X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unstoppable tub faucet dripping

I have an old Kohler tub faucet that won't stop dripping. I removed both stems and changed the bibb washers....still leaking and I really have to tighten the heck out of the stem to get the handle to stop turning endlessly. So , I thought the barrels on this stem which seem to be the equivlant of a seat might need replaced. This makes the problem a bit worse with regard to drippage and the handle spinning with no stopping point when you try to shut it off. It keeps turning even though the water has stopped flowing except for the drip of course. I did finally get the handle to stop turning... but again I accomplished this only by tighening the stem as far as I could and then it still dripped. I even managed to find a stem that matched it in an old hardware store so I installed it on the cold side but it didn't make any difference. Still drips. I dont have shut offs on the tub pipes(solid galv. pipe) so I can't even tell which side is still dripping . There is a pick of my stem attached....if I did it correctly. In the Danco book it says I have a K-7030 or a K-7100 bath fixture. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Re: Unstoppable tub faucet dripping

Is this a Kohler faucet that doesn't have seats in the back of the valve?

J.C.

Comment

He double posted. The picture is here. Its the Kohler with barrel seats

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18850

Comment

Yeah the first post with the attachment was deleted. Here is the stem attachment.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bailey View Post
          I have an old Kohler tub faucet that won't stop dripping. I removed both stems and changed the bibb washers....still leaking and I really have to tighten the heck out of the stem to get the handle to stop turning endlessly. So , I thought the barrels on this stem which seem to be the equivlant of a seat might need replaced. This makes the problem a bit worse with regard to drippage and the handle spinning with no stopping point when you try to shut it off. It keeps turning even though the water has stopped flowing except for the drip of course. I did finally get the handle to stop turning... but again I accomplished this only by tighening the stem as far as I could and then it still dripped. I even managed to find a stem that matched it in an old hardware store so I installed it on the cold side but it didn't make any difference. Still drips. I dont have shut offs on the tub pipes(solid galv. pipe) so I can't even tell which side is still dripping . There is a pick of my stem attached....if I did it correctly. In the Danco book it says I have a K-7030 or a K-7100 bath fixture. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
          I was going to suggest to get a seat wrench and replace the seats and then replace the washers. If you haven't ruined the stems try them again and this should do the trick. Hope this helps.

Comment

If seats do not remove dress them .

Comment

Originally posted by OBD View Post
              I was going to suggest to get a seat wrench and replace the seats and then replace the washers. If you haven't ruined the stems try them again and this should do the trick. Hope this helps.
              Get a seat wrench for what? The seats are out, they are barrel seats. You need to replace them, And it also sounds like the brass washer is missing from the stem causing the stems to keep spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by metx View Post
                If seats do not remove dress them .
                Then put thick washers on. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                  Get a seat wrench for what? The seats are out, they are barrel seats. You need to replace them, And it also sounds like the brass washer is missing from the stem causing the stems to keep spinning.
                  Yep, I have had those exact stems spin on me also. If I remember correctly, there is a brass washer and if its missing, then the barrel doesn't sit tight enough and spins as described. Thoses stems and barrels need to be replaced.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Those of you suggesting he replace the seats...there are no 'seats' for this faucet, they are barrel-seats as masterplumb pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Those of you suggesting he replace the seats...there are no 'seats' for this faucet, they are barrel-seats as masterplumb pointed out.
                      Sorry about that If you can't get it repaired with a simple o ring or gasket then have it replaced with something that is comparable and has a better parts replacement. It sounds to me that you have a fixture with a headache attached.

Comment

If that's a pic of the stem you need a new one. Anyway, there should be a brass washer on top of the seat as well. The new seats sometimes have an oring seal at the base (Kohler or A/S I can't remember which) but the new barrell seats don't always fit the old faucet base perfectly. You need the friction washer to make it work. Should be a Kohler part as well.
                        sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

I could have a brand-new shiny pair of those brass stems and bonnets, complete with the brass frictions washers ordered and installed in a short time...for my customers anyway.
                          Of course its even better to cut the entire valve out and solder in a new three-handle valve, or even a modern, pressure-balance, anti-scald, single-lever faucet with a new massaging shower-head (maybe with a cover pate if you don't want to replace the tile)....those are nice.

...sorry, I am still in salesman mode from work today.
                          Last edited by Service Guy; 07-08-2008, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. There were not any brass washers on either stem so I couldn't tell I was missing them. I did get 2 new seats (big box store as it was Saturday and I was in a pinch) and managed to locate 1 stem but again not Kohler manufactured. The spout still dripped but I think the brass washers maybe a huge part of my problem along with a few inferior manufactured parts. I ordered a rebuild kit from Kohler and 2 new stems after I read your posts. The reason why I am trying to avoid putting in a new faucet is that I will need to tear out the wall which is concrete board and tile to get out the faucet, then I would need to rework the old pipe (50 year old plumbing )with copper and connect to existing old pipe I suppose. I don't mind tackling it at a later date but I am putting in a new partial subfloor, concrete board, tiling it,a vanity/faucet ,medicine cabinet. I have a week to do it once I get started so I if I can fix the tub faucet and it lasts for another 5 years that would work out better for my situation. I'll let you guys know how these parts work out and thanks for the great input. Any more ideas...keep them coming...I got a few days till the parts arrive.

Comment

Check this faucet out.....Its a mix of gerber,price pfister and sayco

Comment

Working...
                              X