Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whose old pipes are they??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Whose old pipes are they??

    Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    If I were to do a water heater replace for you, and you were to ask me for the several inches of 1/2" leftover scrap copper, you'd get an odd look.
    For the $1.50 to $2.00 in scrap, if your willing to take the ride to the scrap yard for it...sure, all yours.

    In the case of the o/p, yeah, he has a right to claim it, it's his.
    The fact that the guy was so brazen about it is borderline criminal.
    I wouldn't actually ask for it, but if I did I would expect to get it; unless we agreed on you keeping it in the first place.

    The reason I replied auto parts is that it is the law at least here that the shop must return any old parts to you if you ask for them. The exception is if it is a warranty replacement and they need to return it to the manufacturer, they keep it but must make it available for inspection.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Whose old pipes are they??

      Originally posted by dhstock View Post
      The city is widening street and the contractor hit the pipe to house with back-hoe. They sent a plumber, he proceeded to roll up the pipe (he grabbed it before I could) and placed in his truck.
      I asked him to return my pipe, he said it was his now. I told him it was in my property and it was mine, I paid for it and I wanted it. He refused. I called him a jerk.


      Wasn't sure where the pipe issue fit.
      in my opinion, the contractor hit the pipe and they sent a plumber to fix it/ replace it. the contractor paid for the pipe and the repair. truthfully the pipe belongs to the contractor.

      if you paid for the repair, then it's your's. you didn't pay for the repair.

      many, many years ago on a job site, we had cored a hole in the deck. hit a large conduit with a long run of wires.

      i figured if we had to pay the electrician for the repair, we own the wire that was damaged/ removed.

      he kept it, we paid for his labor, not for the wire. that was years ago when copper was pretty cheap. today at $3.00 a pound scrap, it would have been a small fortune or aluminum.

      rick.
      phoebe it is

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Whose old pipes are they??

        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        in my opinion, the contractor hit the pipe and they sent a plumber to fix it/ replace it. the contractor paid for the pipe and the repair. truthfully the pipe belongs to the contractor.

        if you paid for the repair, then it's your's. you didn't pay for the repair.

        rick.
        "if you paid for the repair, then it's your's. you didn't pay for the repair. "

        I will agree to that statement
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Whose old pipes are they??

          I tend to agree with your atatement, will not be doing any calls regarding this.
          BTW pipe leaking, so he has to come back out and he surely will be in a great mood....LOL

          Thanks for letting me vent (no pun intended) though, great bunch of guys.
          Heidi

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Whose old pipes are they??

            Just a word of caution, before going after a few dollars of scrap or some packing materials,
            Even if you feel there yours for what ever the reason, it may be a big lost opportunity for your business, If you do not confer with the customer first.

            Example: there was this builder of wood framed steel buildings at one time around here, he had a good business, until he started to demand the packing materials that the steel building kits came in,
            The Farmers thought was I bought the building and everything that came with the building, The builder said I said I would build you a building for $XX,XXX and you have a building and the rest is mine,



            Since the contracts from what I heard were not specific on the "scrap".
            Regardless of who was right for a few dollars in some cover sheets and a few 2x boards.

            For most farmers around here he lost any further opportunity to work for them,
            and before he sold out he was traveling upward of 150 miles for jobs, as no one local would hire him as he was considered a thief, by many.

            So a few words in the beginning or pointed out in a contract, could keep you a good paying customer and your reputation.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Whose old pipes are they??

              Originally posted by cpw View Post
              I wouldn't actually ask for it, but if I did I would expect to get it; unless we agreed on you keeping it in the first place.

              The reason I replied auto parts is that it is the law at least here that the shop must return any old parts to you if you ask for them. The exception is if it is a warranty replacement and they need to return it to the manufacturer, they keep it but must make it available for inspection.
              I don't often ask, any time in the past that I have I generally get an odd look as if I'm attempting to leave my trash behind.
              What it boils down to is the fact that the average amount of copper I remove amounts to less than the gas you'd spend driving to a salvage yard...if a customer goes out of the way to ask for it, sure it's theirs.
              What might amount to $1 to $2 per job adds up to $100 a month or two for me, but for each individual to have a few inches of copper sitting in their basement, it's silly to bother asking them.

              If I'm repiping a copper water main, sure, thats different, but not at a rate of a few dollars worth per job...most homeowners consider that leaving my trash behind.

              Another way of looking at this, If I demo old PVC pipe inside a plaster & lathe wall...do I have to ask the customer if they'd like to keep that as well?
              Is it my obligation to leave the heaps of crushed plaster & lathe along with the scrap PVC?
              I'd be delighted to, if it means I'm a thief I'd better stop taking that stuff.
              I'd happily take the tradeoff of not having to dispose of the trash along with not getting the scrap copper.

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Whose old pipes are they??

                Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                I don't often ask, any time in the past that I have I generally get an odd look as if I'm attempting to leave my trash behind.
                What it boils down to is the fact that the average amount of copper I remove amounts to less than the gas you'd spend driving to a salvage yard...if a customer goes out of the way to ask for it, sure it's theirs.
                What might amount to $1 to $2 per job adds up to $100 a month or two for me, but for each individual to have a few inches of copper sitting in their basement, it's silly to bother asking them.

                If I'm repiping a copper water main, sure, thats different, but not at a rate of a few dollars worth per job...most homeowners consider that leaving my trash behind.

                Another way of looking at this, If I demo old PVC pipe inside a plaster & lathe wall...do I have to ask the customer if they'd like to keep that as well?
                Is it my obligation to leave the heaps of crushed plaster & lathe along with the scrap PVC?
                I'd be delighted to, if it means I'm a thief I'd better stop taking that stuff.
                I'd happily take the tradeoff of not having to dispose of the trash along with not getting the scrap copper.
                I'm not trying to argue with you, I think your position is perfectly reasonable.

                If anyone really cares about it one way or another, the right time to discuss it is before the job starts. If everyone is up front and expectations are set right there shouldn't be any problems.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Whose old pipes are they??

                  i have done some boiler jobs where we took out the boiler and all the old pipe and put it to the side because thats what was agreed on at the start ,and if i dont know about this at the time it is my job to clean up the job before im done .
                  Charlie

                  My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                  http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                  new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Whose old pipes are they??

                    Originally posted by dhstock View Post
                    In this day of recycling old copper pipes, if I have a repiping done, are the pipes that are removed mine or the plumbers??
                    yours

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Whose old pipes are they??

                      The pipe is yours if there was not an agreement in place from the start about the scrap.
                      The biggest problem I noticed with this whole discussion is the fact that the contractor argued with the homeowner about it instead of just giving it back. I normally will take the scrap as part of cleanup but if I am asked for it I would have no problem giving it to the homeowner and on bigger jobs as whole house water line replacement from copper to CPVC or main water lines from the street to the house I ask before hand if the homeowner wants it and would consider a part of the scrap value into my bid.
                      In my opinion the customer is always right and nothing hurts a business faster than getting bad word of mouth . Plus the fact that this plumber will definately get zero repeat business. Most of my work is repeat busness and referal which keeps the cost of advertising down to next to nothing.
                      be fair with people and stay working

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X