Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
PEX problem Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PEX problem

    Ive accidently sheared off a 3/4 Pex pipe which is in concrete.
    Can I just stick a 3/4 connector in there and go?
    Can/should I use some dope?
    Thanks in advance

  • #2
    Re: PEX problem

    Nooooooooooooooooo. You are going to need to find out who's pex it is first. Then you are going to have to procure a proper tool and fittings. If it's dark shiney red in color than it's most likley Zurn Pex and standard pex fittings, either types of crimp or Uponor fittings will not work. At any rate if it's in concrete, don't use any type of compression or rubber O ring fittings.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PEX problem

      OK, It's blue...the flexible kind.
      Dont laugh but here's what Ive got to fix.
      have pad with waste and fresh water set up...while lowering outhouse which will house toilet, fork shears off pex line...
      I said dont laugh dammit!!!
      I guess the bigger question is do I need to chisel it out and work down in the pad or is there a less invasive solution.
      I pretty much have a tube that stops at pad level.
      Thanks

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PEX problem

        Had a call just tonight for a condo where a line broke in the ceiling. As soon as I heard of the location, it's a condo association that has nothing but QEST-PEX in it and it's notorious for breaks throughout the entire building.



        No
        thank
        you
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PEX problem

          sorry, but if you've sheared it off at the concrete level you are going to have to dig it out a bit to get the tool on. I think if I we're you I'd call a plumber in to do it. Might save you some money if you don't have a hammer drill and a pex tool.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PEX problem

            You are going to have to break up the concrete around the pipe enough to be able to crimp on the proper coupling and extend the pipe up for your stop . Make sure you go down far enough so that you can get on a good piece of pipe. Try not to bend the pipe to much when working on it as if it creases you will create a weak spot in the pipe which could eventually cause a future leak in your slab. If you think you can not handle this call a reliable plumber who could fix your problem in no time.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PEX problem

              Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Had a call just tonight for a condo where a line broke in the ceiling. As soon as I heard of the location, it's a condo association that has nothing but QEST-PEX in it and it's notorious for breaks throughout the entire building.



              No
              thank
              you
              Pipe or fittings?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PEX problem

                Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                Pipe or fittings?


                Usually it is both, and this product in this condo association as told by a plumbing company that has done work at it for years has said that it's usually both pipe and fittings, and the pipe seems stretched throughout the entire building.


                Meaning it shrunk after it was installed. Pipe is notorious for out of round. I don't care if sharkbites make a simple repair...I can see me just touching this stuff and someone trying the blame game on me just to gain an insurance claim even though the leak would spring somewhere else.


                All because someone wanted a fatter profit margin and listened to a sales rep promoting the "best thing since buttered bread".......tell the poor victims that.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: PEX problem

                  Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  sorry, but if you've sheared it off at the concrete level you are going to have to dig it out a bit to get the tool on. I think if I we're you I'd call a plumber in to do it. Might save you some money if you don't have a hammer drill and a pex tool.
                  Originally posted by ridgidpipe View Post
                  You are going to have to break up the concrete around the pipe enough to be able to crimp on the proper coupling and extend the pipe up for your stop . Make sure you go down far enough so that you can get on a good piece of pipe. Try not to bend the pipe to much when working on it as if it creases you will create a weak spot in the pipe which could eventually cause a future leak in your slab. If you think you can not handle this call a reliable plumber who could fix your problem in no time.
                  Another possibilty you can do is to put a piece of 1/2" pex inside(think of the 3/4" pex as a sleeve) and run your plumbing from there. 1/2" pex is enough water for a toilet.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: PEX problem

                    Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    All because someone wanted a fatter profit margin and listened to a sales rep promoting the "best thing since buttered bread".......tell the poor victims that.
                    Stopped by HD to grab a couple of dollar plugs for an inspection I was setting up for last week.
                    Fella near me excitedly says to his friend "These things are gonna put plumbers out of work!".
                    I walked over and said "I betcha thats a Sharkbite fitting in yer hand".
                    He tells me "Yes, how did you know?".
                    I just snickered, handed him a biz card and told him to call when things didn't work out.
                    The guy was practically stuttering his apologies as I walked away.
                    I just told him no apology necessary, he was investing in my future.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: PEX problem

                      Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      Another possibilty you can do is to put a piece of 1/2" pex inside(think of the 3/4" pex as a sleeve) and run your plumbing from there. 1/2" pex is enough water for a toilet.
                      My code prohibits less than 3/4" under slab, but then, my code prohibits DIY plumbing too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: PEX problem

                        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                        My code prohibits less than 3/4" under slab, but then, my code prohibits DIY plumbing too.
                        Interesting statement and it got me thinking. I checked the ipc and couldn't find anything about this.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: PEX problem

                          Nope, IPC does not address supply piping size under a slab. For that matter it allows 1 1/2 pvc under a slab also, which I believe is just plain stupid.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: PEX problem

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            Stopped by HD to grab a couple of dollar plugs for an inspection I was setting up for last week.
                            Fella near me excitedly says to his friend "These things are gonna put plumbers out of work!".
                            I walked over and said "I betcha thats a Sharkbite fitting in yer hand".
                            He tells me "Yes, how did you know?".
                            I just snickered, handed him a biz card and told him to call when things didn't work out.
                            The guy was practically stuttering his apologies as I walked away.
                            I just told him no apology necessary, he was investing in my future.

                            Yes indeed.



                            I'm slowly starting to see sharkbites mentioned as some are leaking on forum topics across the net.


                            I simply do not agree with a rubber O-ring and water pressure, with a fitting that's so crazy loose it's scary.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: PEX problem

                              First question:

                              Why is this guy building a privy? Even if it's just a cabin or something?

                              Why does it have running water? Does he want to wash his hands?

                              If you're going to run water, why not do it right for very little more trouble & expense?

                              J.C.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X