X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• febco 825y leak

Hello new here to the forum found it by searching for some trouble shooting on a febco 825y this backflow preventer has been leaking out the discharge. I started looking real close and noticed that it only leaks when there is no flow through the 825.. but when there is flow it will stop leaking out the discharge. Is this something that can be repaired or will this need to be replaced. If im not mistaken this has been in use for over 15yrs. and has never been worked on.

Re: febco 825y leak

you should have someone in to rebuild the innards. In NY they are required to do so every 5 years. Yours may be dripping though out the relief port if there is a fluctuation in pressure on the City side of the RPZ (reduced pressure zone) Backflow Preventer. If a rebuild doesnt fix the problem have your plumber install a PRV or pressure reducing valve before the RPZ and it should fix the problem. You do have it tested every year as per the manufacturers recommendation correct?

Comment

There's a good chance it's leaking because you have a backflow situation. That's what the discharge does. Yoy really need the proper instrumentation to evaluate the valve properly. More times than I care to remember, backflow preventers have been totally re-built only to have the same problems.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        There's a good chance it's leaking because you have a backflow situation. That's what the discharge does. Yoy really need the proper instrumentation to evaluate the valve properly. More times than I care to remember, backflow preventers have been totally re-built only to have the same problems.
        This could also just be fluctuating pressures on the city side of the backflow.... wouldnt a PRV to stabalize the pressure address this? I could be wrong though

Comment

We've used double checks to stablize fluctuating pressure.

Comment

Absolutly, a PRV is definatly needed if the city pressure fluctuates. My company has contracts to test and repair municipal backflow preventers for three cities. Many times we will be called it to service a supposedly bad back flow valve that is leaking from the over flow. 9 times out of ten the valve is not the problem, it is doing it's job. That's why on the larger sizes the discharge is often square or has no threads so that a pipe can not be attached and the discharge will be noticed. I have a rule that no one touches a BFP untill the gauges have been put to it. By the way, rebuilding a BFP without testing it afterwards is a waste of time, even if is doesn't leak.
            sigpic

Comment

typically there is a spec of dirt / rust under the second check valve inbedded into the rubber seat washer.

depending on the size, it can have a decent spring that can launch out if your're not aware of its workings. usually on 3'' and larger be very careful.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                you should have someone in to rebuild the innards. In NY they are required to do so every 5 years. Yours may be dripping though out the relief port if there is a fluctuation in pressure on the City side of the RPZ (reduced pressure zone) Backflow Preventer. If a rebuild doesnt fix the problem have your plumber install a PRV or pressure reducing valve before the RPZ and it should fix the problem. You do have it tested every year as per the manufacturers recommendation correct?
                its been about a yr, now that it was tested and was good. i did take off the caps and on the 1st check the rubber seat was like chewed up. it cant be sealing good. the 2ed was in good shape...

Comment

Originally posted by dema View Post
                  its been about a yr, now that it was tested and was good. i did take off the caps and on the 1st check the rubber seat was like chewed up. it cant be sealing good. the 2ed was in good shape...
                  replace both rubber seat washers. also check the seat surface for scarring and pitting. if bad, you need to replace them.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

What size is the RPZ?

Comment

Make sure you test the bfp before you continue with your repairs, Like others have said, you may have a backflow condition or it needs to be rebuilt. After the rebuild make sure it is tested and have the report sent to the local authorities having jursidiction.

Comment

I've said thios before, but I'll say it again, only because I am a certified BFP tester. No one, not even a licensed master plumber with 50 years experiance. Not even the guy that designed the valve, should ever, ever lay a hand on it without having test equipment and knowing how to use it. Anything else is hit or miss and you can be held liable if you get it wrong. That's why we are required to be certified, and all test results go to the state. Yes it may have dirt under the seat, yes it was tested a year ago and it's ok, yes maybe the diaghpragm is ratty, and yes it does not take a rocket scientist to replace the parts. But when you get through how do you know the valve is operating properly? Just because it stopped leaking means nothing. The test guages are damn expensive, and getting certified is a pain also, but well worth the expense.
                        sigpic

Comment

Replace the garbage febco with a quality wilkins 975 xl

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            I've said thios before, but I'll say it again, only because I am a certified BFP tester. No one, not even a licensed master plumber with 50 years experiance. Not even the guy that designed the valve, should ever, ever lay a hand on it without having test equipment and knowing how to use it. Anything else is hit or miss and you can be held liable if you get it wrong. That's why we are required to be certified, and all test results go to the state. Yes it may have dirt under the seat, yes it was tested a year ago and it's ok, yes maybe the diaghpragm is ratty, and yes it does not take a rocket scientist to replace the parts. But when you get through how do you know the valve is operating properly? Just because it stopped leaking means nothing. The test guages are damn expensive, and getting certified is a pain also, but well worth the expense.
                            In the areas I work any plumber/owner is allowed to repair them but then a tester has to certify them. That being said I only had one customer who wanted to repair his own. After a while he got tired of it through as I would show up fail the assembly then charge him a second (or third or forth) time to come back.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              In the areas I work any plumber/owner is allowed to repair them but then a tester has to certify them. That being said I only had one customer who wanted to repair his own. After a while he got tired of it through as I would show up fail the assembly then charge him a second (or third or forth) time to come back.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X