Humming pipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem was solved but was strange experience

Hello guys. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I am a kitchen and bathroom cabinet builder and I have a B General Contractor license. So, I do a little of my own plumbing when I install cabinets. Sorry guys!

I installed a kitchen three months ago and the customer has not paid me my final $2500 payment because there was a humming noise coming from the pipes. She said the plumbing was not making noise before I touched the plumbing.

The pipes would hum even when the water was not running. I called several plumbers. One said I had air in the pipes but he did not know how to get the air out. He charged me $95 to tell me this. Another plumber installed mechanical air chambers underneath the kitchen sink and under the house. This cost me $560 and my customer still has the humming pipes. Another plumber said the problem was a leak underground and he wanted to install a new water main for $3600. Another plumber told me the straps on the pipes were too tight. I paid him $200 to install new staps. Another plumber told me the noise was something broke inside the water heater and he wanted $1500 for a new heater.

Last week I saw a post that best line wrote about the difference between water hammering pipes and vibration. I went to write best line a message and his thing is banned, so I call him on the phone

What a grouchy b..... I did not realize it was 11 pm. The guy who answers the phone asks me if I have a toilet and I tell him yes. He asks me for my phone number and tells me to throw two aspirins in my toilet and tells me that he'll call first thing in the morning. I ask him why he wants me to put two aspirins in the toilet and he tells me, if you want my help you need to do what I tell you to do.

I really didn't expect this guy to call me in the morning and he does. The only thing he says is he tells me to go to my customers house and to call when I get there. When I get to the customers house he asks when the pipes make noise and I tell him it occurs for a few minutes after a fixture is used. I get to the customers house and he tells me to turn off the toilet valves and turn on and off some fixtures. I tell him that the pipes hum for about two minutes.

Then, this guy tells me that he knows what the problem is and he will come over and tell me for $350. I ask him if he will fix the problem and he say no he will just mark the problem area with a piece of chalk. I asked him why he wanted so much just to mark the problem with chalk and he said he was going to charge me $1 for the chalk and $349 to tell me what to mark.

I figured this guy was really nuts and then he tells me that after a fixture is turned off, the water compresses like air. He tells me that after the water is off the pressure inside the pipes and especially inside the water heater need to reach an equilibrium. Therefore, after the water is turned off there is still a lot of flow and activity in the system.

He told the problem was in one of two places. Either a bad pressure regulator or a bad water meter. Since there was no regulator, I went to the water meter and sure enough the sound was very loud. The water company changed the customer's water meter yesterday and so far the customer has not called me back.

I wonder why I had to pay so much and I wonder if best line was joking when they said that wanted $350 just to tell me what the problem was. Hopefully, this works and I get the $2500 my customer owes me.

You guys are great. I solved a lot of problems. I don't want something for nothing. I am going to send best line a hundred bucks. They will probably still want the whole $350. Do you think $350 would be fair if they had to come to Anaheim to solve the problem?

Comment

Re: Humming pipes

OK y'all... I went to home depot this morning to buy a new sillcock. The plumbing area guy asked me if he could help me. I went through my spiel. He handed me a water hammer (shock absorber) and told me to attach it to the cold water inlet on my washing machine - after much skepticism, I bought it instead of the sillcock and attached it like he said. Two showers and countless flushes of the john (sorry John) and running faucets - no noise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far so good. If it is, I'm going to have to find another problem.... this has been fun. My heartfelt thanks to all who replied. Joe T

Comment

Re: My problem was solved but was strange experience

Originally posted by Arts Cabinets View Post
        Hello guys. Thank you for allowing me to join.

I am a kitchen and bathroom cabinet builder and I have a B General Contractor license. So, I do a little of my own plumbing when I install cabinets. Sorry guys!

I installed a kitchen three months ago and the customer has not paid me my final $2500 payment because there was a humming noise coming from the pipes. She said the plumbing was not making noise before I touched the plumbing.

The pipes would hum even when the water was not running. I called several plumbers. One said I had air in the pipes but he did not know how to get the air out. He charged me $95 to tell me this. Another plumber installed mechanical air chambers underneath the kitchen sink and under the house. This cost me $560 and my customer still has the humming pipes. Another plumber said the problem was a leak underground and he wanted to install a new water main for $3600. Another plumber told me the straps on the pipes were too tight. I paid him $200 to install new staps. Another plumber told me the noise was something broke inside the water heater and he wanted $1500 for a new heater.

Last week I saw a post that best line wrote about the difference between water hammering pipes and vibration. I went to write best line a message and his thing is banned, so I call him on the phone

What a grouchy b..... I did not realize it was 11 pm. The guy who answers the phone asks me if I have a toilet and I tell him yes. He asks me for my phone number and tells me to throw two aspirins in my toilet and tells me that he'll call first thing in the morning. I ask him why he wants me to put two aspirins in the toilet and he tells me, if you want my help you need to do what I tell you to do.

I really didn't expect this guy to call me in the morning and he does. The only thing he says is he tells me to go to my customers house and to call when I get there. When I get to the customers house he asks when the pipes make noise and I tell him it occurs for a few minutes after a fixture is used. I get to the customers house and he tells me to turn off the toilet valves and turn on and off some fixtures. I tell him that the pipes hum for about two minutes.

Then, this guy tells me that he knows what the problem is and he will come over and tell me for $350. I ask him if he will fix the problem and he say no he will just mark the problem area with a piece of chalk. I asked him why he wanted so much just to mark the problem with chalk and he said he was going to charge me $1 for the chalk and $349 to tell me what to mark.

I figured this guy was really nuts and then he tells me that after a fixture is turned off, the water compresses like air. He tells me that after the water is off the pressure inside the pipes and especially inside the water heater need to reach an equilibrium. Therefore, after the water is turned off there is still a lot of flow and activity in the system.

He told the problem was in one of two places. Either a bad pressure regulator or a bad water meter. Since there was no regulator, I went to the water meter and sure enough the sound was very loud. The water company changed the customer's water meter yesterday and so far the customer has not called me back.

I wonder why I had to pay so much and I wonder if best line was joking when they said that wanted $350 just to tell me what the problem was. Hopefully, this works and I get the $2500 my customer owes me.

You guys are great. I solved a lot of problems. I don't want something for nothing. I am going to send best line a hundred bucks. They will probably still want the whole $350. Do you think $350 would be fair if they had to come to Anaheim to solve the problem?
        Good day Leonard or Jack.
        sigpic

Comment

Say what Mr. New Hampshire Plumber

You are running neck-to-next and 1st or 2nd of the brighest plumbers on the net. I just love the way you say you get your point across with so few words.
          Where were you born?

I been to Hampton beach a few time in July. Put my toes in the water and they instantly turned purpple. Beautiful state.

I see you've been around the block a few times.

Maybe I'll be seeing you'll stop by at the next Cabinet Builder's Convention when in Vegas.

I am Art the cabinet Master - Master Of Cabinets - Cabinet Extraordinaire!

I really love your posts!

Comment

To Mr. Newhampsihe:

Dare you say that Bestline's web site is a mess? What do you see so
            I can tell him.

I'm taking the kids to the movies so I won't be around to chat. Last time I said I taking the kids out for the evening I was banned. Can't figure it out!

I can't fool you. Hopefully, no one else has caught on yet. I have a big day tomorrow. I have by desk cleaned, waxed the floors, had a beautiful sign put on the front my building yesterday, have to go get a few cases of beer, sandwiches, and some cookies. I'll get them drunk first. Do you think they will be afraid to eat the sandwiches?

On the net you can be anything and anybody you want to be.

I really do love your posts. I need to go to Massachusetts in October and would love for you to buy me a dinner or we can go Dutch?

Leonard

Comment

Leonard, Jack, and now Art?

One more and you can be Quadrophenic

Comment

To Mr. Newhampsihe:

I can tell him.

I'm taking the kids to the movies so I won't be around to chat. Last time I said I taking the kids out for the evening I was banned. Can't figure it out!

I can't fool you. Hopefully, no one else has caught on yet. I have a big day tomorrow. I have by desk cleaned, waxed the floors, had a beautiful sign put on the front my building yesterday, have to go get a few cases of beer, sandwiches, and some cookies. I'll get them drunk first. Do you think they will be afraid to eat the sandwiches?

I really do love your posts. I need to go to Massachusetts in October and would love for you to buy me a dinner or we can go Dutch?

Leonard
                Hampton beach is about 20 minutes away from me now though I grew up in Portsmouth. We tend to stay away this time of year because of the tourist infestation.

When I log on to bestline's site I get a lot of red text over blue text and missplaced hyper text. Might be my browser, I'm using firefox right now.
                sigpic

Comment

Quadrophenic?

I hope that is good. Add City Girl and I am Quadrophenic. I think?

So, what is the answer? If the customer wasted all that money on previous plumbers and the customer still had the problem, do you think I would be charging too much if I charged $350 for this advice that solved the problem?

My next question is, if you think my price is too high then I would ask you why should I charge the same low price as plumbers who could not solve the problem?

Another point is, the value that the customer gets. The price is not important since no other plumber solved the problem and the customer wasted a lot of money and time. This is a fairly true story.

Leonard, City Girl, Art, and Jack contributed to this post.

You are going to get to meet all of them tomorrow, except City Girl will not be back from the Philippines until late Sunday or Tuesday. I have not communicated with her for 3 days. Going to the movies now. I'll miss you. Is this spamming?

Comment

Mr. New Hampshire Plumber

Thank you. I use Fire Fox myself and the letters are blurry. I thought it was my computer because it looked better with Internet Explorer.

Thank you.

Leonard

Comment

Re: Quadrophenic?

So, what is the answer? If the customer wasted all that money on previous plumbers and the customer still had the problem, do you think I would be charging too much if I charged $350 for this advice that solved the problem?

My next question is, if you think my price is too high then I would ask you why should I charge the same low price as plumbers who could not solve the problem?

Another point is, the value that the customer gets. The price is not important since no other plumber solved the problem and the customer wasted a lot of money and time. This is a fairly true story.

You are going to get to meet all of them tomorrow, except City Girl will not be back from the Philippines until late Sunday or Tuesday. I have not communicated with her for 3 days. Going to the movies now. I'll miss you. Is this spamming?
                      You can't get it through your head. The majority do not care what you charge.

So stop trying to get approval from everyone for what you charge. Yes....YOU ARE.

J.C.

Comment

You are running neck-to-next and 1st or 2nd of the brighest plumbers on the net. I just love the way you say you get your point across with so few words.
                        Where were you born?

I been to Hampton beach a few time in July. Put my toes in the water and they instantly turned purpple. Beautiful state.

I see you've been around the block a few times.

Maybe I'll be seeing you'll stop by at the next Cabinet Builder's Convention when in Vegas.

I am Art the cabinet Master - Master Of Cabinets - Cabinet Extraordinaire!

I really love your posts!
                        To Mr. Newhampsihe:

I can tell him.

Leonard

Thank you. I use Fire Fox myself and the letters are blurry. I thought it was my computer because it looked better with Internet Explorer.

Thank you.

Leonard
                        You're a loser.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 07-14-2008, 08:25 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

To Mr. Newhampsihe:

I can tell him.

Leonard
                          leonard, believe it or not, we don't drink. but i do enjoy a good milkshake

i hope we will be able to get everything done since time is an issue with some.

if all goes well, i'll continue the meeting when you get back if we can't finish.

so lets get ready to get down to business. figure about 10-10:30. i'm sure we'll call ahead to warn you

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Wow being relatively new on here I am kinda confused as to what is going on here If anyone could explain I would appreciate it ?????

Comment

Look up any threads containing posts by "bestline" 1, 2, 3 or 4. And "city girl".
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                                Look up any threads containing posts by "bestline" 1, 2, 3 or 4. And "city girl".
                                Don't forget these: Victorina C. (banned, posts removed by admin) and "You Are The Problem" "Arts Cabinets"

Maybe some others?

Comment

Working...
                                X