Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Reasonable cost to replace drain line? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

    Dunbar is my new hero!

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: Call Me

      Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
      He's been having a pituitary gland problem.
      Funny. I haven't heard or used that word since high school health class.

      Comment


      • #33
        I have nothing to do with this

        I received a call from someone asking if I have anything to do with these posts. I have asbolutely nothing do do with them.

        I did not start this thread and have nothing to do with it.

        The problem I see with this forum is not the new members like me. The entire problem is the way the old members (certainly not everyone) bash the new members because they disagree.

        The forum (Josh) needs to set some rules and oust the old members who use abbreviations for profanity.

        This is embarassing to the plumbing profession. There is no excuse for beating up Ready Plumbing the way someone did.

        Restricting or screening members is not going to make a difference. I was in the Plumber's Discussion List over 12 years ago. You had to get approved to get in and they had the exact same problem with the way people bashed each other. The only difference was the public (not knowingly) could access the posts. If we need to hide what we post, then perhaps we are not saying the right things.

        I was trying really hard to concentrate on my business. I have nothing to do with this thread. I have to use my alias after being implicated in this mess.

        Try asking poor Ready Plumbing a few questions rather than telling him what he is. Make some rules for all members. Stop blaming the newbies for the problems. I am not your problem.

        Jack

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: I have nothing to do with this

          Originally posted by Arts Cabinets View Post
          I received a call from someone asking if I have anything to do with these posts. I have asbolutely nothing do do with them.

          I did not start this thread and have nothing to do with it.

          The problem I see with this forum is not the new members like me. The entire problem is the way the old members (certainly not everyone) bash the new members because they disagree.

          The forum (Josh) needs to set some rules and oust the old members who use abbreviations for profanity.

          This is embarassing to the plumbing profession. There is no excuse for beating up Ready Plumbing the way someone did.

          Restricting or screening members is not going to make a difference. I was in the Plumber's Discussion List over 12 years ago. You had to get approved to get in and they had the exact same problem with the way people bashed each other. The only difference was the public (not knowingly) could access the posts. If we need to hide what we post, then perhaps we are not saying the right things.

          I was trying really hard to concentrate on my business. I have nothing to do with this thread. I have to use my alias after being implicated in this mess.

          Try asking poor Ready Plumbing a few questions rather than telling him what he is. Make some rules for all members. Stop blaming the newbies for the problems. I am not your problem.

          Jack
          OK here is a question for Ready Plumbing, Do you have a GREEN CARD?? Also could you please learn English and spelling so we know what you are trying to say!! I'm sure that you guys in California can understand this Mexican stuff but us folks in Ohio don't have a clue what he is saying!! God Bless America and Illegal Immigrants as they take away the jobs of tax paying Americans!!!!!
          Mike

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

            When a new member enters the professional plumbing forum and openly boasts of unlicensed work to the licensed plumbers who have bled to get where they are, there's going to be adversity.

            Jack, Leonard or whatever your name is, pardon the rude treatment of the newbie, but I for one would be perfectly happy to see him go.
            New members don't get adverse treatment for no reason...simply ask many of the newer regulars, Service Guy, JCPlumbing, NHMaster, Masterplumb, SlimTim (as long as it's NOT a river birch!) or any of the members I've seen join this forum in the last year...everyone who's legitimate and respectful has been greeted with open arms on this forum.

            As for Ready Plumbing...I really hope this guy realizes his "helper" just threw him in front of the bus...it wouldn't be surprising to hear the local board got a call regarding his biz practices.

            My states website is inundated with the names of fools who have opted to allow unlicensed guys to illegally work under their licenses, our board does not take that lightly.

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

              Nicely worded DuckButter
              Mike

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                Sometimes I think Duckbutter is my long lost twin brother. Good post.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                  Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                  Sometimes I think Duckbutter is my long lost twin brother. Good post.

                  Hey, you told me the same thing Geeze, how many long lost brothers you have??
                  sigpic

                  Robert

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: To jrowler

                    Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                    The materials wold cost a lot more than that...what about all the fittings and support-hangers? And 4 hours would not be enough time, it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.
                    Plumber rick said two guys-4 hours, and he is wishful thinking a bit imo...it would probably take longer in reality.
                    Some have mentioned two factors we have absolutely NO way of knowing here...
                    Number of connections to the 2" & height of the crawlspace.
                    Giving a homeowner a price online will often give that homeowner a subconscious license to expect that as a price.

                    If there are half a dozen hard to reach connections and the space is 18" all the way...do you really think crawling along on your back that this job could be done in a day along with testing & inspection?

                    I constantly come in contact with disillusioned homeowners who conveniently guage the ballpark price on whatever resources they can get their hands on.
                    Tell this guy $1200 to $1500 and I guarantee you he'll only remember the $1200 figure...then when the real life plumbers give him estimates for $3 to $4k, he'll continue to look for that $1200 figure.

                    I won't discuss the cost of replacing a faucet online, nevermind something like this, not in an open forum where I could be cutting the throats of others in area's where prices could be completely different than mine.
                    Last edited by DuckButter; 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                      Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                      Hey, you told me the same thing Geeze, how many long lost brothers you have??
                      Maybe we were triplets or more! More likely its just that I happen to think along the same lines as you guys, since we have similar businesses and values in life. Plumbing is a brotherhood.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                        Interesting for an civilian to see how pros feel about this.

                        One correction: not an 11" crawl space. 24" in some places but watch for the nails sticking through the subflooring, 18" in others, pipes in the way requiring over-or-under decision. I used to wear elbow and knee pads and crawl like a soldier under machine gun fire. It was ok ten years ago, but not anymore at my age.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: To jrowler

                          Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          Some have mentioned two factors we have absolutely NO way of knowing here...
                          Number of connections to the 2" & height of the crawlspace.
                          Giving a homeowner a price online will often give that homeowner a subconsacious license to expect that as a price.

                          If there are half a dozen hard to reach connections and the space is 18" all the way...do you really think crawling along on your back that this job could be done in a day along with testing & inspection?

                          I constantly come in contact with disillusioned homeowners who conveniently guage the ballpark price on whatever resources they can get their hands on.
                          Tell this guy $1200 to $1500 and I guarantee you he'll only remember the $1200 figure...then when the real life plumbers give him estimates for $3 to $4k, he'll continue to look for that $1200 figure.

                          I won't discuss the cost of replacing a faucet online, nevermind something like this, not in an open forum where I could be cutting the throats of others in area's where prices could be completely different than mine.
                          Thats a great point. I almost didn't reply at all to this thread for the same reasons as you point out. Plumber rick made it sound easy without even looking at it. Big mistake. My own estimate also could be way off, I always tell my customers that I will not give any realistic pricing until I have physically seen the job!
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                            Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Sometimes I think Duckbutter is my long lost twin brother. Good post.
                            If you've never talked to Robert you'd be VERY surprised...you two have alot in common as well.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: To jrowler

                              Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                              Thats a great point. I almost didn't reply at all to this thread for the same reasons as you point out. Plumber rick made it sound easy without even looking at it. Big mistake. My own estimate also could be way off, I always tell my customers that I will not give any realistic pricing until I have physically seen the job!
                              I want to be clear, Rick has his forte's.
                              We all do.
                              Not looking to beat him up here, but thats a pet peeve of mine...offering free advice or prices online might seem like a "nice" thing to do, but it's a recipe for disaster.

                              Ask Rick what stem belongs in a 30 yr old discontinued/obsolete faucet and he could tell you where to buy it, for how much the part will cost from memory alone...he has his strengths and I'm not trying to simply lash out at him blindly.

                              I just don't understand the thinking behind quoting even a ballpark price to a homeowner for a job like this online, it's impossible to know the variables.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                                Originally posted by jrowler View Post
                                Interesting for an civilian to see how pros feel about this.

                                One correction: not an 11" crawl space. 24" in some places but watch for the nails sticking through the subflooring, 18" in others, pipes in the way requiring over-or-under decision. I used to wear elbow and knee pads and crawl like a soldier under machine gun fire. It was ok ten years ago, but not anymore at my age.
                                Thats the point, this isn't like working out in the open...it'll have to be done on the back of whoever does it...and that won't happen in a day.
                                The plumber(s) will have to drag tools, fittings, pipe, dsrtop light and extension cord with CI snap cutter or electric grinder along with him.
                                70-80 feet of this isn't easy, not at all.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X