Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

    We had our drain pipe snaked (again) and were told the 45 year-old 2" cast iron part of the run really needs to be replaced, as it is severely blocked and starting to leak in places. I'm wondering what a reasonable price might be to have this done. We're in north LA county, where plumbers seem to keep busy--at least in our area. Here is the job:

    1) Remove 70-80' of 2" cast iron and replace with ABS.
    2) All of it is in the U-shaped crawlspace under the house, which is tight but navigable.
    3) Access is through an opening in the master bedroom closet (have to keep things clean).
    4) Pipe can be removed, supplied through one of the vents in the side of the house.
    5) The run starts beneath a deepsink in the garage, makes a turn past the kitchen at the back of the house, turns again to pick up a cleanout line, tub and sink in the master bedroom, then merges into 3" cast iron; the job ends at the merge.

    I'm hoping to find out what a reasonable price range might be before I make my calls. Is this an acceptable question for this forum?

  • #2
    Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

    Originally posted by jrowler View Post
    We had our drain pipe snaked (again) and were told the 45 year-old 2" cast iron part of the run really needs to be replaced, as it is severely blocked and starting to leak in places. I'm wondering what a reasonable price might be to have this done. We're in north LA county, where plumbers seem to keep busy--at least in our area. Here is the job:

    1) Remove 70-80' of 2" cast iron and replace with ABS.
    2) All of it is in the U-shaped crawlspace under the house, which is tight but navigable.
    3) Access is through an opening in the master bedroom closet (have to keep things clean).
    4) Pipe can be removed, supplied through one of the vents in the side of the house.
    5) The run starts beneath a deepsink in the garage, makes a turn past the kitchen at the back of the house, turns again to pick up a cleanout line, tub and sink in the master bedroom, then merges into 3" cast iron; the job ends at the merge.

    I'm hoping to find out what a reasonable price range might be before I make my calls. Is this an acceptable question for this forum?
    this is a job that 1 person can do, but 2 is easier as the old pipe needs to be removed from under the house. sounds like it involves a few fixtures and tees/ wyes.
    $1200-$1500 for 2 guys and 4 hours of work. the material is inexpensive. the labor is the factor.
    there will be companies that are a lot higher and companies that are a lot less.

    get a few referrals from friends and neighbors. don't just call random companies that advertise. make sure the price includes the removal of the old pipe and trash.

    are you sure the pipe is not cleanable and leaking? has it been properly snaked or jetted?

    do you feel comfortable with the original diagnosis?

    rick.
    phoebe it is

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      this is a job that 1 person can do, but 2 is easier as the old pipe needs to be removed from under the house. sounds like it involves a few fixtures and tees/ wyes.
      $1200-$1500 for 2 guys and 4 hours of work. the material is inexpensive. the labor is the factor.
      there will be companies that are a lot higher and companies that are a lot less.

      get a few referrals from friends and neighbors. don't just call random companies that advertise. make sure the price includes the removal of the old pipe and trash.

      are you sure the pipe is not cleanable and leaking? has it been properly snaked or jetted?

      do you feel comfortable with the original diagnosis?

      rick.
      Go for it Rick.
      Oh,And by the way there is only 11" of space clear between floor joist and grade making the building main buried three and a half feet deep.

      Sight unseen?
      I'm going with $40,000


      Adam

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

        Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Go for it Rick.
        Oh,And by the way there is only 11" of space clear between floor joist and grade making the building main buried three and a half feet deep.

        Sight unseen?
        I'm going with $40,000


        Adam
        i figured that i was going to use you for the tight spots.

        no in and out double doubles until we're done

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

          Hopefully you remove the 3" x 2" tie in. Very important. Most of the problems happen in that fitting before it drops into the main.

          Estimating over the computer, sight unseen, in my mind, very unprofessional and hard to do.

          How many verticles tie in? changes the price

          You said "Closet Access" the room and hallway to the door have to be papered up, plumbers come out of the crawlspace very dusty. how much needs to be covered? changes the price

          verticles also?? changes the price

          tight crawl? changes the price

          Many things change the price, in my mind, to give a proper professional estimate, one would have to see the job.

          Make sure you get pictures of your current pipe. the plumber should have a digital camera and printer in his vehicle to supply you with correct information.

          my guess $100-$30,000
          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling like a 3 year old.
          sigpic

          Robert

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

            I didn't ask for an estimate, just some idea what might be reasonable--I won't be calling Rick in to do the job based on his post! Rereading my post I can say there are no surprises other than I should have placed a bit more emphasis on 'tight' over 'navigable', but I have strung phone line, TV cable, etc down there myself, though with lots of cussing and aches and pains.

            Yes, I'm comfortable with the diagnosis, as it explains why the line needs snaking every six months or so and has been slowly getting worse. The plumber was only able to clear it this time using a 1" tip--the round spring kind, no hope with the blade type. He has promised to show me the buildup in the old pipes once they're out. Plus when I mentioned the leaking I should have noted that it is coming from rusty spots on the underside of the pipe, so it would appear the pipe is on its last legs.

            I appreciate and respect all three responses. Rick's gives me the warm fuzzy feeling I was hoping for. The guy I've used for years to do the snaking quoted $1600 and one day to do the job with his helper. Since this is close to Rick's range, prices in my area tend to be high, and I trust my guy to do a good job, I will probably go with him. Includes permit and replacing the 3" x 2" tie-in.

            Many thanks.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

              There would be no way I would crawl around in a crawl space for a full day for $1200.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                Why don't you get a dedicated drain cleaner(not always a plumber) who can clean out your line and do a camera inspection. At least with the camera you'll know what's needed instead of speculating.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                  To Jrowler,
                  If the estimate is higher than Ricks...call Rick and have him do it for the price he mentioned, solution is simple!

                  $12 to $1500 for 70-80 feet of 2" CI removal in a crawlspace...please tell the plumbers estimating the work you got that for a bid...let us know the response.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To jrowler

                    Call me! Call me!


                    Are you a plumber. This sound like some previous posts from another plumber.

                    80 feet of 2 inch pipe at HD is about $48. Add another 30 bucks for couplings.
                    One plumber said $1500. $1500 - $100 materials = $1400 / 4 hours = $350 per hour. Wow!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: To jrowler

                      quote=Ready Plumbing;157828]Call me! Call me!


                      Are you a plumber. This sound like some previous posts from another plumber.

                      80 feet of 2 inch pipe at HD is about $48. Add another 30 bucks for couplings.
                      One plumber said $1500. $1500 - $100 materials = $1400 / 4 hours = $350 per hour. Wow![/quote]



                      Who are you? Are you a licensed, insured plumber or a handyman hack willing to work for nuts? Drains that last a lifetime should cost a little money.

                      You have no clue what your cost of business is? or you are just a hack.

                      People like you are killing the trade.

                      I thought Ricks price was a bit low, considering the trash removal and the closet access, the removal and replacement of the 3 x 2 wye. and running of 80' in an 11" crawlspace.



                      Ready, you must be hard up for work.
                      Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-15-2008, 07:06 PM. Reason: Wife moderated some not so nice words
                      sigpic

                      Robert

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Call Me

                        I charge only $95 an hour and I use my friend's license. Man! You sure are mean! My friend will take out my permits (maybe $60) so maybe whole job cost only $500 or $600.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Call Me

                          Originally posted by Ready Plumbing View Post
                          I charge only $95 an hour and I use my friend's license. Man! You sure are mean! My friend will take out my permits (maybe $60) so maybe whole job cost only $500 or $600.


                          I know a Ready Plumbing out of Long Beach, I have seen his or his employee's work, I was not impressed, to the fact that the guy showing me the pics had to cut out all Ready's work.

                          If you are working under his license, and doing this crap work, your destroying what little reputation he has.

                          Like I said, people like you are destroying the trade out here and because of that, the next generation will not want to work in it.

                          Hack! $600 leach.
                          sigpic

                          Robert

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Call Me

                            Originally posted by Ready Plumbing View Post
                            Man! You sure are mean!

                            I run a legitimate plumbing company in the south bay. I support my family and I run a strong company. I am not some guy using someone elses license to get a quick buck.

                            Has nothing to with being "Mean"
                            sigpic

                            Robert

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Reasonable cost to replace drain line?

                              Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                              There would be no way I would crawl around in a crawl space for a full day for $1200.
                              Agree in full.
                              Especially after taking out helpers wages.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X