X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: febco 825y leak

In ohio-- you cant even look at a backflow without a state license--all have to be tested 1 x per year--no homeowner or plumber can touch without a license--
    also if you have a fast closing valve downstream--maybe a sprinkler valve??--it will intermittently spit every time the valve operates-- i solve this by installing a soft seated check valve downstream of the device-- always works

if it is always leaking,non stop--rick is right--the #2 check is torn or worn or has debris on it---- most devices have reversible disks and u can flip them over

if you dont want problems---swap it out for a wilkins 975 xl

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
      In ohio-- you cant even look at a backflow without a state license--all have to be tested 1 x per year--no homeowner or plumber can touch without a license--
      also if you have a fast closing valve downstream--maybe a sprinkler valve??--it will intermittently spit every time the valve operates-- i solve this by installing a soft seated check valve downstream of the device-- always works

if it is always leaking,non stop--rick is right--the #2 check is torn or worn or has debris on it---- most devices have reversible disks and u can flip them over

The #1 check could also be fouled.

I like the Wilkins but I've had two this year with a bad seat under the #2 check. One was cracked and the other just crumbled.
      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

They are more expensive but I like the Watts 909. Ok, the factory is practically in my back yard and the rep is a friend of mine.
        sigpic

Comment

Would an RPZ be necessary if a sprinkler system had it's own dedicated meter with dual checks in the meter?

J.C.

Comment

RPZ or PRV, yes. Leaky reliefs like this are as often as not leaky first checks. Cheaper to have the guy testing it fix it too, since his truck charge is usually going to be built into his test fee. By the way, I hate the Wilkins 975's.
            sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

Trying to figure out your comment
              A state licensed plumber in Ohio can instal a backflow device but you need the backflow certification in order to inspect the device

Comment

I don't know if you test, jr, but if you did you might not like the Wilkins so much. The check just upstream of the device works better, holds the pressure in the first chamber to a more consistent level.
                sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

You are supposed to have a backflow license to install and test--most cities dont follow this yet, but try to put one in in elyria--he will threaten to keep you from working there-by the book, your supposed to have the license to put it in-- read the book--ALSO just did a job in geneva and i had to put it in--they would not let our install plumbers do it--wadsworth is this way too--he actually came out to watch me test and asked me a million questions-like he wasnt sure if i had someone else do the work
                  Last edited by plumberjr; 07-26-2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

And yes i test about a day and a half per week---the wilkins rep is a good friend
                    it just seems like im failing more watts and replacing more watts devices ---i see pretty much half wilkins-half watts---very rarely do i see a conbraco or febco. Ames are always on the fire line though-- and the threaded cams are pretty easy to replace,but very expensive

Comment

In Wisconsin, a plumber can install the rp but it has to be tested by someone who has a cross connection control tester licsense.

Comment

Working...
                      X