Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Mysterious crack in tub

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mysterious crack in tub

    So, i put the boy in the tub for a bath tonight and i found something a little disturbing...A hairline crack in my fiberglass tub going from about the shower door 1.5 in or so to the bathing well, then another 2" or so down. The crack is large enough to catch a fingernail on.

    The house is new we are the original owners, and we moved in 12/2007. Does this sound like a MFR warranty problem on the tub, a contractor warranty issue or?

    My homeowner guide that is supposed to have all the fixture info for the house is conveniently missing the info for this bathtub, my guess is that it is either a Sterling, or a Florestone, but there is no markings on the tub.

    What do you guys think? I have started the wheels rolling with the builder, curious to see what you guys think. Will post pics in a few mins

    Greg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glkearns; 06-24-2008, 11:49 PM. Reason: add photo

  • #2
    Re: Mysterious crack in tub

    Originally posted by glkearns View Post
    So, i put the boy in the tub for a bath tonight and i found something a little disturbing...A hairline crack in my fiberglass tub going from about the shower door 1.5 in or so to the bathing well, then another 2" or so down. The crack is large enough to catch a fingernail on.

    The house is new we are the original owners, and we moved in 12/2007. Does this sound like a MFR warranty problem on the tub, a contractor warranty issue or?

    My homeowner guide that is supposed to have all the fixture info for the house is conveniently missing the info for this bathtub, my guess is that it is either a Sterling, or a Florestone, but there is no markings on the tub.

    What do you guys think? I have started the wheels rolling with the builder, curious to see what you guys think. Will post pics in a few mins

    Greg
    I would go after the builder and let him worry about whether it is a manufacturing problem or an installation problem.

    Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Mysterious crack in tub

      Already started the ball rolling on that one.

      Hopefully there will be a timely resolution of this.
      Greg

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Mysterious crack in tub

        greg, i take it, this is a tract home.

        tubs get beat up during construction. it's not uncommon to have the tub patched at the end of the job.

        the company that supplied the tub, should be able to patch the tub.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Mysterious crack in tub

          My guess is the crack is just in the gel coat and it was caused by not having the walls plumb. They will likely just patch it in place and you will never know the difference.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Mysterious crack in tub

            Greg When we have problems with cracks in tubs and I have seen some big ones most of the time either the builder has someone he uses to repair them or you can try the supply house that supplied the unit and they will send someone out to repair it. Most of the time they can take care of cracks like that no problem because thats all they do is repairs on tubs and showers. They are usually reimbursed by the tub manufacturer or the builder so you shouldnt have to worry about any expense yourself

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Mysterious crack in tub

              no worries that can be repaired and and blended right back in, happend to me i was fixing a light over the wifes whirlpool tub and droped a screwdriver and it naturally took a chip out of the tub because the golden rule is when ever you do things for yourself or a relative things will go to he#l in a heartbeat, luckily she was out of town called the tub doctor in a flash it was gone so was some of my hard earned money pride and damage to the ego which is repairable over time, wife never knew which is the most important part of this message, because they never forget and embarrased husbands tell no tales

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                morter bed issue..?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                  My guess is tub was damaged during construction, the thing that is making me anxious is I am getting nowhere with the builder. I know I can probably just get it fixed for $200 or so, but I feel like I shouldn't have to be doing this after only 18 months.

                  Greg

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                    Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                    My guess is tub was damaged during construction, the thing that is making me anxious is I am getting nowhere with the builder. I know I can probably just get it fixed for $200 or so, but I feel like I shouldn't have to be doing this after only 18 months.

                    Greg
                    Who is your builder?

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                      developer is standard pacific, GC is L&D construction (San Jose)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                        Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                        developer is standard pacific, GC is L&D construction (San Jose)
                        Here is a online form to request service:

                        http://www.standardpacifichomes.com/...rCareMain.aspx

                        If you need more help send me a PM.

                        Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                          Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                          My guess is tub was damaged during construction, the thing that is making me anxious is I am getting nowhere with the builder. I know I can probably just get it fixed for $200 or so, but I feel like I shouldn't have to be doing this after only 18 months.

                          Greg
                          Let me be the devils advocate here. No disrespect to your problem....but is this expected by everyone after 1.5 years?

                          I've often had to provide everything, even tubs, for projects and noone would warranty this after 1 year.

                          So is it a normal expectation for a tub crack to be covered after 1.5 years of living there?

                          Once again, no disrespect to your problem and I hope you get it covered.

                          J.C.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                            I feel like, due to the location of the crack, and the obviousness that it was not caused by neglect or user abuse there was either something inherently wrong with the tub at manufacture, or something wrong with the installation, or a faulty patch job done on a tub that was damaged during construction. Either way, I feel like with this crack, there was either something wrong with the tub to start with, or it was manufactured or installed wrong. I have installed alot of bath tubs, and gone back to see them 10+ years later, and sure they may show signs of wear, hard water staining, etc, but a crack that I can catch my fingernail on after such a short time, in my experience, something just isn't right.

                            Greg

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Mysterious crack in tub

                              I agree with you GL. Installed lots of tubs. Supplied them too. Had to have them repaired under warranty. Been back many years later as you stated without one crack. Various ones of various materials.

                              But as far as warranty, I think they'll make it more trouble than it's worth. Unless you're holding a written warranty/policy specifically stating so, you might end up wasting $300.00 worth of time for a $200.00 repair.

                              Either way, hope it works out best for you.

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X