Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e you ever to old to start a new career?

I have been giving some serious thought about starting a new career. Right now,I am in the construction field as a truck driver. I have been thinking about getting into the plumbing career field. My big fear is that I may be getting to old...(43......haha) to start all over. I live up here in maine so I would not know even where to start. Thanks for any input.

Re: e you ever to old to start a new career?

Hey sanman,
    First time I've run into you on the forum, Welcome.
    What area of Maine are you in?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

You've already made the best first step you can.
      WELCOME TO THE BEST PLUMBING FORUM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
        Hey sanman,

I am in southern maine,saco. near OOB.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
          Hey sanman,
          I usually hang out in the tool and woodworking forums.

Comment

Originally posted by sanman View Post
            I usually hang out in the tool and woodworking forums.
            well welcome to the hip hopping side of the forum

sorry to the other sides of the forum i do like the other sides also
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You are never to old to start a new career. The first thing you will want to do is decide what type of plumbing you are interested in getting into . By that I mean new construction, remodelling, service , drain cleaning , ect...... If you have no experience other than doing things at home you will want to try and find a job under a master plumber in your area.
              Welcome to the forum and if you could be more specific with your question I will answer whatever I can to help you with your decision

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                You are never to old to start a new career. The first thing you will want to do is decide what type of plumbing you are interested in getting into . By that I mean new construction, remodelling, service , drain cleaning , ect...... If you have no experience other than doing things at home you will want to try and find a job under a master plumber in your area.
                Welcome to the forum and if you could be more specific with your question I will answer whatever I can to help you with your decision
                So many to choose from. I would like to venture into new construction(get the least dirty I guess..........LOL....just kidding)

Comment

The first thing you will need to do is to get a job with a master plumber. You will need to enroll in the state apprentice program, and work under a master at the same time. Of course, any reading you do in the meantime is a big plus.

This link should give you all the info you need.
                  http://www.maine.gov/pfr/professiona...ng/index.shtml
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes the new construction part of the plumbing is definately cleaner and you will learn a lot about codes but I actually prefer getting a little dirty doing the service as people are always happy to see you and more than happy to pay you when you are done. Try and find a plumbing outfit that does a variety of work that way when contruction slows down you are not out of a job

Comment

Originally posted by sanman View Post
                      I have been giving some serious thought about starting a new career. Right now,I am in the construction field as a truck driver. I have been thinking about getting into the plumbing career field. My big fear is that I may be getting to old...(43......haha) to start all over. I live up here in maine so I would not know even where to start. Thanks for any input.
                      Probably the biggest differences between what you are doing now, versus what you might do as a plumber someday, is --

A. Every day you will do something different. No two days are ever alike in the mechanical trades (well, most of the time).
                      B. At the end of the day you can say, "I fixed or built that" and there is a great sense of accomplishment associated with knowing that "I made a difference today".

If these differences sound good to you, then make the jump at any age, because everyone deserves to look forward to going to work!

If you like to build things and don't really dig people much (I'll catch **** for that one ), consider the construction side of the trade.

If you like diversity and like to talk to people while looking them square in the eye, consider the service side.

Also keep in mind that your age is actually a major advantage in service. Once you have experience and knowledge under your belt, people will tend to trust you over a young buck (probably catch **** for that one too - I'll bet Service Guy will be first out of the chute )! For this reason, I look hard for 30-40 something employees who are looking for a life change.

Best of luck in your quest for something better!
                      spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                        Yes the new construction part of the plumbing is definately cleaner and you will learn a lot about codes but I actually prefer getting a little dirty doing the service as people are always happy to see you and more than happy to pay you when you are done. Try and find a plumbing outfit that does a variety of work that way when contruction slows down you are not out of a job
                        I agree.
                        But for Pete's sake try and make sure they excersize knowledgeable code practice.

Everyone says they know a lot of it,few truely do.Even I try to be as informed as much as possible,always trimming and tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                          I agree.
                          But for Pete's sake try and make sure they excersize knowledgeable code practice.

Everyone says they know a lot of it,few truely do.Even I try to be as informed as much as possible,always trimming and tuning.
                          Sorry I guess I should have stated that better that in no matter what end of the plumbing spectrum you find yourself working in Codes are there for a reason and you will need to know them as much in service work as you will in new construction. It is just in my area to pass the state exam for your license you will become more familiar with the codes quicker doing new construction than you will doing service . and on the exam the service part of the test was a joke . I think the hardest question was whats a basin wrench. Whereas the bulk of the test was geared more towards commercial and new contruction questions.

Comment

Sanman ,I'm going to be the devils advocate.
                            You're 43, no spring chicken.
                            Apprentices tend to take on the more physicaL work, overseen by licensed plumbers...it's considered doing your time.
                            You'll have to keep pace with some guys that are less than half your age, especially in new construction where it's all about productivity. you'll also find it very humbling...apprentices tend to be the "children" of the trade.

IF you can do this physically & mentally, it pays back in dividends, but it's NOT easy.
                            Also, you'll probably make less for the first few years than you now do, but once you get the license you're golden, the money's good.

IF you decide you can do this I'm more than happy to help with info, tips and advice in any way I can...I suspect the others here feel the same...as long as you make an educated & informed decision about doing this.

Comment

I have been trying to figure out a new career everyday for the past 3 yrs.
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X