X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humming pipes

I've had a problem over the last year or so with loudly humming pipes while and after running water anywhere in the house. Interesting thing is, I can go outside and crack the hose spigot slightly and the noise stops. I installed an expansion tank at the water heater last year and it seemed to subside for a while, but it's back again in force. If I shut off the supply to the outdoor faucet (after the regulator), it also stops. I'm sure the problem is with the long run to the outside spigot, but I'm not sure what I need to do to stop it and still have outside water.

Re: Humming pipes

What song?

J.C.

Comment

Blue Danube mainly

Comment

Originally posted by Joe T View Post
        Blue Danube mainly

I'm thinking about your problem. Someone on here will probably figure it out while my wheels are turning. Stick around and read some other posts then maybe come bace to it.

J.C.

Comment

I'll take a guess and show my ignorance since noone else has.

Check the Expansion Tank that it hasn't ruptured.

Also, did you set the pressure on the Expansion Tank before installation?

Finally, the pressure regulator could need cleaning. Could have a clogged screen in it that could cause a sound while running or rebalancing after the water is turned off.

Guessing off your information.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far... What's the recommended pressure for the expansion tank? Should it be drained from time to time?

Comment

Check the pressure on the house. Then, turn the water off, drain it down, remove the tank. Set the pressure 2psi (I think this is right, others should chime in if it's wrong) below the static pressure with an air compressor. Then reinstall it.

No, if its a bladder type Expansion Tank you should not have to drain it down periodically.

J.C.

Comment

I would have to say that the washer assembly in the spigot is loose and viberating. Change the sillcock.
                sigpic

Comment

NH. Why do you think it makes the noise before and after running anywhere in the house? That wouldn't effect the washer in the Sillcock would it?

Seriously asking.

J.C.

Comment

I'm only going there because he said if he shuts the valve off going to the sillcock the noise stops. if you take one of those apart, they have a washer\seat assembly that kind of floats. I'm guessing that water passing by the tee is causing that assembly to viberate.
                    sigpic

Comment

my guess is a bad pressure regulator.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Tried replacing the regulator last year too. At that time, water was surging when a faucet was turned on - the new regulator fixed that problem, but didn't stop the music. I think I'll stop at the Home Depot on the way home tonight and pick up a new sillcock.... can't hurt. Any thoughts on installing a water hammer arrestor in the line to the sillcock?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe T View Post
                          Tried replacing the regulator last year too. At that time, water was surging when a faucet was turned on - the new regulator fixed that problem, but didn't stop the music. I think I'll stop at the Home Depot on the way home tonight and pick up a new sillcock.... can't hurt. Any thoughts on installing a water hammer arrestor in the line to the sillcock?
                          a water hammer arrestor is a fancy word for a shock absorber.

it's designed to absorb the sudden stop and rebound when a valve is suddenly shut off fast. this will not fix a whistling noise.

if you can isolate what causes the whistling noise, then you can service or replace that valve. typically a loose washer will make a chattering noise, that will create a water hammer affect.

does the noise happen on just the cold, or does the hot do it too?

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Not 100% sure about the cold/hot question, I haven't tried to pinpoint that yet. I'll look at it tonight. I did go outside this morning before my showerand just barely opened up the sillcock and it stopped. By the way; the line going to the sillcock comes off the main after the regulator... don't outside taps usually come before the regulator? My old house did.

Comment

No, doesn't come before the regulator. Work on the sillcock or replace it since everything "seems" to be controlled by it and it's the easiest thing to do.

Good Luck.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X