X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: back to back toilets

the tub and lav lines are connected to a 4" ideal bend with (2) 1 1/2 taps,
    no additional vents required as long as it is within 48" from the stack
    which is legal here in philly...thats how 90% of the houses here are piped in

Comment

ok when i did plumbing on long island 18 years ago you needed a vent at the end of the line then the tub and toilet were wet vented
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

try this specific link to the figure fittings.

the figure 6 is avaliable in both single and double/ back to back, with baffle. the riser can be capped. it's designed for back to back on multi story installations.

the figure 5 is a fixture fitting and has no baffle.

http://www.tylerpipe.com/utility%20c...07/pg12-13.pdf

rick.

please note the figure 6 is for vertical and the figure 8 is for horizontal.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-04-2008, 03:06 PM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          What's the difference between these and a double wye 1/8 bend? Wouldn't these fitting cause a venting issue?
          One is a sanitary fitting which is less likely to siphon the trap and other is not.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Maybe I'm a little lost on how they do plumbing here. You have an S-trap drawn on the lavatory. Maybe you didn't intend it that way. But you state that you don't need another vent as long as it's 48" from the 4" stack?

How are you NOT going to have an S-trap at the lavatory without venting it individually. Vent it & connect it to the tub line.

Also, you show a toilet all by itself to the right of the brick wall. Gotta' have a lavatory in there somewhere.

I try to NOT have bathrooms working together on the DWV but rather working independently.

Do you really plumb for a living? Just curious about these different rules in Philly.

J.C.

Comment

Double fixture fitting might be a better choice...

Comment

Used a figure five not a dubble santee and for sure not a dubble combo

Comment

The only reason a wye and 1/8 bend would cause a venting problem is if they were connected to a P trap, which can put the trap weir above the wye inlet. Since toilets have S traps and the trap weir is always going to be above the vent, it makes no difference. However, Rick has a very good point when it comes to cleaning out the line.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    The only reason a wye and 1/8 bend would cause a venting problem is if they were connected to a P trap, which can put the trap weir above the wye inlet. Since toilets have S traps and the trap weir is always going to be above the vent, it makes no difference. However, Rick has a very good point when it comes to cleaning out the line.
                    Now I understand, thanks. Mark, I guess you had to break it down a little further for me.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by se215 View Post
                      do you think there will there be any venting or vacuum problems
                      if the 2 toilets are installed back to back with a double combo wye
                      with one 4" vent
                      I Would worry about the turds colliding
                      rgds Big ears

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                        Maybe I'm a little lost on how they do plumbing here. You have an S-trap drawn on the lavatory. Maybe you didn't intend it that way. But you state that you don't need another vent as long as it's 48" from the 4" stack?

How are you NOT going to have an S-trap at the lavatory without venting it individually. Vent it & connect it to the tub line.

Also, you show a toilet all by itself to the right of the brick wall. Gotta' have a lavatory in there somewhere.

I try to NOT have bathrooms working together on the DWV but rather working independently.

Do you really plumb for a living? Just curious about these different rules in Philly.

J.C.

yea i do plumbing for living
                        philadelphia has its own plumbing code...there are a lot of things different than the UPC that most of you follow...we are not allowed to use PVC underground-everything has to be cast iron(pack and poured lead joints)
                        no PVC in any commerical buildings,and the venting codes are very different than the UPC
                        look at drawing #1 this is right out of my code book

Comment

Originally posted by se215 View Post
                          yea i do plumbing for living
                          philadelphia has its own plumbing code...there are a lot of things different than the UPC that most of you follow...we are not allowed to use PVC underground-everything has to be cast iron(pack and poured lead joints)
                          no PVC in any commerical buildings,and the venting codes are very different than the UPC
                          look at drawing #1 this is right out of my code book
                          Thanks. Didn't know this. Not very familiar with UPC and obviously Philly. Does the UPC/Philly code allow S-trapping and toilet rooms without a lavatory? I'm seriously asking-not smarting off.

J.C.

Comment

here is the drawing from our code book...i had to resize it
                            yes in philly we are allowed to use a s-trap
                            why wouldnt you be?
                            i dont know about the UPC ...i dont do much plumbing outside the city
                            and the bathroom on the right will have a lav with its own 1 1/2 stack
                            down to the 4" main drain, with a 1 1/2 vent through the roof...its not on the drawing i was looking for opinions on the toilets rough in

thanks for all your answers
                            Attached Files

Comment

Your drawing is fine. You will have no problems with that, as you stated about 90% of houses in Philly are piped that way. Your second toilet through the brick wall must be within 8 feet of the stack.

Comment

thanks
                                i was going to use a double combo wye...i didnt think a double san tee was a good idea...
                                i am going to use a double fixture fitting(60 deg angle insted of combo wye 45)

Comment

Working...
                                X