X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trim thread to size - thread

What are you using to tighten the nipple?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'm not sure now if it is a MIP adapter sticking out of the wall or a brass nipple. Perhaps a couple of photos might give us a little insight into what you are up against. If it is a brass nipple and you need a longer one you may need to use an easy-out to pull the old nipple.

Mark

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

OK, I'll go a bit slower for all you plumbers out there.........

2 inches of externally threaded copper pipe protrudes from a tiled shower wall at head height.....got it?

I have a stainless steel hose connector that screws onto the pipe about an inch..... still with me?

The s/s connector directs the water downwards (if its screwed on correctly) and out the hose attachment.

I have 2 problems:

1. I need the connector to sit flush against the tiles when it is screwed up tight enough to stop the water leaking out.

2. I need the outlet to be facing directly downwards when it is done up. Even a bit off 6 o'clock will look ridiculous.

Surely someone has encountered this type of problem before?
        How do you ensure taps face the right way?

Comment

Typically in the U.S. we have a FEMALE adapter IN THE WALL. Behind the tile or drywall. You thread the angled showerarm (Chrome Pipe typically) in the wall. You can get it aligned correctly, tight, and not leaking.

We don't typically do things as you describe (No boundary traps here) or at least I don't.

Pictures would give a better idea. You don't need to talk slower.

J.C.

P.S. Why not call a reputable plumber? He'll be in and out in probably 1 hour. Then you'll get to know someone when a big emergency arises.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-03-2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesredback View Post
            OK, I'll go a bit slower for all you plumbers out there.........

2 inches of externally threaded copper pipe protrudes from a tiled shower wall at head height.....got it?

I have a stainless steel hose connector that screws onto the pipe about an inch..... still with me?

The s/s connector directs the water downwards (if its screwed on correctly) and out the hose attachment.

I have 2 problems:

1. I need the connector to sit flush against the tiles when it is screwed up tight enough to stop the water leaking out.

2. I need the outlet to be facing directly downwards when it is done up. Even a bit off 6 o'clock will look ridiculous.

Surely someone has encountered this type of problem before?
            How do you ensure taps face the right way?
            Slow down the attitude turbo. What size wrench did you use to tighten this?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Typically you do not have a copper nipple as copper is too soft to be used as such. Assuming you have a copper nipple and when your fitting is as tight as it can get and you are still short of where you need to be (assuming you used a properly sized wrench for the task) remove the nipple and install a longer one.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

sounds to me like the rough installation behind the wall is messed up if the pipe is not at a 90 degree angle to the wall you may have to open up the wall behind the shower head and straighten that out. we usually use a drop ear 90 for the shower connection which has female threads on it. then we can get the proper sized brass nipple to make the shower hose connection sit flush against the tiled wall. Sorry if this sounds like more than you were expecting to do but if you have to open up the wall behind the shower head to do a proper job thats what has to be done.
                If its more than you want to take on then I would suggest getting a professional plumber over to at least look at your problem

Comment

Working...
                X