Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    Good, as long as he takes the job I'll settle down.
    Then I guess you are gonna be stuck with your feathers ruffled, Duck
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
      Sure. Crawl under this house without your shirt, and while your down there do this job.
      No lie, I hadn't seen your post before I posted.

Comment

It would be a shame to lose all of this valuable information because a couple of members get cranky when they stay up past their bedtime.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

It would be a shame to lose all of this valuable information because a couple of members get cranky when they stay up past their bedtime.

Mark
          You're right. I have a 7 am networking breakfast. Good Night Sweet dreams everybody!
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Not just me Joey, the majority of other plumbers on this thread disagree with his estimate.
            He should never have volunteered specifics on price or time, it's wrong.

When you aren't the one doing the work or haven't seen the job you have NO right to offer an estimate, but he does it all the time.
            This isn't intended as an outright antagonistic act...there IS a point here.
            He needs to do that job, put his money where his mouth is, or stop offering free estimates online for other plumbers to live up to.
            do you still not get it

the guy was asking for a ballpark price. based on his pretty decent description i gave him my pretty good guesstimate.

considering he already had a $1600 price from his regular plumber that he posted the next day. i would say my guess was right on target for what he was looking at.

now if the plumber who actually looked at the job and used my guesstimate for the price to get the job. he would be as big a fool as you are right now.

if you don't want to help out on a forum that is open to both pros and homeowners and diy's then honestly, go back to your other forum you joined and have fun getting bored. amazing you are still up at 2am est.

i guess the phone hasn't rung today

get established and get to the point you need to turn away work. then you won't be so bitter when i give honest advise. it doesn't happen overnight as i've tried to say for the last 4 years

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have learned a lot already from both rick and duck...now you two need to kiss and make friends.
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Rick, the way you brag about your plumbing business, I'd think you'd be a retired millionaire by now.
                How long have you been at it? Me. Only one year in business. I ain't making much...yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  Then I guess you are gonna be stuck with your feathers ruffled, Duck
                  Not at all.
                  This is where you guys don't read me well.
                  I think it's rediculous when I see anyone offer free estimates, hard earned experience or openly discuss prices with total strangers online.
                  Rick does that compulsively, personally I'm sure he's a great guy, but to a fault it would seem.

He mentioned Bestline above, seeming to not realize I had no part of that conundrum...though another member was responsible for posting his site here, Rick was the one to pursue the topic right up to meeting the guy in person. (the whole thing was silly...was he going to rough him up if he were a bad guy?)

Turns out the price gouger wasn't such a bad guy afterall.
                  In fact, I even welcomed him to the forum when he first popped in.

My experience with Ricks posts is that maybe he undersells himself, after 30+ years I would think he'd be alot further along on the finance/business end of the deal.

As for turning work away, I do too...did today because I know the person who referred the job and don't care if they find someone else.

I find myself wondering if maybe it's easier to be angry with those who are more successful than it is to stand up to fear or maybe take some risks...either way there is MUCH to learn from the whole thing.

Feathers, not ruffled...just neatly perched in a place to learn something.
                  Maybe experience, or maybe just what not to do.

Again, he really should just do this job to shut me up.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    do you still not get it

the guy was asking for a ballpark price. based on his pretty decent description i gave him my pretty good guesstimate.

considering he already had a $1600 price from his regular plumber that he posted the next day. i would say my guess was right on target for what he was looking at.

now if the plumber who actually looked at the job and used my guesstimate for the price to get the job. he would be as big a fool as you are right now.

if you don't want to help out on a forum that is open to both pros and homeowners and diy's then honestly, go back to your other forum you joined and have fun getting bored. amazing you are still up at 2am est.
                    You'd be very surprised at how many mebers here have joined that forum...careful with the insults McGruff.
                    i guess the phone hasn't rung today
                    Oh, it has...and I'm not up to scheduling a thing for a day or two, I deserve a break after working even on the 4rth.
                    get established and get to the point you need to turn away work. then you won't be so bitter when i give honest advise. it doesn't happen overnight as i've tried to say for the last 4 years
                    I turn work away now.
                    rick.
                    Petty insult...not a real strong point in your argument, whatever that argument is.
                    I'll say it again, free online estimates are wrong, do the job, get it done in 8 hours...make me eat crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      Rick, the way you brag about your plumbing business, I'd think you'd be a retired millionaire by now.
                      How long have you been at it? Me. Only one year in business. I ain't making much...yet.
                      Not trying to drag you into a debate or use your words for my own agenda, but thats part of my point.
                      And...I still don't think it's an 8 hour job for one guy...ya superplumber you.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. I didn't say 8 hours, I said one day. Maybe 10 hours... I don't freakin' know since I haven't seen the job.

Comment

The last crawlspace cast-iron repipe I did was around 40' of pipe and it took me 5 hours. By myself. I was sore after though.

Comment

I'd easily wager 2 guys in 8 hours, one running stock, the licensed guy scrambling along on his back, passing & recieving demo & stock from the runner.
                            If it were even a foot or two more I'd say maybe one guy in a day...but where you can't even duckwalk, the time is drastically increased.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              The last crawlspace cast-iron repipe I did was around 40' of pipe and it took me 5 hours. By myself. I was sore after though.
                              Last crawl I did was just over 30' of 2" PVC for a laundry tie-in, it only took me a maybe 2 hours including cutting into the 4" CI stack, but there was no demo...the space was about 36" high so I was able to move around a lot faster.

Picture having your cordless, a bucket of tools, snap cutter, pipe, fittings, hangers, cord & drop light and the mess from CI demo while trying to manipulate all that sliding around on your back or belly...alone that isn't 8 hours for over 7 lengths.

Comment

I seem to be on both sides of this. I would never give a price on a job unseen, too many variables involved. The homeowner usually sugar coats the job, when they tell me how easy the job will be, that scares me. As far as the time to do it, IF it is "as described", it could be done in a day. I used to do copper repipes on mobile homes everyday....two guys, complete repipe, one day.
                                The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X