X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose old pipes are they??

In this day of recycling old copper pipes, if I have a repiping done, are the pipes that are removed mine or the plumbers??

Re: Whose old pipes are they??

They are yours unless otherwise stated in the contract.

I usually ask the owner if I can take them when I do the ripout, most say yes. But lately more people are keeping it for themselves since copper is so outrageously priced.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

They are yours. How much pipe are you talking about?

Comment

We changed from PVC to copper from the street to house and had a T placed for outside watering (wanted high pressure to go to our "back forty" about 300') added a spiket (sp). This was 5 years ago. Pipe measured about 50'. The city is widening street and the contractor hit the pipe to house with back-hoe. They sent a plumber, he proceeded to roll up the pipe (he grabbed it before I could) and placed in his truck.
        I asked him to return my pipe, he said it was his now. I told him it was in my property and it was mine, I paid for it and I wanted it. He refused. I called him a jerk.

I had a problem earlier in the week regarding a palm tree that was knocked over and some guy came and put in his truck. I went out and made him take it out, I was then told that anything that wasn't removed by the owner was fare game for the demo guys and they could do with it what they want.

Wasn't sure where the pipe issue fit.

Comment

sounds like you got shafted.

Comment

Legally, the pipe is yours. A lot of plumbers take it and don't say anything. I ask, unless it's DWV, then I just gangster it as small recompense for playing in poo.

Comment

and "DWV" is short for what??

Comment

The fact that he refused to give it back while it sat in his truck is a bit audacious...you could technically charge him with larceny.
                I wouldn't ordinarly make that suggestion, except that he chose to argue with you.
                I generally just take the copper, unless the owner comments on the price of copper...to date I have yet to have any homeowner want to keep the copper, it's almost a traditional way of tipping a plumber.

D rainage W aste & V ent

Comment

eeewwwww, re: DWV

I think I will call his company in the AM, place a complaint, then BBB, then licensing board.
                  His attitude was bad from the get go, he said he wasn't going to get paid for this job, and he had travelled an hour to get here (course he said he hit traffic so instead of a 2 hour wait it was 5 and he deserved the pipe).
                  That's when I called him a jerk, and he told me there were a lot of jerks around here. I almost called the police, but didn't as I had just called them 2 weeks before because I saw two guys stealing close to 400' of chain link fencing. Didn't catch them, I chased them in my car! Couldn't get close enough for plate #.
                  Evidently he is a sub for a contractor. So what I say!!

Comment

"it's almost a traditional way of tipping a plumber."

I'll have to try that the next time I get the oil changed in my truck. I'll let my mechanic keep the old oil filter and oil or the waiter keep the leftovers on my plate (well, technically my wifes not my plate, I don't usually leave anything behind, I eat it all).

Maybe
                    I cold talk the mailman into taking my brand new unopened junk mail as a tip.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

I'll have to try that the next time I get the oil changed in my truck. I'll let my mechanic keep the old oil filter and oil or the waiter keep the leftovers on my plate (well, technically my wifes not my plate, I don't usually leave anything behind, I eat it all).
                      I don't know about as a tip, but they are required to give you back the old parts if you ask for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

Maybe
                        I cold talk the mailman into taking my brand new unopened junk mail as a tip.
                        Hey, I have approximately 100 lbs in my truck set for the salvage yard this week, maybe $300 is small potata's to you, but us wee workin' fella's like the little bit o extra loot every month or so!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          I don't know about as a tip, but they are required to give you back the old parts if you ask for them.
                          If I were to do a water heater replace for you, and you were to ask me for the several inches of 1/2" leftover scrap copper, you'd get an odd look.
                          For the $1.50 to $2.00 in scrap, if your willing to take the ride to the scrap yard for it...sure, all yours.

In the case of the o/p, yeah, he has a right to claim it, it's his.
                          The fact that the guy was so brazen about it is borderline criminal.

Comment

There's No way a homeowner's salvage copper is Your's. Unless it was agreed upon up front!
                            Like My Dad said " You can justify anything "
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                              Legally, the pipe is yours. A lot of plumbers take it and don't say anything. I ask, unless it's DWV, then I just gangster it as small recompense for playing in poo.
                              Legally it is the home owners, it is his property unless you have made arrangements before you started to DO YOUR LABOR.
                              You were hired for a job not to rob the guy.
                              (If he considers it junk then clean it up for him if he wants. that should be HIS DECISION. NO YOURS).
                              I thought you got payed in money for playing in the POO.

remind me If I need a plumber to hire you and I will just give you the old pipe for playing in the POO,
                              And keep my money.
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X