tub repair guy as well.

Greg

Comment

It looks to me like maybe someone dropped a ladder or something heavy on the rail/skirt area and broke it. Not sure if they have record some where as to who done it, but unless I get a FAT written warranty for any repair, this tub is coming out, or maybe I'll let them cash me out and remodel it myself.

Greg

Comment

Hope it can be repaired to your satisfaction. Bringing in a new 1 piece unit will be a S.O.B. You sometimes have to destroy a path to get it in. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

No easy resolution, for sure. Not really my problem though. The repair guy is on my side. Whoever did this repair the first time should never have repaired it.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                                Hope it can be repaired to your satisfaction. Bringing in a new 1 piece unit will be a S.O.B. You sometimes have to destroy a path to get it in. Good luck.

J.C.
                                This thing is a surround,ohh this is gonna get big

Comment

Working...
                                X