Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threading Stainless steel pipe

Hello
    I need to know about threading Stainless steel Pipe. I have done this before. I use a ridgid tripod stand with a 700 power head. My question is , Is there any type of protection device made to protect the stainless pipe from being damaged when the threading gets hard and wants to spin the pipe in the tripod stands grip?????? I'm thinking of a plastic / rubber type of grip device that would go between the chain of the tripod stand and the stainless steel pipe being threaded?????
    Thaks

Re: Threading Stainless steel pipe

It would be pretty tough to keep the pipe from spinning with anything but the jaws on the tripod. With threading stainless, it takes a lot more grip in the tripod to keep it from spinning compared to regular SCH40 steel pipe.

If you were to use a 300 or 535 threader, the jaws on the threader hold the pipe well but it does leave little indents where the teeth on the jaws grab the pipe. This would be less damage to the pipe and would be less noticeable.

Comment

How about a spiral of sandcloth ,rough side against pipe, in jaw area ????
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Haven't tried this but what about a piece of rainbow rubber wrapped around the pipe to ptotect from contact with the chain and jaws.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

change the vice teeth

Comment

Check the teeth and see if they need to be cleaned then make sure you are using the right type of cutting oil...

Comment

Working...
            X