Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e you ever to old to start a new career?

If you are a humble man, I say give it a shot. It is mind and labor intensive and I sleep very well.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Re: e you ever to old to start a new career?

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
      Sorry I guess I should have stated that better that in no matter what end of the plumbing spectrum you find yourself working in Codes are there for a reason and you will need to know them as much in service work as you will in new construction. It is just in my area to pass the state exam for your license you will become more familiar with the codes quicker doing new construction than you will doing service . and on the exam the service part of the test was a joke . I think the hardest question was whats a basin wrench. Whereas the bulk of the test was geared more towards commercial and new contruction questions.
      I might disagree. Although you do learn your codes quicker on new construction, you learn by others mistakes (that you fix) just as quick doing the service end. The written was not that tough if you put in the study time with your plumbers bible and learn where everything is in it. (Personally I froze the first 20 minutes, total brain freeze, looked through about 20 questions to get one I knew enough to thaw it out, then eezed into it.) The law exam was tough. I blew my first lead wipe ((stupid mistake)) but made it through OK the second time. Here, about 1 in 3 pass the first time, so I didn't feel that bad. The guys that keep going back over and over and over and over you REALLY start feeling bad for. Some become lifer apprentices, but on the job they're just as good as the rest and are leaned on, but not paid.

In Michigan, you're looking at 3 years minimum to get to take your test, and if you pass the first time you're probably 3 1/2 yrs in. Then 2 more for the masters and contractors licenses. You'll be 50. That thought made me stop this train of thought more than once...
      sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
      X