toilet flushing problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toilet flushing problem

I have 2 bathrooms in my house in which I installed identical elger brand toilets. In one I have a 4" cast iron drain line in the other I have a retrofitted 3" ABS flange that goes about 2-3' to the main 4" cast iron line. The 4" line seems to flush WAY better than does the 3" ABS line. Is this common? Should I pull the whole bugger out and reinstall a 4" line? Seems kinda silly to get a low flush toilet that I need to flush 2-3 times to get all the doo doo to go away. What say you all?

Re: toilet flushing problem

Check the operation of the fill valve and flush valve/flapper inside this toilet that's malfunctioning.

It could be a setting that's not allowing the toilet to operate properly.

All toilets are designed to operate on the minimum, 3" waste line.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Ok checked the operation. The tank is filled right up to the water line mark on the plastic tube in the center of the tank. When I operate the handle the flapper stays up only long enough for about half the water to go into the bowl then closes. If I hold the handle down obviously the whole tank drains and the toilet flushes better but that happens on the other toilet as well and it seems to flush better without holding the handle down.

Comment

shan, does it plug?, or just require a second flush?

it might be a toilet or vent issue. is the pipe accessible to look at or take pictures?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Mostly it just requires second flush but sometimes it plugs up. I am very amateur plumber and installed the drain line as well as the vent. It is a 2" vent line dedicated to only the toilet. I just went and looked and it is more like 6' before the 3" feeds into the main 4" line and I installed it with a pitch in between 1/8" and 1/4" per ft. I can take pictures but not tonight I am studying for my contractors exam (very UNstimulating material I might add)

Comment

Originally posted by shan View Post
            Mostly it just requires second flush but sometimes it plugs up. I am very amateur plumber and installed the drain line as well as the vent. It is a 2" vent line dedicated to only the toilet. I just went and looked and it is more like 6' before the 3" feeds into the main 4" line and I installed it with a pitch in between 1/8" and 1/4" per ft. I can take pictures but not tonight I am studying for my contractors exam (very UNstimulating material I might add)

actually it's better to take the contractors crash course than trying to make heads and tails over all the legal mumble jumble

you should already know the trade. it's the business law that needs the help

is the flapper adjustable. is there a foam float on the chain? eljer is not very common here, unless you go to home depot. so i'm not familiar with its flapper assembly.

there are plenty of adjustable flappers that will allow you to fine tune your flush.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Flappers, floats, flushvalves are often out of adjustment right out of the box. Identical toilets can be different. Sounds like the chain(sometimes rubber or plastic molded into the flapper) handle, or flushvalve might just need a little adjustment. Can be aggravating at times. Look in the tank of the one that operates correctly at how it flushes/the mechanics going on. (Amount of water, how long the flapper floats, position of chain) The other should be very close to this. If not, there's your problem and adjust it 'til it matches.

Based on what you've stated, it should not be your rough in plumbing.

J.C.

Comment

You simply have a severe case of toilet-in-a-box syndrome. The only way to cure this problem is a couple of whacks with a good framing hammer. Time for a Mansfield or Kohler.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

They have a plastic ball float. The assembly is almost identical although I did replace the plastic handle on the one that functions better. They both seem to use about the same amount of water from the tank when flushed. I am perturbed. It is a home depot toilet and I like Devines advice although I dont think my wife would be best pleased with me if I told her "thats what the plumbing guy online told me to do to fix it" as I put the shattered remains in its plastic garbage bag tomb.

Comment

HAHAHAHA. 2" does seem a little small for a vent, but I am by no means an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                      HAHAHAHA. 2" does seem a little small for a vent, but I am by no means an expert.
                      2" is small for a toilet vent?

Comment

I have never seen a new-installation toilet without a proper 3" vent. I have seen many toilets work with 1 1/2", 2", and even with no vent at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                          2" is small for a toilet vent?
                          Careful, you're about to expose the unlicensed-person-argument again.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                            I have never seen a new-installation toilet without a proper 3" vent. I have seen many toilets work with 1 1/2", 2", and even with no vent at all.
                            Believe it or not, there are DWV sizing tables in codebooks.

J.C.

Comment

2" was what my plumbing book told me to install. Am I an idiot? It is dedicated vent. It seems adequate to me but like I said I am an amateur so I am just following code and the recomendations of my plumbing book.

Comment

Working...
                              X