Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Drain venting question. What can be done.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain venting question. What can be done.

Hi,

I'm at a loss at what I can do with my small master bathroom. The bathroom is 5'4" x 7'9". My goal is to improve the shower situation as the original built in shower stall was 29" x 30", which is pretty much useless in my opinion. I had initially thought increasing the shower size would have been trivial as I could just remove the shower wall and replace it with a glass wall, thus giving me 4 more inches instantly. Well as you can see by the pictures (refer to the flickr link at the bottom of the post), my hopes were dashed by the drainage vents

I'm going bonkers trying to think of ways to run the vent without blowing my budget and/or expanding the bathroom a foot into the master bedroom.

Due to the size of the washroom, I am willing to give up 6 inches from the 7'9" length to accommodate the vents.

I thought about running the vents through the wall that contains the current shower water lines. This is a 2x6 wall so there is space but getting the pipe to go through the sole plate would be too tight and it's something you'll have to do from below. I have painted stipple ceilings below me so cutting into the ceiling isn't an option. If it wasn't stippled or painted, this would be an issue but matching painted stipple is beyond painful.

I also thought about doubling up on the joist and add some blocking so I can take a 1 1/4" inch notch from the top of the joist to run the vent to the back but I don't think this is structurally sound.

I also thought about zig zagging the shower vent around the joists but I'm concerned about the rate of air flow and it can't be cheap having all those copper transition pieces.

I also thought about running the vents up to the sole plate of the bathroom/bedroom wall and create a wall that will be flush with the depth of the toilet tank which will be used to tie the vent back into the main stack.

You can view the photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/35585549@N00/

If you have any suggestions on what I can do, it would be greatly appreciated. Note, I live in Ontario so I can use french drains (that's what I believe they are called).

Thanks,
    Terrence

Re: Drain venting question. What can be done.

You just have to extend the vents into the new shower wall. Easier said then done though. Why not call a licensed plumber?

Comment

It seems the easiest solution would be to move the vents into the wall with the shower valve but keep in mind most of us do not use the CPC so a Canadian plumber would be the best to answer you. Under the UPC your old shower would have been illegal as the smallest dimension for a shower under our code is 30". Another concern for you to consider is to make sure you do not impede on the area for your water closet. Under our code you must have a minimum of 15" from the center of the water closet to an adjacent wall.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks guys. Yeah my preference is to run it along the same wall as the shower valve. That space is a little too tight for my skill set so I may well bring in a licensed plumber.

Comment

You should be able to drill the vent you have marked in green into the next bay over and shoot both your vents (green and red) past the closet flange then tie them back together under the floor and bring the vent up in wall behind the toilet. Then you can turn the vent tee and tie the vent back in. It does not look to be that difficult of a job. You can then build out the wall around 3" vent stack back to wall and move your shower drain through floor joist to get your new center line.
          ________
          M78
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
            You should be able to drill the vent you have marked in green into the next bay over and shoot both your vents (green and red) past the closet flange then tie them back together under the floor and bring the vent up in wall behind the toilet. Then you can turn the vent tee and tie the vent back in. It does not look to be that difficult of a job. You can then build out the wall around 3" vent stack back to wall and move your shower drain through floor joist to get your new center line.
            You lucky devil,we're not allowed to tie vents together under the flood rim of the fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              You lucky devil,we're not allowed to tie vents together under the flood rim of the fixtures.
              yeah 6" above flood rim overflow

Comment

Your right I did not notice as I glanced (didn't enlarge them) at the pictures that the vent was coming off the shower arm. But under our code the vent showed in this picture is still illegal as we are not allowed to flat vent.
                ________
                Mexico Hotels
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM.
                Mike

Comment

Are you allowed to flat vent a shower like this in California?
                  ________
                  M47
                  Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X