X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushing the lines

I am having a problem with my residential septic and plumbing. There seems to be a blockage because both toilets are flushing weakly. The toilet that is closest to the septic tank is alittle worse. I use the same plumber everytime and they think the lines going from the house to the tank need to be flushed with a high powered jetting machine. Also, I saw him open the top of the cleanout and without effort could see what looked like mud almost at the top. The cost they said would be $750.00 after a 15% discount for being a valued customer (that plan i have also paid for). after getting someone else from that company on the phone to ask more questions they dropped the price down to $600.00.
    Does this sound like a reasonable solution and price? The tank is very close to the house, maybe 30 ft to clean but they said it is priced per use of the jetting machine not length to clean. And what does the mud??? at the top of the cleanout mean and how will this take care of that?

Re: Flushing the lines

$600 sounds a bit steep. here the jetter is $250/HR with a 1 hour minimum.

does this $$ include video inspection or anything else?

here it would be $250 to jet and $150 for video inspection. $400 for the whole shooting match. any repairs, etc are extra

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Yes that price does include a camera through the lines.

Comment

I think I'd have the septic tank pumped first.
        sigpic

Comment

Do you know if your tank has an affluent filter?
          When you say he opened the clean out are you talking about at the tank?
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Glynda View Post
            I am having a problem with my residential septic and plumbing. There seems to be a blockage because both toilets are flushing weakly. The toilet that is closest to the septic tank is alittle worse. I use the same plumber everytime and they think the lines going from the house to the tank need to be flushed with a high powered jetting machine. Also, I saw him open the top of the cleanout and without effort could see what looked like mud almost at the top. The cost they said would be $750.00 after a 15% discount for being a valued customer (that plan i have also paid for). after getting someone else from that company on the phone to ask more questions they dropped the price down to $600.00.
            Does this sound like a reasonable solution and price? The tank is very close to the house, maybe 30 ft to clean but they said it is priced per use of the jetting machine not length to clean. And what does the mud??? at the top of the cleanout mean and how will this take care of that?

Let me guess, they have a "Mister" in their name right? Get it pumped first, then if there is still a problem call to get another price for jetting from another company. That way you have a local comparison. Pricing varies by region, so we can't help you there.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I do not know about a filter but yes, the clean out at the tank.

Comment

The normal level of water and "mud" (floating grease/debris) should be about a foot lower then the top of the tank.
                If the level of the water/mud is at the top of the tank then your problem is more then likely at the outlet side.
                when he opened the tank he should have opened it in three places.
                1. where the pipe comes in
                2. the clean out in the middle
                3. where the pipe goes out (this is where the filter is, if you have one)

How old is your system?
                Did he or you stick a stick through this "mud" to see how thick it is?
                When is the last time it was pumped?
                How many people in the home?
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Also, it sounds like this company likes to overcharge. If they dropped the price 15% to $750, and then dropped it another $150 after you asked questions...what does that say about them? I would stay away from this company.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    Also, it sounds like this company likes to overcharge. If they dropped the price 15% to $750, and then dropped it another $150 after you asked questions...what does that say about them? I would stay away from this company.
                    Awful nice of them to offer a discount on an inflated price

At that price it would almost be worth it for you to drive down to GA.

My money is on the filter clog

Comment

Glynda, where 'bouts in Georgia are y'all? in the Atlanta area?

i know someone who might be able to help

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

sounds like the plumber you have used just got themself a water jetter and is trying to pay it off. Sounds to me like your septic needs pumped out and after that if you still have a blockage I would recommend you trying to contact a more reasonable plumber or drain cleaner in your area. Ask around to your friends and family see if they know someone fair and honest

Comment

Pump the Septic Tank. It's cheaper than your quoted jet price (in my area of NC), might fix your problem, and probably overdue for maintenance. We do it all the time. After we pump or while pumping we have the homeowner go run water/flush toilets to see if the water is getting there. Often without the pressure of the overfilled tank the clog will clear itself. And alot of tank cleaners have cable/jet equipment.

Pump the tank is your best bet in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck and post results please.

J.C.

Comment

Pump, Pump, Pumpitty Pump.
                            sigpic

Comment

You are probably right about staying away from the company because he also suggested a second option of replacing the pipes running to the septic from bathrooms because new pipe would be smoother on the inside than the pipe I have and would cut down on what would stick to the sides. of course it will be even more money.
                              There are two of us in the house. We don't use a lot of water, we work all day and aren't usually home. Our plumber also said that might aggravate the problem.
                              The system was built with the house in 1986. In 2005 we had jetting machine ran to the outlet side of septic to clear field lines and video inspection to determine reason for another blockage. They said it
                              revealed paper and septage in field lines and since have been using Rid x and have been pretty much problem free. From 03 to 05 it seemed we were pumping often.

With this blockage or slowdown, the actual tank hasn't been dug up yet. The junk I saw was at the top of a maybe 6 inch pipe sticking out of the ground above the septic tank. He onscrewed a lid on it and i could see inside.
                              I am learning alot from this and appreciate the feedback

I am in Chatsworth, Ga about 1 hr 10 minutes north of Atlanta.

Comment

Working...
                              X