X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Copper in Today's Market

Given the current economic trends, I was wondering if more or less businesses are joining copper with Press Tools. It would stand to reason that the increase in copper prices justifies spending money on tools that help speed up the process. Is this true? Is more Pressing being done this year over last year? Please tell me your thoughts! Thanks.

Re: Joining Copper in Today's Market

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
    Given the current economic trends, I was wondering if more or less businesses are joining copper with Press Tools. It would stand to reason that the increase in copper prices justifies spending money on tools that help speed up the process. Is this true? Is more Pressing being done this year over last year? Please tell me your thoughts! Thanks.
    As a service plumber, I cant justify the cost of the tool. For the amount of sweating I do on the average day it does not make financial sense. Speed is always important but it must make financial sense too. Its not to say that I wouldn't think of using it on my boiler installs, I just am not too familiar with the tool and would like to see more promotions for it in the local supply houses.

Comment

I think propress is for a niche market. Not many people (at least not my customers) have the need for such a machine. The commercial sector would have more use as they need the repairs done as quickly as possible and have more money to warrant propress's use.

I firmly believe that pex will become the mainstay in American plumbing as copper prices rise. The few companies that have propress will have to market themselves towards copper instalation and repair. Government buildings in this area are getting planned to be plumbed in cpvc if that tells you anything about the decline of copper.

IMO sometimes the faster speed of getting a job done quickly is a turnoff to a customer. Ex; When I get a drain job done in 10 min(actual machine run time) I often hear "is that all it took, I could've done that". I then need to explain about my training, machine costs, business expenses etc. If the customer sees you sweat a little, they feel a little better about paying you what you're worth. If I repaired a pipe in 5 minutes and gave them a big bill to cover the machine and fittings. I would get a little heat as they just see you're there for 5 minutes, why is the bill so high?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've thought about buying the tool many times in the past, but so far I have not been able to justify the cost of the tool. I am also a service plumber, and I probably only get my torch off the truck once a day. Roughly 90% of the buildings in my town are single story, plumbed with PEX. There is not a large need for ProPress in my town.

Comment

The few times we've used it for repairs have been commercial. We've been lucky and been able to rent it. Our shop has or is considering it,
          but dry ice works enough times to make it hard to justify I think until you get a job that pays a good chunk of it cause there's no other way.

I do see more of it around though. Don't understand it. Is sweating copper getting too hard for plumbers now? I can understand the passing of galvanized and cast for plastic, but someday everyone will think they can be a plumber cause there won't be any special skill needed
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I'm with Masterplumb on this one. Maybe when heating season kicks in and we are flooded with boiler replacements then I can justify the cost. If it helps me get a normal 2 day install down to a 1 day install then I can see the benefit. Some guys have trouble soldering pipe over 1" with water in the line.

We also do a lot of water meter change outs for the water authority so there could be some cost savings there as well

Maybe this year will be the year

Comment

Only the old timers around here are still sweating.....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I'm with Masterplumb on this one. Maybe when heating season kicks in and we are flooded with boiler replacements then I can justify the cost. If it helps me get a normal 2 day install down to a 1 day install then I can see the benefit. Some guys have trouble soldering pipe over 1" with water in the line.

We also do a lot of water meter change outs for the water authority so there could be some cost savings there as well

Maybe this year will be the year
                Crack, what happened? You were drooling over the propress at the roundup.

Garager, my old timer is using the propress
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Crack, what happened? You were drooling over the propress at the roundup.

Garager, my old timer is using the propress

crack was old school at the propress race. he actually used a tape measure to mark and cut his copper

this was after he just watched me smoke the maze in under 3 minutes

remember the purpose of the maze was a timed contest. not a see how perfect it was laid out. if it fit, it was perfect.

joey, who you calling old timer?

remember team geritol was team winner

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Through all of the contests you could tell which guys had worked production and which had not. There is a big difference between a guy who handles pipe a couple service calls per week and a guy who has done it year round. My guess is next year there will be more of a mix of contests. I would also like to see more training to go along with the contests.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      crack was old school at the propress race. he actually used a tape measure to mark and cut his copper

this was after he just watched me smoke the maze in under 3 minutes

remember the purpose of the maze was a timed contest. not a see how perfect it was laid out. if it fit, it was perfect.

joey, who you calling old timer?

remember team geritol was team winner

rick.
                      Crack had the original concept right and I wish we were all required to do that. When I suggested the contest it was to test our knowledge of pipe layout and soldering to see the best plumber.

This thread has gone so off track. I bet the Ridgid guys and gals are shaking their heads in fustration as they read this. They'll think twice before they ask us a serious question again.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ridgid Dave was the guy in the Propress room at the roundup He was aware of what he was getting himself into
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID Dave View Post
                          dave, i would have to say there is growth out here.

2 years ago, all my local supply house had to special order, bring in the fittings. today they all have a decent inventory of fittings in stock.

i do know that the hand full of guys that i see buying the fittings are either repipe guys or t.i. guys.

i also know a friend of mine just bought a propress and he does service and repipes. along with another friend that does just service.

remember out here, pex is in the minority for right now.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

I firmly believe that pex will become the mainstay in American plumbing as copper prices rise. The few companies that have propress will have to market themselves towards copper instalation and repair. Government buildings in this area are getting planned to be plumbed in cpvc if that tells you anything about the decline of copper.
                            I agree - in the long haul copper is done. Heck, copper is getting so expensive and lucrative to sell as scrap that we are considering installing copper condensate drains on a/c units (commercial installs only and required by code here), calling for inspection, and then replacing with PVC after the inspection. Otherwise the drains will be stolen within weeks of installation. I see propress in the retrofit market where copper already exists and pex or other alternatives everywhere else.

BTW - I had a competitor tell me a couple of years ago that they were buying a new truck with proceeds from copper scrap . We started recycling immediately thereafter and last year my company grossed over 25k scrapping out old air conditioners and old pipe.

Wipe out China and copper/steel might have a chance.
                            spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

boilerman....what does the dry ice comment refer to?
                              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X