X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP PLEASE!!! Dishwasher overflowing

Yikes...water everywhere. I got the water shut off and I'm trying to find the problem. I started with the float switch. Unscrewed and removed the protective cover, lifted of the golf ball shaped cover and there is a plunger in a tube. The plunger extends about a 1/4" above the top of the tube. It seems to move up and down freely. Don't see any debris around it? How else do I check it?

What do I check next? I have a digital multimeter but I'm not sure how to test the switch.

If the switch is good, what is the next most likely culprit?

Got a house full of company coming for a vacation...of course.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Re: HELP PLEASE!!! Dishwasher overflowing

How old is this dishwasher? Is it a new install? Air gap? Any chance of a drain backup, or is the pump not working?
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Why are you checking here first? Some symptom?

I'd remove the drain hose from under the sink put it in a bucket and put it through a drain cycle. If it pumps in the bucket you don't have a D/W problem but something else in the plumbing clogged.

J.C.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't think it's related to the drain. If I shut the door and push stop/reset, it pumps the water out just fine.

With the door open, as long as there is water supply to the dishwasher (emergency shut off open), water comes in the inlet. The only way to shut it off is to shut the emergency shut off.

New install, 2 years old.

Pastor Steve

(thanking God for the free gift of salvation!...in spite of dishwashers that don't work! )

Comment

KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED!
          Seriously though, if it gets into the mechanics of the appliance I usually defer to an appliance serviceperson.

J.C.

Comment

Where is it leaking from? Is it under the appliance?

If so, pull it out and check the water supply tube as well as the drain hose connection. If it's not leaking from either of those, run it through a cycle and see if it's leaking around the pump seal or for that matter any of the seals.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by boomvang View Post
              Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't think it's related to the drain. If I shut the door and push stop/reset, it pumps the water out just fine.

With the door open, as long as there is water supply to the dishwasher (emergency shut off open), water comes in the inlet. The only way to shut it off is to shut the emergency shut off.

New install, 2 years old.

Pastor Steve

(thanking God for the free gift of salvation!...in spite of dishwashers that don't work! )
              Sounds like a problem with the solenoid valve, door switch, etc. At only two years old I would contact the manufacturer. Until it gets fixed have fun doing dishes the old fashioned way.
              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Let's try to make this simple.

With the power off to the dishwasher (circuit breaker open or fuse removed) and you're sure there is NO power to the dishwasher, try opening the water shutoff valve. If water flows, then the solenoid (electric valve) is stuck and needs to be replaced. Now if when you have power off to the dishwasher, no water flows but when you turn power back on and the timer is set to off it still flows then you have timer-control problems. Have you ever had the door open and water coming into your dishwasher? If yes, the water fill solenoid valve is bad and must be replaced quick. Leave the water shutoff (manual) valve closed. You'll need to call in a good appliance repair tech for this. With it being only 2 years old this may well be under warranty.

Please give us more info. What does it require to get water entering your dishwasher. What's required to stop the water from entering? Does shutting off power work or must the manual shutoff valve be closed? I hope you have a shutoff valve just for the dishwasher so you can still use your sink. If not one needs to be installed and tagged so you know what it's for.

Comment

Working...
                X