X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Pin Hole in 1 year

Today I found the second pin hole leak in my home.
    I had found a much larger one last year that I had fixed.
    Both were on the cold pipe going to my 1st floor toilet.
    Thankfully I had the plumber that fixed the first leak put a shut off valve on this pipe so now I don't have to have the entire house without water.

I know I have a water pH problem, or at least I expect this. I am going ot get that check ASAP.
    Other then that a repairing this pipe, do I need to look into removing all of the copper in the house?
    What is this going to cost me?

This time the leak was only in the basement, last time it was in a wall.

All help is much appreciated

Re: Second Pin Hole in 1 year

Slowdown, take a deep breath and relax. Get the water analyzed, and maybe have a piece of the copper pipe cut out and tested as well. If you have a one story house on a basement, it isn't that big of a deal to repipe, two stories, and it's a big deal. But don't go off half cocked. It could be your pressure is too high, and the diameter too small, causing erosion/corrosion.

Comment

Do You have a recirc. pump on the system????? Do You have an elec> ground problem at panel or elsewhere?? This is just a shot. If You don't elec. I would suggest You get an electrician to look over the whole system
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

check your pressure.

Comment

The water might be a problem. I used to live in northern GA and the water attacks copper pipe. 15-20 years is what you can expect a copper system to last in that region. They do repipes in cpvc because of that reason.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There is a town near me that does not even let you put copper in new homes as the water will eat through the pipes in a little over a year.
            We use the CPVC for water line when we do work there.
            As far as your question about the cost there are to many factors that are unknown like how many baths, how accessible are the pipes, how much drywall needs to be removed, are all your fixtures on the same floor level, Ect...... Need to know a lot more to give you an accurate price for a job like this

Comment

No CPVC, Pex
              sigpic

Comment

At first glance from the title of your post I thought someone had a hole in one on the second hole

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Do You have a recirc. pump on the system????? Do You have an elec> ground problem at panel or elsewhere?? This is just a shot. If You don't elec. I would suggest You get an electrician to look over the whole system

2 story house with private well. House was built in late 70's. All copper piping.

1 downstairs bath with washing machine, toilet and sink.
                  1 second floor bath with shower, sink, toilet.
                  They are top of each other.

Its not recirculating or at least I assume not as there are no return pipes of any kind.

How the electrical ground of the house is in question I dont understand.
                  What exactly am I looking for here?
                  - The pluming from the well being the house ground?

My water pressure was a bit weird, it kind of comes and goes. I dont think its too high as I can not even run two sprinklers for more than an hour without loosing a ton of pressure.
                  Last edited by 1sty; 07-14-2008, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1sty View Post
                    2 story house with private well. House was built in late 70's. All copper piping.
                    This is your problem. 30+ years on a well with unbalanced PH and copper pipe.

Consider learning how to repair these leaks yourself until you can afford a complete repipe of the house. Soon the pipe will become too thin to repair.

Comment

Almost all the water is acidic here. To combat it, we install PH neutralizers, although they are a bit expensive, they do the job. If they are installed soon enough, the copper can stay. If not, then the pipes need to replaced, usually in pex here.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

The pinholes I find here are a result from high pressures and guys not reaming their pipe.

Comment

Turns out all of the piping in the basement is type M.
                          According to the plumber I had out, that means I need a repipe.
                          He counted 10 previous repairs including my previous one and the one I just made.

He mentioned the repipe would be copper up to manifolds and then PEX.

Also, there is a PH neutralizing system installed in the house. There has been for the last 3 years.

Comment

get a few prices and make sure the prices all call out the same type of pex you cant compare say wirsbo with say zurn. I would go with either Wirsbro or Watts. M tubing is only supposed to be used in low pressure heating applications NOT high pressure domestic water.

Comment

Working...
                            X