X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water hammer in the toliet supply line

After flushing a toliet and the tank fills up, there is about 30 - 45 seconds of what I think is water hammer noise. The toliet recently started to make the noise. Will an hammer arrestor installed in the water line eliminate this noise.

Thank you, Phil

Re: Water hammer in the toliet supply line

Originally posted by philavon View Post
    After flushing a toliet and the tank fills up, there is about 30 - 45 seconds of what I think is water hammer noise. The toliet recently started to make the noise. Will an hammer arrestor installed in the water line eliminate this noise.

Thank you, Phil
    A arrestor may help but first check your water pressure to the house then check the ball cock for worn parts. There is usually a reason a water hammer suddenly appears and while an arrestor may mask the problem it is not a repair.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thank you, Mark, I will recheck the ball cock valve and replace it if needed. I appreciate your prompt response, Phil

Comment

Check you supply stop also

Comment

Water Hammering

What does a Water Hammer look like?

There is water hammering and there is vibration. Water hammering occurs when a valve or fixture valve complete closes. Water is resilient and when the valve closes, the water bounces backward through all the way back to the water meter. Water hammering usually makes only one bang.

The problem with this valve is 'vibrtation'. This vibration is caused only when the valve is partially closed, as stated, at a specific time for a few seconds. This vibration is cause as the water passes throug a loose washer or a washer that is swelled up and deteriorated. As the water passes through the loose or swelled up washer, it creates either a loud humming noise or a vibration sound similar to a helicopter landing on the roof top.

This vibration or humming is common in toilet valves, garden hose faucets, and most faucets with washers. Water hammering is most common with solenoid valves on washing machines and Moen single handle faucets.

Pressure regulators actually cause water hammering because the diaphram as the diaphram stops the bounce-back of the water to flow toward the meter.

The last post was right. Check the washer on the angle stop. No! Don't take any chances. Change everything. Make sure they never have a problem again. Sell them new pipes, drains, and a furnace. We do roofs too. Where you at? I'll come help you.

Yours Truly,

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by philavon View Post

Thank you, Phil
            phil, i'm picturing an older type ballcock with an actual float ball.

i would think the issue is a loose washer in the ballcock that is vibrating as the water is passing past it.

it could also be a pressure regulator going bad and is creeping up pressure as the regulator is allowing bypass. or a loose/ pinched washer closing on the seat.

check the pressure at the low side of the regulator both with nothing running/ static. and then with the toilet flushing and refilling. watch the gauge and note the pressure and chatter.

also try lifting the float as the noise starts and see if this stops it.

verify that the angle stop is all the way open, minus a 1/2 turn. this only applies to multi-turn style globe/ washer type valves. not the newer 1/4 turn ball valves.

it might be as simple as a bad ballcock or a partially open shut off valve.

let us know what you have tried and if anything works. please verify pressure readings.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thank you to each and every one who provided answers.

I solved the problem by replacing the old plastic ball cock. I first went to BORG, and of course they only had plastic valves (I knew that was a mistake before I went). I took a chance on a local hardward store, and found a brass valve, installed it, and the problem is gone.

Phil

Comment

Darn. My money was on the stop.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Working...
                X