Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: toilet flushing problem

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Careful, you're about to expose the unlicensed-person-argument again.

J.C.
    Hence, the disclaimer. Maybe I should add it to my signature. If 2" will work, I guess you learn something new every day, just never seen or done it.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
      I have never seen a new-installation toilet without a proper 3" vent. I have seen many toilets work with 1 1/2", 2", and even with no vent at all.
      Oh yeah, you're right

Comment

By the way, I submitted plans, pulled permits and had it inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
          They have a plastic ball float. The assembly is almost identical although I did replace the plastic handle on the one that functions better. They both seem to use about the same amount of water from the tank when flushed. I am perturbed. It is a home depot toilet and I like Devines advice although I dont think my wife would be best pleased with me if I told her "thats what the plumbing guy online told me to do to fix it" as I put the shattered remains in its plastic garbage bag tomb.
          I'm not looking at your tank function, but it sounds like an adjustment.
          Also not looking at your DWV, but based on your description it's not that.
          Lastly, I have had a bad casting in a bowl (only a couple of times out of I don't know how many) that you could not make flush. Even took them outside, assembled them level on blocks, still wouldn't flush right. Replaced the bowl and.... WALLA! Worked.

But that's been rare in my experience. Sounds like an adjustment.

You might even be better off getting another flapper (OEM) or a universal one that may float better. Easier than yanking the toilet.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-08-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Wanna' experiment? Switch the flappers and report back.

J.C.

Comment

By our code in Ohio a 2 inch vent should be all you need . Our vents only have to be 1/2 of the size of the drain being served. Im just curious how long the toilets have been in and if something was flused down that should not have been . You might want to pull the toilet and make sure there is not something in there that might be causing a partial blockage. If you had this job inspected did you knock out the test cap going through the roof ?

Comment

You guys all missed it. He said it was a Home depot toilet in a bag. They NEVER flus worth a crap (ha ha) You could have a 20' verticle drop with a 12" vent and it still wouldn't flush.

By the way, the IPC code for wet venting toilets allows and unlimited distance from the toilet connection to the available vent and the vent size can be as small as 1 1/2". That's because theoretically, a toilet being a s trap fixture needs no vent at all to function.
                sigpic

Comment

By the way, those H.D. toilets are pure wash down action, no siphon at all and they ahve a narrowed 2" water way and a real crappy trap design and what do you want for 49 bucks?
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X